3 4 5 6 7
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/3/16 5:11 p.m.

Durability is everything in One Lap. Then comfort. Then style. Then cargo room. Way way way down the list you find lap times. Build to finish and let the times land where they land.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
10/4/16 5:20 p.m.

Parts ordered for brakes, for a winter install. EBC yellows all around for the pads. Stoptech slotted rotors in the front, and plain in the rear. Calipers and lines were redone just a few months ago so no need to worry about them.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
10/10/16 8:48 p.m.

Just got back from a 4 day hunting trip / road trip with Dad, about 1,000 miles in three days. Let's just say I've learned the value of logistics.

When I go places with my Wife and Daughter, same distance and time, things go very smoothly for the most part. Very efficient packing, organized, planned out, easy to drive cars. No drama unless something very strange occurs. We get a lot done in a short time, but the planning and teamwork make it almost effortless.

This trip? Overpacked, under-organized, difficult to drive the F-250 with a camper in the bed, not enough rest, and very ad-hoc planning. I'm completely exhausted.

Lesson learned, now to apply it to this build.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
10/23/16 3:42 p.m.

October video now live on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RKeHNDdAhKg

hhaase
hhaase Reader
10/25/16 5:53 p.m.

I finally went through all the stuff that came with the small-port 4AGE I picked up in the spring, turns out there's a fair amount of 86/RWD specific parts. Makes sense as it supposedly came out of an incomplete swap into a Corolla at some point, and I can tell it's incomplete by the RWD style TVIS intake which of course won't bolt up to the head.

Anyway, I don't need any of that stuff, and decided I don't want to use that small-port head either. So I'm just keeping the short block and selling the rest, which is currently in the Non-$2017 for sale forum on here.

-Hans

hhaase
hhaase Reader
10/27/16 2:08 p.m.

Toughest part so far, tracking down part numbers for the ECU wiring connectors. Eventually want to run a Megasquirt ECU, but don't want to hack up my harness to do so. ECU has a 42 pin connector, but harness has three separate connectors (10/18/14). I THINK I've tracked down a part number for the 10 pin, but not sure. Looks like Sumitomo discontinued the entire series so the places I see that sell smaller sizes must be selling a compatible part number from another brand.

Now I need to track down what's compatible with Sumitomo HM unsealed connectors. Hmmmmmm

Worst case I can pigtail the existing harness with some Delphi 280's, but I'd rather not.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/27/16 2:36 p.m.

hmmm...My plan of attack would look something like:

1. go to the local pick-a-part
  2. snag a stock wiring harness
  3. modify as needed
  4. Megasquirt
  5. world domination

probably in that order. But if you wanted to get crazy and go in your own sequence, who am i to judge? At the very least, youd have what you need to get to the part numbers without becoming a contortionist to see them.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
10/27/16 3:09 p.m.

Problem is that I need the connector(s) from the ECU side, not the wiring side.

Only source I can find right now for that connector is DIYAutoTune as part of their breakout board kit, and that's both expensive and not what I really want.

-Hans

hhaase
hhaase Reader
10/29/16 2:25 p.m.

Time for a significant budget-induced change in the plans. Dropping the turbo idea for now.

So I'll start with the small-port I have sitting around. Basically just a hot tank, level the head surface, and possibly grind the crank a hair if needed. Cylinders won't need to be touched at all. Already has sufficient pistons and rods for my needs.

Basic cleanup of the head, nothing serious for porting, with some 264 or 272 cams. And let the HP end up where it ends up.

-Hans

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
10/29/16 3:59 p.m.
hhaase wrote: Time for a significant budget-induced change in the plans. Dropping the turbo idea for now. So I'll start with the small-port I have sitting around. Basically just a hot tank, level the head surface, and possibly grind the crank a hair if needed. Cylinders won't need to be touched at all. Already has sufficient pistons and rods for my needs. Basic cleanup of the head, nothing serious for porting, with some 264 or 272 cams. And let the HP end up where it ends up. -Hans

A few "if's"... but if you are willing to pay for parts, freight and the cost for machine work.... I'll port you a head for "free" - "free" equalling a 4" logo on each "B" pillar

hhaase
hhaase Reader
10/29/16 5:57 p.m.

About to kick off a big halloween party, so my brain is pretty much occupied with party thoughts, but I'll shoot you a pm once things wind down and we can discuss.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/2/16 8:07 a.m.

Sold off some of those AE86 parts I didn't need.

Playtime is over, order going in tomorrow for a Megasquirt-III builders kit. Lots of plans for this little magic box, will be fun to do a modern version ... been a long time since I converted my CJ-7 with a MS-I kit.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/3/16 5:18 p.m.

MS-III is ordered and already shipped my way. Can't wait to start working on it. I wonder if I can find an AE111 cam angle sensor head to replace my distributor with. That'll open up a lot of cool possibilities.

Other interesting news is that I stumbled onto the 2017 schedule for One Lap by accident. Some very cool locations coming up, too bad I won't be ready yet. More dollars to save up and lessons to take.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
11/3/16 5:31 p.m.

Where is the schedule? I haven't announced yet but I'll be there.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/3/16 5:38 p.m.

Sent you a PM, figured I didn't want to spoil any big announcement they may be planning.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
11/3/16 9:19 p.m.

Many thanks.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/6/16 11:11 a.m.

Good News: the MS-III kit arrives tomorrow. Bad News: All the info on the 'net is outdated in regards to Toyota VAST and Megasquirt.

What does this mean? It means there are plenty of guides out there on installing a Megasquirt in a 4AGE equipped car, but all of them are for MS-I and MS-II. Same with all the other VAST equipped engines I can find, such as the 22RE. No guides out there for MS-III in this application.

That means I'll be doing more development right off the start than I had hoped. But on the flip-side, the MS-III daughter-card also means there's a hell of a lot less hardware changes needed for full sequential injection and spark.

I may just get the MS3X expansion card right away, as it looks like that greatly simplifies the ignition input, and if I'm reading it right will let me use the existing distributor as a cam angle sensor. According to the MS3/MS3X manual it's listed as a "Nippon-Denso CAS, Single G".

I know there's harness diagrams out there but I don't really care for how they are drawn, so I'll use them to make a new one. Gives me a starting point anyway.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/6/16 12:11 p.m.

At this point I'm almost ready to completely ignore all the 4AGE Megasquirt articles out there. A LOT of things are left unconnected or unused which are just going to cause trouble down the road. Not that I don't appreciate the work they did, just that it's not complete by any means and I'm very pedantic when it comes to electronics. Learning lots of things about the car in the meantime however. For instance, didn't realize there was a transmission control computer for cars equipped with an automatic.

So, back to the factory manuals to build up a new and correct schematic. I'll be building the schematic electronically via KiCad, which I use for all my PCB layouts already, and will happily share it once it's done. I may just build up an article for DIYAutoTune as well for the config like I'm using.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/6/16 8:50 p.m.

Wiring harness schematic about 85% done. Still need to decide if I'll be going with the MS3X expander right away or not. I mean, I'll be using it eventually when I switch to full sequential and COP, but I'd like to get it running close to factory as the first round.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/8/16 7:57 p.m.

Yesterday when the mail arrived .....

Today after assembly ..... One USB connected, datalogging, fully tuneable, EFI and Ignition controller.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/9/16 7:05 a.m.

Just scored a dead factory ECU from E-bay for $12.50 shipped. This'll make wiring a hell of a lot easier. SCORE!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/9/16 8:05 a.m.

I think that I still have a steering wheel adapter, if you want to ditch the OEM wheel for the one in your signature. Not sure if the '88 had an airbag, or that it is even legal, but at some point I was going to do it in my '85.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/9/16 9:11 a.m.

Already have the Grant wheel in the car actually, but appreciate it

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/12/16 5:01 p.m.

Package arrived in the mail today with the dead ECU inside. Looks like it's been opened up in the past and the case is in terrible shape.

Didn't need the case, so that went in the trash. Also don't need the actual circuit board, just needed the big connector. That's why I wanted a cheap dead ECU, so I could cut out the big connector here.

So then I could start making an adapter harness, which lets me NOT cut into the factory harness at all. This is enough to let me start testing all the sensor inputs and such, but I didn't connect the ignitor output or the injector outputs yet. Baby steps.

There's a lot of work left to do on this harness still. Lots of strain relief to do, and resizing of wire lengths, and when I do that I'll be adding the heatshrink onto all the pins. Still waiting on the heatshrink to arrive. Amazon has some pre-cut which is going to be nice.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
11/12/16 7:32 p.m.

Must be tired or something, just can't wrap my heads around all the settings as well as I did the last time I built up a megasquirt system. Though things are more complex now that ignition is playing such a big part of the system. Early MS-I was really fuel only, and ignition wasn't anywhere near as integrated into things at the time.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
95p8dUBnj4LByuP2a8EOWjihxCVVECoaYqnaoawsOePWF4qB27fcTbiItwHAvvLV