5 6 7 8 9
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
9/27/16 3:47 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: In regard to towing a stuck competitor, what if you're fighting for an overall or class win? Do other drivers understand that you might drive passed in that situation, or should you still stop and help?

Absolutely, and chances are that those guys were seeded ahead of whoever is stuck in the ditch anyway. When we were stuck I was picky about who we flagged down for towing- I specifically waited for a car that didn't seem to be flying, if they sounded like they were going for it before they saw us we waved them by.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/27/16 6:13 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:
Lof8 wrote: In regard to towing a stuck competitor, what if you're fighting for an overall or class win? Do other drivers understand that you might drive passed in that situation, or should you still stop and help?
Absolutely, and chances are that those guys were seeded ahead of whoever is stuck in the ditch anyway. When we were stuck I was picky about who we flagged down for towing- I specifically waited for a car that didn't seem to be flying, if they sounded like they were going for it before they saw us we waved them by.

also he waved us by knowing that my 1.8 RWD had zero chance of actually pulling them out, lol.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
10/10/16 5:27 p.m.

I addressed the whistling noise from the engine bay over the weekend, it turned out to be the seal between the upper and lower intake manifold. Looks like somebody smoothed out the ports at some point:

Sealed it up with some RTV and it's nice and quiet now, except there is clearly a crack in the exhaust manifold which is leaking a bit.

Drove both rally cars since they were both running at the same time- I miss the way the RX7 turns but not much else about it. Despite the sentimental value, I probably need to clean it out and list it for sale.

Matthew Stryker, king of badass rally photos, has finished processing some of his shots from BRS- he got a few nice ones of the Merkur:

In other news, we qualified for the national championship event at ESPR! I guess that just proves that finishing a few high attrition rallies is good enough to get you in. With an $1100 entry fee and an upcoming wedding, I think we're going to sit that event out so that we can still afford to improve the brakes and some other bits over the winter.

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
10/10/16 7:48 p.m.

"You got like three feet of air that time". Kickass photos!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
10/18/16 6:35 p.m.

Remember when we got engaged in the RX7 rally thread? The Merkur got some use this past weekend

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
10/18/16 6:42 p.m.

Sweet, congratulations!

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
10/18/16 6:45 p.m.

Congrats!!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
10/18/16 7:02 p.m.

Seeing the tail light and the remains of the tow strap made me smile!

Congrats to you and Sara- I'm so happy for you!

java230
java230 Dork
10/18/16 7:25 p.m.

Woo-hoo! Congrats you guys

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
10/18/16 8:28 p.m.

Congratulations! Best-announcement-car-ever

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/19/16 6:58 a.m.

Congrats!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/19/16 7:57 a.m.

You two are adorable. Congratulations.

de80q
de80q Reader
10/19/16 8:21 a.m.

Congrats man! Wish I could get my wife anywhere near a race car...

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
10/19/16 10:47 a.m.

Awww.

Congratulations!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/19/16 10:54 a.m.

Very cool. Congratulations!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
10/19/16 11:07 a.m.

Best Wishes for you both. Congratulations!

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
10/19/16 12:17 p.m.

Congratulations!!

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
10/19/16 8:45 p.m.

Congratulations!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
11/1/16 5:28 a.m.

I've been slacking, let's get caught up a bit!

Leaving the wedding, just as we passed the crowd and shifted to second, the shifter broke- we both laughed our asses off and did a lap of the township in second gear anyway because of course we did

The cause was later determined to be even more loose bolts:

We got a couple of surprise GRM wedding gifts too- Brian (paranoid_android) sent us some sweet decals:

And on top of that, he sent us a bigass LED bar:

Thanks Brian! I've been collecting some other parts as well, and the big tear down for the winter will hopefully start this weekend.

Last weekend we went up to Empire State Performance Rally to volunteer, and saw lots of rally friends, as well as meeting Rob (bobofthefuture). Always good to meet another GRMer!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/1/16 5:45 p.m.

Looks like the same light bar we have, which we've been very happy with (along with our other Hella light bar). Doesn't throw great distance, but really is an excellent fill for close and medium and cornering.

Surprised you didn't meet Rob at BRS. I'm pretty sure you were standing right next to us at one point when we were chatting with him lol.

NickD
NickD Dork
11/2/16 6:54 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

I was up there crewing for Rob and Chris, along with Wall-E.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
11/7/16 5:09 a.m.

Started disassembly this weekend, took the ass end off (a number of bumper mounts and the mudflaps were destroyed):

Rear shocks had some issues, although the dampers themselves seem OK. DS was hitting the trailing arm and took some serious berkeleyery to remove:

That was taking away about 2" of droop travel, I guess I know why the car didn't really jump straight. Once removed I found this:

Can you see the crack? Both rear lower mounts had some damage, I'll be plating those so that hopefully this doesn't happen again. I wonder how many more hits it would have taken to break one off

Took the skid plate off too, this used to be flat:

We can cut up the remains of this one to make mini-skids for other parts of the car, I'll make a thicker one for under the engine since it didn't take much to bend this one. Looks like the bell housing took the brunt of the impact, and we're replacing that anyway.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
11/7/16 5:35 a.m.

That brake line looks WAY too close to the axle!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
11/7/16 6:27 a.m.

Wow- good catch on the mounts!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
11/7/16 6:44 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Agreed, those will be getting rerouted anyway. The car came with caliper adapters to get rid of the drums in the back, I just need to figure out what caliper they're designed for.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mb05MnpeLFmDM5NFxhwQA5nsrKH0VGXHA3jM4IMhhMkmGyMu8pmexK1DpGdUzwzX