3 4 5 6 7
The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/13/13 2:27 p.m.

I snagged a passenger side front seat (driver's side was broken) from a '94 Mustang GT and thought I had a decent looking, lighter seat. The brackets don't line up.

Front inner (nearest the trans tunnel):

Front outer (nearest the door):

Rear:

It's a bummer. That's a good looking seat, even if it doesn't match the rest of the interior.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/13/13 2:56 p.m.

Can you unbolt those tracks from the seat and bolt on the Lincoln ones? Or, weld some tabs to the Mustang tracks to line up with the bolts in the floor?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/13/13 3:48 p.m.

I don't have a welder, I'd have to borrow one again. I'm just going to hit the junkyard this wednesday (1/2 price) and snag some Fox seats. Hopefully they fit!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/13/13 4:08 p.m.

Have you tried the Lincoln tracks on that seat?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/13/13 4:28 p.m.

No, I've already returned the seat. I'll snag a Fox seat along with lots of other stuff this coming wednesday and see if that fits.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/13/13 7:47 p.m.

You could have swapped the sliders and got it to bolt up.

btp76
btp76 Reader
4/13/13 8:19 p.m.

The fox and sn 95 track are functionally the same. The lincoln floor is different. You can use fox seats on the lincoln tracks.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/14/13 7:44 a.m.

Good to know!

The junkyard where I'm headed also has a dozen Exploders ranging in year from '96 to '00. Out of 12 there should at least be a few V8's, right?

They also have 7 F150's from '91-'94.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/14/13 8:31 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: Good to know! The junkyard where I'm headed also has a dozen Exploders ranging in year from '96 to '00. Out of 12 there should at least be a few V8's, right? They also have 7 F150's from '91-'94.

Only reason I know on the sliders is I swapped a set of highback Fox GT seats into my Ranger years ago. I just used the Ranger sliders on the Fox seats.

I'm actually looking for a set of 4.0 SOHC Exploder motor mounts, both sides, stupid cheap. Only mounts that will work for the idea I have.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/14/13 9:00 a.m.

Should I snag some motor mounts for you if I see them?

They should be pretty cheap.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/14/13 10:56 a.m.

No. Still formulating the plan.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/14/13 1:36 p.m.

The problem with the seats in my '95 Mustang GT, and I think most of the Mustangs from '79 to '04 sans one-offs that got factory fit Recaros or similar specials, is the lack of lumbar support. They're really not that great of a seat.

My plan is to use aftermarket sliders and convert to some other seat, either an '05 or later full-manual Mustang seat (which is probably an extremely rare item in leather), something like the Pro-Car Lumbar Elite, or a seat from cars like the Miata or Porsche Boxster. I want full manual, thought, so I don't have to adapt wiring and I won't have the extra weight of seat motors.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/14/13 2:07 p.m.

I'm looking for full manual as well, not really that concerned with having a "racey" seat. As far as that goes, I think even the lowly LX Fox seats would be an upgrade for the Mark.

The main goal is weight reduction, if they're more sporty then that's just an added bonus. Seems silly in a car of this magnitude but, for the purchase price, I couldn't pass it up.

I'd like to get close to the weight of a fully outfitted Fox GT. IIRC they were about 3,200lbs.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/14/13 2:20 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

I know the S197's seats are available as full manual, leather covered, and somehow fit the SN95 decently per pictures found on the net. SN95 sliders are used, with new holes drilled to mount these, so this might be a decent route.

I still think Miata seats would be nicer, lighter, and decently available. That said, I haven't sat in a Miata for years, so if these aren't the greatest seats then something else would work.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/14/13 2:41 p.m.

I hadn't even considered venturing outside the F.L.M. family...

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/14/13 2:41 p.m.

Perhaps I should...

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/14/13 3:25 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

I think it really opens up the options if you can, especially if you want things like leather surfaces, and you can pick & choose a little easier.

It seems like since you're modding anyway...

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/15/13 10:44 a.m.

A package just arrived from the fastener warehouse. Now I can re-hang my door panels!

EXCITING!!!

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/15/13 10:53 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I still think Miata seats would be nicer, lighter, and decently available. That said, I haven't sat in a Miata for years, so if these aren't the greatest seats then something else would work.

Miata seats suck.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/15/13 11:44 a.m.
mtn wrote:
pres589 wrote: I still think Miata seats would be nicer, lighter, and decently available. That said, I haven't sat in a Miata for years, so if these aren't the greatest seats then something else would work.
Miata seats suck.

Well, don't sugar coat it. Just say what you feel.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/15/13 11:45 a.m.

Forgot to add:

Door panel fasteners = $5.50

New total (rounded up) = $872

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/15/13 12:10 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

Boxster it is then! Or some other thing.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/15/13 1:46 p.m.
The_Jed wrote:
mtn wrote:
Miata seats suck.
Well, don't sugar coat it. Just say what you feel.

Lol, I guess they aren't that bad... but they aren't that good either. No bolstering, no support, not especially comfortable--they're just kinda... there.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/16/13 4:53 p.m.

I decided to make a mock up gauge panel for either 1 7/8" or 2" mechanical gauges for the oil pressure and coolant temperature.

Fancy, high-tech stuff:

Here is the back side:

Seems like a decent location to me:

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/16/13 4:57 p.m.

I pulled this out to make room for the gauge panel:

Back side:

What in the hell is this?:

Some doohicky for the climate control?

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.