oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
10/12/18 8:08 a.m.

In reply to hhaase :

yep...   figured I'd supply you with more information wink

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
10/12/18 4:58 p.m.

Pistons are here.  Now that I've verified they are correct, and was able to measure the ring sizes, I can start picking out rings.  ARP rod bolts will be here Monday, then I can drop all this off at the shop to clean up and assemble. 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
10/14/18 7:00 p.m.

one more recommendation...  the metal inside timing cover is also the cam seal retainer(you want this), the bolt holes (in head and block) will no longer line up with all the mounting holes in the cover.   to avoid frustration get head and block mounted, then adjust holes in inside timing cover

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
11/3/18 8:30 a.m.

Rods are done getting reconditioned with the ARP bolts,  but I’m not going to be able to get to the shop to pick them up for a week or so.

in the meantime,  could use some ring recommendations.   Currently leaning toward total seal’s standard rings (not their gapless line).  May also go with NPR.  Would prefer file fit over pre-gapped.  

Not a huge amount of options out there.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
11/3/18 4:29 p.m.

In reply to hhaase :

std bore... ring sizes: 1.2, 1.5, 2.8?

You can use Honda Prelude rings (88-91)

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
11/3/18 5:56 p.m.

Yep.  Measures the pistons to confirm.  1.2 1.5 2.8

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
1/1/19 12:24 a.m.

Finally got off my lazy ass and picked up the resized rods with the ARP bolts fitted,  and fitted the pistons.  Still haven’t decided on rings yet.  I want something appropriately good for the build,  but not Uber-fancy and excessive.  Since I’m essentially ending up with a near stock late 4AGZE short block,  I’ll probably go with the NPR rings.  

I’m also contemplating pulling the air conditioning.  I rarely use it, and it’s not very effective anyway.  Just taking up weight and space most of the time.  But may come in handy on long transits.  Would  be nice to use the location for a dry sump pump in the future.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/1/19 5:55 a.m.

You want AC on One Lap. Even if you think you can be ok with the windows down, the reduced fatigue from being able to drive with the windows up at a comfortable temperature is worth every ounce. We lost AC for one transit last year and 7 hours at 80mph with the windows down meant no sleeping. That sucked. 

13 14 15
Our Preferred Partners
KTyDgNRdwAu8oAtkxK72IwmKQb1zjRL6qtSFaJoXO1kbeZQ9cI8lanhqPDPy9Fbr