2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/16/16 7:30 p.m.

I think there is more power in it. Just needs a few changes. One of which I started today. As much fun as the throttle linkage was, I have had issues since day one. I decided to ditch it for the original JT throttle cable set up more like a typical 10vt cable/linkage. Made one bracket and one custom cable end.

I already know it was the right call. Feels much better and I can actually go full throttle now. Tomorrow I will finish up the TPS mounting. Not sure if it's common place but I will be running a descending voltage scale on the TPS because of space issues. Given the way you set one up in megasquirt I don't think it will be an issue. Never even looked into it.

de80q
de80q New Reader
2/17/16 8:14 a.m.

Looking at your pics, I'm sure of one thing. You need bigger hoses on you breather system. Mine are 1" from the "E" hose on the valve cover to the inlet on my intake pipe. I recently tore the whole system apart, and I only had a fine film of oil coating pretty much the whole thing. My car will blow a very faint wisp of smoke if I'm on it hard, then get right off to idle. But that's it. You can see in this pic the giant blue hose on the left. That's my breather hose. Hopefully soon all blue will be switched out to black. On another note, now that you are running a better cable driven linkage setup, you need to find a JT valve cover. They have the correct bracket on them for the cable gromet, and work perfectly, here is a pic of mine.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/17/16 8:31 a.m.

OK hold on. I completely agree with you on the bigger hose, that's a fact and I will be changing that. . . But why does everyone insist on using the UR cable with the bracket valve cover??? it IS NOT the only way to skin a cat. The only issue with using the JT throttle cable is the length difference. Something that is easily fixed with bracket placement. I'm so sick of the Internet trolls dictating how things are done. There is no reason this setup won't work just as good. Sorry for the rant but I have been told that so many times. People need to stop taking the Internet way as if it's the gospel and start thinking outside the box a little bit. People told me a 5k downpipe wouldn't fit without floor pan modification. . . Wrong again!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/17/16 8:45 a.m.

Also, if that's all silicon hose you are running be ready to replace it. After awhile it will start to sweat oil residue. Keith warned me about that and now it's doing it. Just took a few months driving.

One more comment on the cable. By specifically setting up my bracket I put the gas pedal more inline with the brake/clutch pedals. Should be a lot easier to heel-toe on the track, something that is easy in my Datsun but damn near impossible with the stock pedal arrangement on this car.

de80q
de80q New Reader
2/17/16 10:48 a.m.

Thats an pic is quite old. I am now running a B4 throttle cable, its shorter than the b3. I agree that there is more than one way to set this up, but this was the best way for me. All I had to do was make a small bracket to hold the OEM B3 cable to the linkage, and it was done. I'm far from telling you it must be done in any fashion, this just proved to be the simplest and cleanest, for me. Mine is a B3, not a B2, so the UrQ cable trick would not have worked for me.

As for the silicone hose, it has about 4k miles on that setup, and so far, so good. The one I picked up is completely silicone. The smooth liner is silicone, as well as the outer braided jacket. It's the same hose I use at work for oil lines one 5k HP electric motors. We haven't had it fail yet.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/17/16 7:09 p.m.

Mine took awhile but eventually it started sweating. Not sure how many miles. It doesn't have any vacuum leaks or anything like that. Just something to wipe clean every so often. Not sure what it might do long term but I'll probably just get rubber when I go bigger. Need a bigger catch can first.

Got my TPS mounted today. Would have taken it for a drive but my laptop is acting up. Doesn't wanna connect with my ecu so I can't invert the voltage scale. Otherwise the throttle upgrade is done.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/19/16 8:54 a.m.

TPS mounting was done 2 days ago. My serial-USB cord decided to stop working so now I have to order a new one since all the radio shacks are closed around here once I get a new communication cable I will know for sure if the backwards TPS will work.

Incase anyone is wondering, this TPS came from a Nissan SR20DE fwd. I like it for custom applications because it has an arm instead of the pocket like most.

de80q
de80q New Reader
2/19/16 9:35 a.m.

Well, you answered my question. I would also assume the Nissan TPS is significantly cheaper than the Audi TPS. Looks good.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/21/16 9:40 p.m.

In reply to de80q: absolutely cheaper and easier to get over the counter. I thought about the MC2 TPS but since I have the round KH throttle body, that idea was out. Should have a new com cable tomorrow.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/26/16 7:34 a.m.

Finally got the new communication cable yesterday. Everything worked out great. No issue running the TPS voltage backwards. I did get one warning saying (james may voice) "closed value is greater than open value, are you sure sir?" But it runs and drives better than before. No issues with the TPS wot enrichment curve or any of that which is what I was worried about. All is well on the audi again

Oh and I finally got around to doing a compression test on this thing.

1 75

2 75

3 75

4 75

5 70

First time around #1 read 70 but I swapped the o ring on the fitting and it tested 75. Tried number 5 a few times and I couldn't get more than 70 out of it. Seems a bit low but this is a 7.7-1 compression engine if I recall correctly

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/21/16 12:23 p.m.

The long overdue ouray/red mountain pass video is finally here!

Red Mountain Crossing 2015

aka roter berg kreuzen is an event Weston and I started years ago when we would meet up halfway between Grand Junction and Durango. If you have never driven Colorado highway 550 these clips can't show you how amazing it is in person. It's got to be one of the craziest mountain roads in the lower 48. Maybe next year I will have a gopro on a drone and will be a little bit closer to capturing this road properly.

de80q
de80q Reader
3/21/16 2:28 p.m.

Like normal, your car looks great! That had to be an awesome cruise! I need to get mine back on the road, and go cruise the mountains.

Any info on the red B3 that was in the vid? Looked pretty clean.

zephyrj
zephyrj
3/23/16 11:08 p.m.

Holy crap! Saw this beast at Wuste last year. Love it and the work you've done. Was looking for a 4000 to take to Wuste this year but ended up with a 200 Avant and about to pick up a 78 Fox. Are you still planning on attending this year?

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/26/16 11:10 a.m.

In reply to de80q: That poor 80 has traded hands a few times lately. Wish I could take it under my wing but with the Kristi and the scirocco I'm full up on projects. I believe it's still a local who owns it if you want me to inquire. Just a stock 10v quattro. Complete, everything works.

In reply to zephyrj: That's awesome man! Thanks for the kind words though. I can't hide my cars imperfections at a place like wustevegas so I'm glad you still liked it after seeing it in person lol. We are most definitely going again this year for the tenth anniversary. My wife is going to drive the scirocco and I'll be driving the audi. Should be running coil on plug, full sequential and 2 step launch control by then. I'm dying to hear a 10v 2step inside the parking structure this year! Hope to see you there man. Hit me up and let me know what you are driving so we can find ya

de80q
de80q Reader
3/26/16 5:45 p.m.

Get back to me about the dizzy cap. I msg'ed you twice about it. I have it sitting here next to my computer.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/27/16 9:19 a.m.

In reply to de80q: I emailed you. Sorry I'm not very good at staying up to date with email.

zephyrj
zephyrj New Reader
3/27/16 10:48 a.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Sounds good I'll definitely let you know, hopefully in the Audi possibly a Caddy. By any chance, do you make it out to the Denver area at all? Or do you know any other Wuste attendees from that area? Picking up that Fox but needs a fender. There's a guy on Vortex that has a pair but won't ship. Been trying to find a way to get them to Reno figured Wuste would be my best shot.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/28/16 9:08 a.m.

In reply to zephyrj: It's possible. I do go to Denver a lot but 2 fenders are a tall order for anyone already on an 8-10hr road trip in a small car. Plus most wuste attendees have more than one person in the car + luggage + wuste supplies. . . Might be easier to just get them and ship em before the trip down. Last year I brought a 4k spoiler out for a battle born quattro friend of mine and even that was hard to fit without hurting it.

zephyrj
zephyrj New Reader
3/28/16 2:47 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Yeah I figured it would be a long shot haha. Shipping seems to be the easiest, let me know if you're willing and I'll shoot you some $ and buy you a round at Vegas! I'll keep an eye out for someone closer though.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
3/30/16 9:44 a.m.

In reply to zephyrj: sounds good. It would be easier for me to just get them from the guy who is scared of the ups man and ship them out from the Denver area same day. If I go over the hill soon I'll let ya know.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
4/5/16 9:35 a.m.

Not as cool as a half page "hot builds" article, I am still honored to see my humble build inked onto the pages of Performance VW. They did a great article on the Wuste vegas European car festival. Sounds like they are coming back this year. Time to get my ducks in a row

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
4/7/16 8:59 a.m.

Yesterday I made a trip to summit county, had breakfast with a friend at the log cabin cafe in frisco (highly reccomended) exchanged some money for some kristi parts he powder coated for me, then got a lesson in setting up the barometric correction table in megasquirt.
I'll be the first to admit I'm still learning a lot about tuning. Turns out what I was trying to do on my own was make a linear graph from 0 to 100 (as an example) when what I needed to do was start in the middle at my home elevation and plot my lines away from that point in opposite directions.
This is really hard to put into words and I wish I had a screenshot of the baro table I'm talking about. But the point is its running much better when I climb up to and over 10,000ft now. No more leaning out. We also gave it a bit more timing before peak torque to help some drivability issues I was having. This car gets better anytime Jason is around it and I can't thank him enough.

de80q
de80q Reader
4/7/16 10:34 a.m.

Sounds like a fun trip! I wish I was driving mine now, I'm still in wiring hell though. I'm sure I'll learn l about the baro adjustments soon enough though.

That 200 looks very familiar to me, is he a member of either of the other forums you used to deal with?

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
4/8/16 10:59 p.m.

You go over 10,000 and it leans out? I'm still working that one through my head. That means it's really lean at your home altitude, no?

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
4/13/16 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA: it baffled me also but a fellow named elaw, Or Eric I believe, explained it best on the project pad forums. On a boosted car, when you climb in elevation the back pressure on the exhaust drops enough that your volumetric efficiency actually goes up, causing the computer to lean out if you don't compensate. This doesn't happen on my NA 280z because the air going in gets thinner at the same rate as the back pressure drop. I'm sure it could be explained in more detail but that's my interpretation.

In reply to de80q: I have posted his 200 in here once or twice. I know he would occasionally post on motorgeek but I'm not sure about the others. If you like his 200 you would love his coupe!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jGqaL7IqRa3Ovsm7ebE967zOR1VEzEc4coqd55SQ2Ax45Wq8aedp9LZcGG60dHOH