mblommel
mblommel Reader
11/13/14 7:25 p.m.

Automotive ADD strikes again. Found a great deal on this MR2 by searching Craigslist at 8 a.m. last Sunday. I guess I should thank my kids for getting me up so early:

Has 80K miles showing and runs great. It has a few issues like the windows being disconnected from the tracks. But, almost everything including the AC works. Planning on doing some maintenance and then a few inexpensive upgrades. It looks like I'm limited to the stock 5.5" wheels for stock class so maybe I'll just put some star specs on the basketweaves.

Thinking of doing the Prothane total kit. It's only $100. Any thoughts?

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/13/14 9:48 p.m.

I did the Prothane on my last one, and have a few bits on the new SC. The kit is worth it if you're doing the work yourself. Curious how the interior looks and what you paid?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
11/14/14 8:12 p.m.

so i too am curious as to your paying price, since these seem to be all over the board... you get people with junkers for a little, junkers for 6500$, creampuffs for 2500$, and creampuffs for 10k (no joke, on craigslist in PNW)

mblommel
mblommel Reader
11/14/14 8:30 p.m.

$1500 is what I paid. The guy was asking $1800, but then immediately said "well I was going to list it on another CL site for $1500" and I said sold. I really, really love driving this thing so far. Just ordered the brass shifter bushings, those should arrive in the next day or so. Most pressing items will be fluids change and getting the windows reattached to the lift mechanisms properly.

Prices do vary a lot. There is a mint 89 SC on ebay right now for $10K and I think it's worth it.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
11/15/14 7:40 a.m.

There great cars, I had a 85 that i had to sell right before i came to Japan.

mblommel
mblommel Reader
11/16/14 2:11 p.m.

Mod No.1 Remove the nasty, sticky, APC "racing" steering wheel (which was loose and made for some interesting steering). Aforementioned P.O.S. where it belongs:

Install used original wheel that was procured from a MR2 buddy for $0:

Not the best wheel ever, but it was free and now I can actually see my gauges. I found a black MR2 center for this wheel on ebay for $25 shipped. I'm thinking I may just remove the original leather covering. Supposedly underneath it's a standard rubber wheel.

Mod No.2 The seller said the power windows were broken. He advised me to "just not roll the window down ever". Ummm, no. So off to troubleshoot. Turns out a bent metal bracket was the culprit. 5 minutes with a hammer and the bench vice fix that. Another 1/2 hour to re-install and adjust all the doo-dads that control the window position and now I have a window the goes up and down.

Next up are fluids, buffing the paint, and finding better interior bits.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
11/16/14 3:01 p.m.

nice find!

mblommel
mblommel Reader
11/19/14 6:30 p.m.

I've started the process of cleaning the "funk" off the MR2. The first thing I did was thoroughly clean all the windows to remove the hazy buildup that was on them. Next I cleaned all the interior vinyl with a mixture of soapy water and a scrub brush. When wiping this up with clean paper towels there was often a brownish residue lifted up. Yeeeccch. I followed this up with a coating of Aerospace 303 and the interior is much more livable.

The car looks like it has been painted once. It's not a great job, but it's cleaning up decently. Here's a shot showing what a little bit of rubbing compound and some wax did on the engine lid. The trunk lid is not done yet.

I just received my brass shifter bushings and my stock steering wheel center from Ebay. Looking to get those installed ASAP.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/19/14 6:39 p.m.

Very nice!

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
11/19/14 7:57 p.m.

Looking good!

mblommel
mblommel Reader
11/23/14 7:58 p.m.

A small update; changed the oil with a nice new Toyota filter and some Mobil 1. The guys at the Toyota dealership seemed to be eyeing my little MR2 when I drove up. I got a thumbs up from one of the service techs that was walking outside. The guy at the parts counter was astonished that I was asking for an oil filter for an '87 MR2. Are these cars really that uncommon now?

I also installed my Ebay sourced steering wheel center section. As a bonus the horn works now.

Another bit of good fortune; my rear strut housings already have the tabs for the rear sway bar. I had to check both sides because apparently some cars got tabbed housings on one side and not the other from the factory. Even better, a friend has a '85 rear bar for me to use.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/23/14 8:30 p.m.
mblommel wrote: The guy at the parts counter was astonished that I was asking for an oil filter for an '87 MR2. Are these cars really that uncommon now?

A couple of years ago, I picked up an '88 CRX Si. I was shocked when the guy at the Honda dealership told me that he couldn't get a distributor cap and rotor for it.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/24/14 6:02 a.m.
mblommel wrote: The guy at the parts counter was astonished that I was asking for an oil filter for an '87 MR2. Are these cars really that uncommon now?

My experience was he wasn't quite astonished, but he definitely had to do some digging in his computer to find the right one. I saved the empty box for the part number for next time. Have you tried making a dupe key yet? No local hardware stores carry the right blank, and I ended up going to a local indoor fleamarket with some old retired locksmith guy to get one made. Bonus- he had an old fashioned leather fob MR2 keychain.

But I tried that yesterday for the new MR2 and he's gone now. berkeley. There's a few local locksmiths people recommended but none seem to be open on weekends. At least it was a warm dry day to drive it, possibly the last time for the year. EDIT: I went to Pep Boys, not Toyota. YMMV.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
11/24/14 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Jerry:

Nice car had a couple of the, 1985 and 1986 back in the day. Great cars . I thinking you got a good deal at the price

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
11/24/14 10:08 a.m.

You got a great deal at that price. People seem to think AW11's all go for $1500, but they're never that nice.

+1 for the Prothane kit. Ball joints and tie-rod ends made a big difference on mine as well. If yours is tracking straight and steady on the highway you might not need them though. Mine wasn't.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
11/24/14 10:39 a.m.

plenty of potential in the 4AGE.... stock 112hp

add compression, headwork, camshafts, and you've bumped power 30%, or more.

mr2oc.com mr2.com

2 pretty good resources

mblommel
mblommel Reader
11/24/14 12:10 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

Yessir they do have a lot of potential. I love reading this guy's page from time to time.

In reality though the first mod I need to do is get the loose nut behind the wheel some driving skills.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
11/24/14 3:40 p.m.

Bill's pages have a few faults... but it is a fair start.

i do a lot of 4AGE heads, so if you have questions don't hesitate to ask

emsalex
emsalex New Reader
11/24/14 8:03 p.m.

Mk1 Mr2s are like an old sportbike, cheap but people still look at you like its a new super car as you drive by. I had an 85 with Tokico blues and Suspension Technique springs. Loved the setup. And the E-brake was on the correct side of the center console.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/25/14 8:50 a.m.
emsalex wrote: And the E-brake was on the correct side of the center console.

This.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lDZYVq57HJmx1ISoF9t6csRnMR9BVciANcFcWye4Ss4bSqIwZVwx8BwXlgYvjPHi