1 2 3 4
failboat
failboat UberDork
5/1/16 5:13 a.m.

If the starter is located anything like my 4.3 Chevy van its a 5 minute swap.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
5/1/16 5:35 a.m.

On the subject of gauges, the police package Impalas/Caprices could be ordered with factory voltmeter, oil pressure, and water temperature "gages." In the 1989 9C1 brochure lurking on my hard drive, the SEO code is 7Z4, and there's a fighting chance that code was the same for many years. (OTOH, if you're in a junkyard with a candidate 9C1 you probably won't need to read the codes to figure out if it has the gauges.)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
5/1/16 6:56 a.m.

If it's an 84, it's a feedback carb. Those things are evil.

A daily driver challenge car needs to be safe, reliable, and cool in that order. First order would be going through the brakes and suspension, using as many junkyard upgrades as possible. Then deal with reliability, such as fluid loss, emissions simplification, cleaning up electrical connections, etc.

If there's any money left after that, then go for coolness and challenge glory.

And remember, if it's not on the car at the challenge, it doesn't hit the budget. Trailer hitch can be unbolted. Out of the budget. Etc.

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/1/16 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

The carb seems to be functioning perfectly so far. No hesitation, choke works, No oddness. I haven't driven it enough to see if the mpg is way off yet though.

I admit though electronic carbs aren't my favorite by a long shot

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/3/16 9:07 p.m.

Hmm....after filling up the tranny to halfway thru the hatchmarks,which took 2 and a half quarts, and sitting over night the problem seems worse. Slipping in first and dropping out of gear when you release the throttle. Plus some shudder and an odd noise.

The fluid smells very varnish now, my thought now is either the fluid left in the converter was super old and oxidized and mixing in New fluid is flushing out all the various things old fluid makes. I'm gonna change the fluid, maybe drop in some Lucas and see. Hopefully when I drop the pan I don't see anything bad.

If that isn't it shudder, noises and getting better as it warms up sounds like a torque converter dying. Any thoughts?

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/3/16 9:10 p.m.

I checked the tv cable too, it was tight too

MrChaos
MrChaos HalfDork
5/3/16 10:09 p.m.

at least a turbo 350/400/700r4 are cheap.

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/3/16 11:13 p.m.

True. I'm just glad it decided to do it here instead of 2700 miles from home.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
5/4/16 9:16 a.m.

Hmm, I'll have to keep an eye on this. I've got an '89 wagon that has seen some things.

Best upgrades for these from a driving perspective are 9C1 steering box (faster, less assist), replacing the steering idler bar and arm since they tend to get very loose, and make sure the self-adjusters aren't rusted and will turn freely on the drums or else they really won't work at all. Brakes are actually quite strong when they're working right, though there is too much front bias. The Hotchkis Fox shocks are quite good, with Bilsteins being the next step down followed by Monroe Severe Service shocks, the latter of which didn't hold up to my spring rates. I'm running Ford F150 front springs and Chevy C20 rear springs on mine, which is good for a straight rate 748 lb/in up front and progressive 403 lb/in in the rear. The rears may be too stiff for a sedan but are about perfect for a wagon. Budget option is Impala SS springs, but those really aren't that stiff. 9C1 springs are similar rate but taller ride height for curb jumping shenanigans. No rear bar, stock front bar on mine due to not having a posi. Wagon bars are also beefier; I think they're the same as a 9C1 but didn't get the rear bar. Rear trailing arms will also help a lot if you put sticky tires on it, since the stock ones are very flexible and I've seen more than a few where the bushing came loose in the arm. Stock is fine for average tires and power, though.

I know you're a ways from the modifications, but maybe that will get you started. Love the old box bodies.

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/4/16 10:22 a.m.

Thank you. I was actually pretty surprised by the brakes in it. The previous owner was a car guy so maybe he beefed up the brakes though too.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Reader
5/4/16 11:03 a.m.
t25torx wrote: Check out Bang Shift's project Buford T Justice. I'm sure it's pretty applicable to what you're doing here. http://bangshift.com/general-news/project-cars/chevy-projects/introducing-project-buford-t-justice-our-1987-9c1-chevy-caprice-the-adventure-begins-this-weekend/

Good lord those Soft 8s are perfect and that stance...

Sounds like we have a B-body block party happening at the '16 Challenge.

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/4/16 1:13 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

Lol yeah we do. I agree on the rims, not sure I'm gonna go that low stancewise. I still live in the county with terrible roads lol

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
5/5/16 7:27 a.m.

These things actually tolerate low pretty well, as long as you use drop spindles. I've got Belltechs on mine and put some longer springs in to offset the lowering, so there is quite a bit of travel. Only downside is that the fender liners need to be cut some and the lips have to be rolled.

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/5/16 1:22 p.m.

Figured out what the check engine light is. It's a vss fault. Since it helps control lockup would it do anything else strange with the tranny?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
5/5/16 1:48 p.m.

I don't have any answers for your questions but I'm in to watch since I think an old Caprice challenge car is an awesome idea.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/5/16 2:06 p.m.

Mmmmmmm B-body goodness.

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
5/5/16 3:00 p.m.

I need more photos of this thing!

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/5/16 5:10 p.m.
Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/5/16 5:18 p.m.

Let me know if those work, had a heck of a time getting it to work

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
5/5/16 5:31 p.m.

Worked for me!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/5/16 5:36 p.m.

You have no idea how much this makes me miss my 89 9C1.

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/5/16 5:44 p.m.

I'm glad they worked. It's in superb shape for a 500 dollar car, that One dent I'm pointing at is it on the entire body. It has One lower chrome piece missing on the passenger door and rust has eaten the corner away.....weight savings I say lol.

If it wasn't for this tranny issue it would be absolutely perfect

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/6/16 9:41 a.m.

Something I randmonly noticed... the B-bodies just didn't seem to rust as fast or as much as a lot of the other vehicles of that time period. I wonder why?

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/6/16 5:38 p.m.

Because they are coated in awesome and awesome can't rust?

MrChaos
MrChaos HalfDork
5/7/16 9:39 a.m.

MMMM that 80's brown on brown on wood grain with that brown velour.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qa1vEIsOCdEZ0Y8OOEWKZBZmcjV7OD9mym4c2Pb3JDUioF7eUDavx6RlEXZ9H4yG