RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
8/28/21 6:27 p.m.

Since this is a thing we do around here I figured I would start a build thread before taking delivery of a new to me project.

My BIL recently acquired a 1985 Nissan 300ZX Turbo that had been sitting in a barn for many years.  The car had a stuck brake caliper and would not start allegedly.  My BIL is not especially motivated to dig in very far and is starting engineering school this fall. My FIL wants the car out of the garage and offered it to me if I would move it. 

The car is challenge eligible from what I've been told and has some minor rust below the door sills and around the rear wheel arches, not uncommon for a car that has lived in Wisconsin it's whole life.  That's about all I know about the car. I plan on fixing the brakes, getting it running and replacing the tires.  Fingers crossed the VG30ET is in good shape. From quick googling it seems bigger injectors, intercooler and a boost controller is a quick way to make these scoot pretty good.  The wife and I are headed up to Wisconsin to hangout with some friends over Labor Day Weekend and I already have a Uhaul trailer booked for the ride back.  A few more pictures since I got them.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/21 6:52 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Nice!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/28/21 7:04 p.m.

Hell yes! Start the budget now to keep track. 

birdmayne
birdmayne New Reader
8/28/21 7:08 p.m.

Nice score! Love these in red.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/28/21 7:13 p.m.

Cool, but I think I see an automatic gear lever.  Will that stay or are you planning a third pedal?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
8/28/21 7:41 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

It is auto, phase one is just get it running.  We'll see how much I like it, I may convert it to 3 pedals or put a cage in it and make it a full blown drag car who knows.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
8/28/21 9:02 p.m.

Can I say, cam belt!  Yes, it's no fun.  

Is the transmission fluid should also be flushed.  These will work for years with no reverse, do not ask how I know.

Can you say turbo lag?  Have it pointed in the direction you want to end up.  Have a blast!

The "power" between the ignition switch and the starter could be an issue.  My mechanic rigged up a relay to get power directly from the battery to the starter, triggered by the ignition switch. No, I have no clue what he used for parts.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
8/28/21 9:56 p.m.

I hate you, and congratulations. I love these and am jealous of ya!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
8/28/21 10:42 p.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

Good info, I'll look into timing belt and if I can procure a trans filter. I can't imagine a 36 year old Nissan is going to be terribly easy to find parts for.  

birdmayne
birdmayne New Reader
8/28/21 10:56 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

In reply to jr02518 :

Good info, I'll look into timing belt and if I can procure a trans filter. I can't imagine a 36 year old Nissan is going to be terribly easy to find parts for.  

Hell of a lot easier than a 49 year old Nissan.

birdmayne
birdmayne New Reader
8/29/21 12:47 a.m.

One swap I've seen a few times in these is the VH45DE. If they VG30ET isn't cutting it, might be worth a look? 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
9/4/21 7:27 p.m.

Just finished a 12.5 hour drive and was greeted by this in the driveway of the in-laws. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
9/4/21 7:31 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

In reply to jr02518 :

You'd be surprised at what you can still get from the Nissan dealer.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
9/4/21 8:38 p.m.

This thing is going to be a bit of a project. It is pretty crusty around the wheel arches and the rocker panels. Going to need to bust out the angle grinder and the sheet metal hammers. 

And it has strong aromas and other evidence of lots of rodent activity. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
9/4/21 9:25 p.m.

The rockers and wheel arches hurt, but hopefully still a car worth saving!

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/5/21 11:21 a.m.

Rodents, count me out.  The electrical's will never be right and the smell...  Only way to get the smell out is to strip the interior down to the sheet metal.  I guarantee there is a huge nest in the heater box.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
9/5/21 4:32 p.m.

Last registered in 1998. 

I've been investigating the rusty spots with a screwdriver and an aggressive attitude. There's much more work than I hoped for but not more than I expected for an 80s Nissan in Wisconsin. 

The key for the car is with my BIL, in his dorm room, 2 hours away so we won't be trying to fire the car up today. Hoping that it will fire up for at least long enough to get on the trailer this coming Friday. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/5/21 4:39 p.m.

Hanta virus is no joke, be careful when you get rid of the rodent leavings.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
9/5/21 9:49 p.m.

My dad had one of these, 85 Turbo but a manual.  That car was ridiculous as far as bulletproof.  He bought it used, a year old but like 35k miles.  Within a month a buying it, the entire steering rack was replaced.  Under warranty, but not a great start.  The next issue was a bad alternator at 183k mi.  Other than oil changes and spark plugs, I don't think he ever did anything else to it.  No way did he do the timing belt himself.  I don't remember him taking it to the dealer for that kind of work, but I could be wrong.  

Even if he did, it was never broken, and ran like a top until we eventually let it go at about 189k duue to rust (much like I see on this one).  Still pulled hard, still original clutch! 

Turbine
Turbine Reader
9/5/21 10:03 p.m.

I never used to like the way the Z31 looked, but they've really grown on me in the last year or so. Looking forward to seeing this coming back to life!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
9/5/21 10:05 p.m.

Good friend if mine was obsessed with getting one. It was definitely more rusty than this one. A T-top and automatic. I never saw the appeal for it given the aforementioned shortcomings. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
9/6/21 10:37 p.m.

I'm calling it on this this one. I've discovered too much structural rust for my comfort level. If anyone is interested in it my father in law really wants it out of his driveway located in Janesville, WI. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N4qfoCZdaYBcOGyfA9nD52jd9WYIYPFkXWpndo2if5LGzDurZbanoVA0hSvBJbz3