WillHoonForFood
WillHoonForFood New Reader
3/1/19 6:40 p.m.

Alternate title: "I just can't quit you." Also: "Glutton for punishment."
The story started about 7 years ago, when I bought a 1985 Fiero GT for $500 from a guy who thought it had a rear main seal leak (actually a 10 cent distributor o-ring but don't tell him).

After about 3 years of constant heartbreak (and schoolwork/a job hunt getting in the way), I decided to put the car to rest with the intention of selling it... 4 years later? It's still sitting in my parents' back yard and they're sick of it.

After seeing cars in better shape go for a little over scrap metal prices, I've decided to do what any normal adult would do... Make it a Challenge car!

It looks depressing, I know. Cosmetically, it's in terrible shape. Mechanically, the fuel pump is bad, and the alternator belt needs replacing.

The only modification I had made to it (besides the Scion TC wheels), was a set of Corvette C4 brakes. The cost of that conversion was less than I paid for the car... But not by much! I estimate about $450 for the parts and the CNC-cut brackets (exact number escape me as it's been several years).

The plans? Not 100% sure, but I've recently discovered an insane AWD Mitsubishi Cordia (yeah, I'd never heard of it either until now) rally/hillclimb racer that had a V8 mounted midship, rotated backwards, attached to a tradition front engine/rear wheel drive transmission and a 4WD transfer case.

Okay, that seems ridiculous since I could probably just mount something more powerful to the current 4-speed manual, but I do have vision for the car beyond the Challenge. I'd keep it RWD just to keep from tearing into the front end. Also, parts could be cheap, but it might require stretching the car to fit a longitudinally-mounted engine (3.5 Chrysler V6?), unless I could fit a rotary engine... Now I'm definitely biting off more than I can chew here, but I would love something that's different.

Don't mind the rambling, I'm just day-dreaming at the moment. In the end, it's basically a way to quench my thirst to wrench (current DD is far too reliable) and learn to TIG.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/1/19 7:15 p.m.

I vote for either a high performance rebuild or a 3.8 Supercharged GTP engine swap.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
3/1/19 8:28 p.m.

A easy swap for the fiero is a ecotec engine and transmission, look on fiero websites

TommyWants
TommyWants New Reader
3/1/19 9:55 p.m.

Audi 4.2 v8 bolts to audi manual trans from the longitudinal FWD Era and fits into unstretched Fiero. I paid 300 for a 4.2 (ABZ) from a 99 A8 and 50 for a 5mt (DVZ) from a similar vintage a4. (Also same as boxster 5mt). Slightly newer 4.2s work as well and would like have less hiccups in the flywheel/clutch department. Run on microsquirt sloppy style. Has been done. I sold my Fiero (85 gt) and haven't settled on a project for the parts I collected yet but I miss the Fiero. 

WillHoonForFood
3/2/19 4:58 a.m.

In reply to TommyWants :

... Dude. That sounds awesome. I love the idea of an Audi V8/trans combo. I'll add that to my growing list of potential candidates.

Another potential donor currently on my mind:

A Subaru Impreza donor.

Pros: Running base-level Impreza can be found CHEAP and then parted out. I could also use the rear suspension (ala FFR 818) to replace the Fiero's terrible geometry (still only a bandaid, but a cheap one!)
Cons: The engine is down on power and questionable reliability. 

de80q
de80q Reader
3/2/19 5:51 a.m.

Here is a link to an Audi V8 swapped one on Motorgeek.  It's kind of lengthy, but lots of good info if your seriously considering it.  Just ignore the parts about the replicar body...

ABZ fiero

When I had my 84, I had seriously considered doing a 3.8l supercharged swap.  Unfortunately, the areospace frame rotted out on mine.

exST165
exST165 Reader
3/2/19 8:07 a.m.

This thread is relevant to my Fiero Challenge project!

I have often wondered about a longitudinal Audi engine but the 1.8T.  But if an in-line four has enough room longitudinally then a v8 should also fit.  How hard could it be?  Says the guy struggling to find the time to rebuild a Quad4!

Good luck WillHoonForFood!

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/2/19 12:11 p.m.

Made a Post Earlier but guess I dummied out Said nice things about both of ya'lls Fiero builds,

Be Prepared them Damn Miatar's are Everywhere, They Call 'em the Answer Roun' here

, Reminds me of a Lilly Tomlin Skit , Where she Is The Operator and ANSWER's the Phone

exST165
exST165 Reader
3/3/19 7:35 a.m.

Thanks for the kind words GTXVette.  Miatas are everywhere!

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
3/3/19 11:02 a.m.

My brother had (and briefly raced) and 88 fiero GT.  I always liked the concept, and the seating position, and the exhaust note.  When he put it up for sale I was tempted, but already have more projects than sense... Luckily it went to an other racer friend and will see some use.

WillHoonForFood
3/4/19 6:56 p.m.

Thanks guys!

The weather has been putting a huge damper on my plans to get the car back to my garage, but I'm in no rush... Well, except for the urge to start autocrossing ASAP, and while the Mazda 3 daily driver would be a good candidate to start with, I still haven't warmed up to the idea of using my DD.

BUT, I've been playing with a few ideas. So a little background first: I work for an industrial 3D scanner manufacturer as an application engineer. I actually helped 275nart by doing a little 3D scanning on his Ferrari replica build:
volvo p1800 to approximation of a ferrari 275gtb spyder : v12, 5spd, tube chassis

I definitely suggest following his thread because he's doing some cool stuff!

Anyway...
The problem:
Swapping in a different engine or modifying the current engine will leave the car garage-bound for months on end.

The solution:
Pull the engine, scan the subframe/engine bay, then reinstall engine and get to autocrossing. If I do this, I'll be able to "test fit", fabricate engine mounts, etc. without the car being down for too long.

MAYBE... If I can get my boss to give me the greenlight.wink

WillHoonForFood
3/6/19 9:12 p.m.

Just learned that you can convert Fieros to Corvair hubs so you can fit Corvette wheels... YEEEAAAAH BOOOIIII

Don't mind me, just a little buzzed and searching forums. Gotta jot this down here or else I'll forget it. More to come later.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/7/19 11:25 a.m.

front or rear Corvair hubs?   If you can use rears from 1965, i'll send you a used pair for free plus shipping.   

awalker
awalker New Reader
3/7/19 11:53 a.m.

I have a 3900 VVT swap in mine.   it has a northstar throttle body and is running Microsquirt ECM.  Right now it is pushing about 275.   It is actually in the process of getting a 72mm Turbonetics Turbo installed pushing power somewhere close to 475-500 hp.   Its lowered and i have the big brake upgrade on the front of mine as well.  Me being a body guy though have neglected my own car as far as body and paint goes. Everyone elses car comes first.   I just Finished up a Blue Wide body . 

3900 swaped car

Wide body (dont mind the Bird Poop)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/7/19 11:56 a.m.

In reply to awalker :

build threads?

awalker
awalker New Reader
3/7/19 12:06 p.m.
awalker
awalker New Reader
3/7/19 12:07 p.m.
pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/7/19 12:33 p.m.

Put the front of this: 

Into the back of the Fiero.  Bonus if you keep the steering for 4WS

WillHoonForFood
3/8/19 6:45 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Man, that would be fantastic! What are you doing to your 65?

WillHoonForFood
3/8/19 6:49 p.m.

In reply to awalker :

Nice looking Fieros!

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/8/19 7:05 p.m.

If you want to see Fiero's in action look at the Trips and adventures last Fall for our (Georgia Fiero's) annual trip through the Mountains. They call it the Run Through The Hill's   They do the Dragon some But also War Woman And Rattler, Great Roads simi Local  smiley

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/8/19 7:59 p.m.

In reply to WillHoonForFood :

Mid-mount LT1 with Audi 6MT, C4 front and rear suspension.  You know, simple stuff.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/9/19 6:47 a.m.

FUNNY , O K IMPALA IN BACK C4 FRONT.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
3/7/24 10:43 a.m.

Bump.  Any update ?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kCWaVmhIyVHG7KSwoaXjqaNlOxhr0E2UBnZqDnZN2vn1VpHo9CpWKLeSfSFqrPDK