hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
5/6/18 7:45 p.m.

Well,  with this much going on, of course there's a couple quirks.    

I have a surging idle when hot.   Not a huge concern, idle has always been a bit wonky anyway.  Probably just a vacuum leak somewhere.    

Still have the oil leak that started the whole mess, which I had been trying to fix when I cause all the cylinder head issues.   Next location to look into is the factory oil cooler sandwich plate.  It's a known leaker.  I have a few ideas on tackling that.

-Hans

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
5/21/18 8:45 p.m.

Hot Damn,  I got the thing to first autocross of the season.   Even better, it came home and didn't break!

Some lessons learned this time around,  nearly all of which are fun and interesting.

1.  Compared to most of the other cars there, I'm starting to feel downright tiny!   WRX's,  current model Civic's, Evo's....  I didn't realize how much bigger they are compared to the old MR2 until I parked next to them in the staging area.  I have trouble finding my car sometimes because I can't see it.  

2. Pfffft,  I still don't need more horsepower.  I need TIRES.   Yes, horsepower would help, but I sure as hell have more sections where I'm traction limited than power limited.   Still rockin the crappy 185/60R14's  in some generic BFG tread.   Not sure if I should go with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport's in 205/50R15, which are my planned one-lap tire,   or some of the used SM7 Hoosiers off of e-bay.  Tough call.   Avoiding the RE-71R's due to the consistent poor wet performance I've seen people talk about during past one-lap runs.  

3. I think I'm getting better.   I used to be faster than just a couple guys in the whole field during an event, and ahead of 1 or 2 in my class.   Now I'm mid-pack in my class, and ahead of nearly a dozen other cars in the field.  Some of those cars,  there's no reason I should have faster times.    Here's the time sheet for this month.  http://sccsiouxland.net//oldsite/results/2018/pe1.htm  

4.  I love this E36 M3.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/21/18 10:05 p.m.
hhaase said:

2. Pfffft,  I still don't need more horsepower.  I need TIRES.   Yes, horsepower would help, but I sure as hell have more sections where I'm traction limited than power limited.   Still rockin the crappy 185/60R14's  in some generic BFG tread.   Not sure if I should go with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport's in 205/50R15, which are my planned one-lap tire,   or some of the used SM7 Hoosiers off of e-bay.  Tough call.   Avoiding the RE-71R's due to the consistent poor wet performance I've seen people talk about during past one-lap runs.  

I'd say it's a good idea to run the tires you plan to run at OneLap, if you can.  I'll have to check in with the miata this year, that ran the Conti Extreme Contact Sports (as did the TL and the Civic).  I know the miata had a bunch of wear, but I don't recall how even it was (compared to the TL that was taking out the shoulder again).  It's possible that the Conti's are a bit of a concern unless you can dial in a degree or two of camber.  but, like I said, let me check with the miata.

also, klodkrawler had high praise for the Falken RT615k+, high dry grip and "good enough" wet grip (the Evo ran a 0.744g on 315's at the pad this year, compared to Bob's 0.747g; last year it was 0.709g / 0.713g respectively on the wet skid pad).  Then again, we've had two dry OneLaps in a row, so we're bound to be due for a wet one again soon.

Tires really are one of the harder parts of trying to do well at OneLap, while sticking to a budget.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
5/27/18 3:33 p.m.

Spent a good chunk of today pulling off the stock sandwich plate for the stock oil cooler.   It's a known leak-monster, and I was suspecting it was a potential source for my own oil leak issues.   Took a lot longer than it should, like anything else with an MR2, due to access issues.  And people stick turbos in that area?   Dear god!

O-rings were hosed,  completely flattened out, and in some places not even rising outside their retention ring.   For the short term I'm going to run without an oil cooler,  but all this work was needed anyway to start prepping for the air/oil cooler that I'm planning to install.  First things first, after I go fetch a new plug for the old drain line location I'll start it up and see if it actually did anything to address the leak issue.

-Hans

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/1/18 8:56 p.m.

After you mentioned that about the Continentals having wear issues, I started digging again, looks to be a common complaint with the tire.   That kinda sucks, I had been really excited about those shoes.

The Falkens do look like another strong contender for my uses though.  Just waiting on a check from a reseller of my pinball stuff, then ordering a set.

Now the bad news.  I still have that f'n oil leak!

-Hans

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/1/18 9:10 p.m.

Chances are the best tires for next years event haven't even been released yet. We seem to get a new hot tire about twice a year lately. Unless it ends up being a weather year just about any of the good tires will work. It's more important to get out there is a reliable car than spend too much time worrying about it being perfect. Get it ready, get entered, go have fun. 

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/2/18 9:23 a.m.

I’m not worried about the best lap times.   So hottest tire isn’t of concern to me.  I more just need something predictable in as many conditions as possible and durability to finish the event.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/4/18 8:32 p.m.

Ok,  set of Falkens should be here in a couple days.  Figured that I'll use Tire Rack fright from the start, because it's the OneLap sponsor and all that jazz.

Pretty excited to give them a try.

-Hans

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/6/18 8:45 p.m.

Tires are now at the shop being installed on the rims.  Woot!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/7/18 4:37 a.m.

Getting new tires is more exciting than a pair of new shoes in elementary school. 

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/8/18 10:59 p.m.

Today was all about sourcing some lug nuts (functional, not gaudy, nor expensive,   but local).   Then printing some hub centric rings.   While waiting on stuff, been doing some video editing as I have a LOT of video I owe people.

-Hans

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/9/18 12:58 a.m.
hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/10/18 10:05 p.m.

Oooooh,  my car is now eligible for the Waumandee hill climb in Wisconsin.

Just asked for a copy of the rules and requirements to see if it's something I should attend.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/11/18 6:17 p.m.

Sweeeeeet.   Looks like I'm completely eligible for the Waumandee hillclimb,   and timing is very nice as well.   I'm going to put it on my calender for late September.   I'll make a good practice session for OneLap loadouts.

So far I'm pretty happy with the new tires too.  I was worried the lower profile would harshen the ride too much, but that didn't happen.   Definitely need a bit more forearm in sharp turns at low speeds,  what with no power steering and all.  Glad I didn't go wider in the front. 

I am starting to get a bit concerned about how fast the cabin heats up though on a hot sunny day.  The AC is still cold, but it just doesn't move much air,  and can't keep up when it's clear out and 90+.   Probably have to look into fresh window tint again.  

I'm also reaching a dangerous state of motivation here.   I've been researching dry sump oiling and new seats.  The seats I think will be necessary in not too much longer,  but the dry sump is just silly at this point with a stock engine.   

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/11/18 8:48 p.m.

Ok, more good news I hope.   Was going to check my oil sender, as that's in the area where the leak may be,  but also wanted to check my distributor again, as that's a known signifcant source of oil leaks on these engines.  Looks like the o-ring around the distributor body was leaking again.  So swapped a new one on, again,  but had a moment of inspiration..... a simple gasket.   Went old-school on it too,  used a piece of a glossy faced cardboard box as a test subject.  

Ran it for a few minutes in the garage, and at the moment I haven't seen a drop come down on the fresh cardboard.   

Tomorrow after work I'll drive it around and see if it worked.

-Hans

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/16/18 11:16 a.m.

Stupid oil is still leaking.   I've got it narrowed down to a very small area on the engine.

Looks to be either the distributor (again), or the oil sender.   Just ordered new ones of both, as apparently there are NEW 4age distributors available again from 3rd party parts houses.

Good news is autocross today.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/16/18 9:56 p.m.

Autocross today = awesome!    New tires picked me up a few seconds at least.  I’ll get official results after event tomorrow but it looks like 4th in class from what times I do know.  When I have all the full results I’ll do some comparisons against known competitors to track my gains.

Some solid data I do have is from accelerometer data in the track addict app.  Last month I topped out at 1.05g lateral acceleration.    Today I got a 1.5g peak and routinely above 1.35g.   That’s a huge improvement  to say the least,  and the standings improvements reflect it.

I finally feel the project is at a point where I need to start looking at power improvements.   Particularly in the 3,000 to 5,000 rpm range.   

Edit:

got the official times for today.  Looks like I gained a constant 5-6 seconds on a number of the regulars compared to previous results.  I did keep 4th place in NXE for the day as well.  Yeah, I’m happy.   Very happy.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/17/18 3:22 p.m.

Day two autocross,  and again, very similar results.  People I was usually 10-12 seconds behind I'm now 4-6 seconds behind.  I did lose a bit of ground in rankings, but my time behind the leaders was nearly identical.  So I'm quite happy with my overall performance. I'm definitely punching above my weight, which is a good feeling.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
6/17/18 6:46 p.m.

awesome to hear

make sure to get the Falkens out and drive them in the rain somewhere, somehow... to get a feel for their wet traction.  And, you know, report back.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/17/18 7:05 p.m.

Yeah, I sure plan to.  I mean, the rain is why I didn’t go with re-71’s after all.  Almost did my last few runs in the wet today but rain held off till I did my cooldown.

I also think it’s time to start looking at exhaust options again too.  I wonder if there is a way to fit a short flex, a cat, and muffler into 24” straight length.  But then NOT sound like a jackass.  Just looking at some of the raw video my Wife took for me yesterday, and sweet lord I must be losing power through that exhaust.  Nearly silent through the whole run.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/22/18 8:49 p.m.

Well , the replacement distributor I ordered to try and fix the oil leak turned out to be a total piece of crap.   Constant misfires,  bearing noise from hell, so it came out real quick.    Back to the drawing board on that problem, again.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/23/18 10:02 p.m.

Finished edit work on new video today.  Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/hEVjt9ymGaU

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
6/24/18 10:03 a.m.

A cat will often muffle well enough on its own - I’d try that first. 

And I cannot speak with any experience (first-, second- or any-hand) but cardboard, shiny or not, doesn’t sound like it would stave off leaks for long.   Try a proper o-ring or use proper gasket material.  Unless, of course, it isn’t leaking :)

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/24/18 10:55 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

I have used cardboard for gaskets before with success,  they seal because the fibers all compress.  Hell, you'd be surprised how many gaskets are just cut paper.   I did try some actual gasket material as well.  Cork and fiber.   Not sure if it's helping or not.  I'm wondering if there may be some issue with the way the block and head are mating.   This leak has been there since before I bought the car.   I did check the head on a surface plate when it was out, and it's within spec for flatness.  But who knows what's happening during heat/cool cycles, after all we're talking iron block with aluminum head.  I may just have to live with it till I do the new engine.

As to the exhaust,  I'm definitely keeping a cat in there.   Always such torture to figure out AW11 exhaust due to the odd and compact routing.   I measured the tubing size on the current Walker exhaust.  It's got 1-7/8" pipes, but the crush bends are taking that down under 1.5" for almost all the length of the pipe.    Most of the carts and calculations say I should have 2".   So yeah, losing some power there.

-Hans

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
6/25/18 9:22 a.m.

Sorry I'm a bit late for tire discussions.

Wear on the Conti's was almost a non issue for us, but we're also utilizing -3.5 degrees of camber up front and -2 in the rear. The tires wore so well at OLOA that we've kept them mounted up for wet weather events (of which we've had copious) I would estimate by now we have probably an extra 15-20 hpde sessions on those tires, mostly in the rain but some in dry/drying conditions when we're simply too lazy to change back to RE's.

I think the Falkens should prove faster in the dry, and "good enough" in the wet, but everyone has a different idea of what "good enough" is.

I think a large part of tire selection for OLOA aside from weather considerations is how comfortable the driver is on track in the wet on any selection of tire. There are people that would be faster in the rain on re71's than I would be on Continentals (and 2 drivers on Falkens beat us during the wet sessions at OLOA 17, although they could probably beat us in a wheelbarrow if they wanted) 

I echo sleepyhead's sentiment, setting up the car on whichever tires you choose for OLOA will be paramount. They're all a bit unique feeling and if you can make the car comfortable on whatever tire, you'll have one less thing to worry about while trying to run laps on new tracks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7kEmHXSJb51acX7oxJIdPzlCcMWIhXMl0pRS6l7fNdzICE09EDZ0ZbQh3Wes9hcP