1 2
Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/15/19 7:52 a.m.

New truck, more when I get home with it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/15/19 7:59 a.m.

Needs more 5/7.

And funky two tone, because why tge hell not? Its already primer....

May i suggest krylon satin italian olive below the bodyline, and satin black above? Use 1/2 wide silver pinstripe tape along the bodyline between the two. Dark colored wheels. Dich chrome.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/15/19 9:30 a.m.

No immediate plans for paint.

Plans so far include.:

4/6 drop because I'm a wuss. 

Give some serious attention to the brakes because they are pretty damn awful at the moment.

Check into a charging system issue that had the voltage gauge pegged the whole way home

Look into actually wiring the power seats the previous owner put in it.

Track down and return all the blue LEDs in the interior to hell where they belong.

Put stock tail lights back in it

Fix whatever else I find broken....

Normal beater truck routine pretty much.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/15/19 9:44 a.m.

What year and weight capacity truck is it? Also what engine? There's a few of us around here that have had a bunch of those trunks and know some of the tricks

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/15/19 9:49 a.m.

1989, not sure on the weight capacity. But it is a 350 TBI. 4L60. I'll fill in more details and get more pics probably tomorrow. 

Edit: by tomorrow I guess I mean now 

Also, there are 2 more 15x10 Rallye wheels with trim rings in the bed.

EDIT: 5600lbs GVW according to the RPO sticker.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/15/19 10:35 a.m.

Did you trade the mustang for it?  I gave most of my spares to michael but may have a thing or two left laying around 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
7/15/19 10:41 a.m.

Those seats and overhead console came out of a GMT800 truck. 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/15/19 10:44 a.m.

Not a bad truck. Is the brake pedal travel a bit much? If the brakes check out and it still has more travel than it should, the rear ABS system is usually the culprit. Most just delete the ABS stuff right by the master cylinder, plenty of info on the web. I am about to do this to my 1993 K2500, which I have done all the brakes on but it still has a bit too much travel.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/15/19 10:46 a.m.

Patrick, yes I traded the Mustang even for it.

And Stampie, I knew I recognized the seats, wasn't sure on the overhead console.

Also I don't see any evidence of it having ABS. It has a very soft pedal that barely wants to grab until you put it on the floor. I suspect there's a major leak somewhere in the system. Drive home was a bitch sketchy but I made it. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/15/19 10:54 a.m.

A gmt900 master made a HUGE difference. If it has the thicker rotors, the light duty 3/4 ton calipers are a good upgrade.

Should have a 700r4 instead of 4l60e, unless someone did a lot of swapping.

The overhead console is the same as the gmt400 by the looks of it.

Check the actual system voltage at the alternator. the moonie clusters are flaky as hell.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/15/19 10:54 a.m.

The black box beside the master and the little cylender underneath are th rwabs

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/15/19 11:43 a.m.

Could also be the sense wire running from batt + to the alternator has come undone and the system really is pegged.  I doubt the battery would live too long like that, though.

Rear drums on these can start not self-adjuting and such, basically seizing up, and not doing much braking.  

One of the factory two-tone patterns done up in Gulf blue and orange with white pinstriping could look pretty boss (I'm kind of hung up on those colors currently) and should be pretty easy to mix up using Rustoleum and roll-on methods.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/16/19 12:09 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Nice purchase bud! 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/16/19 12:34 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Thanks.

So I'm thinking about it. I obviously did the deal and got this thing because I've pretty much wanted a low short bed truck since high school. Sort of bouncing around ideas for it. No stupid engine or trans swaps. I want it to be a daily and I don't plan on towing with it so the current drivetrain is fine. So I'm going to focus on making it reliable and comfortable. After that we make it look cool.

Strongly considering back dating (or I suppose UN-updating since the truck actually is an '89) to the early grill, I also like the early style chrome mirrors. I haven't decided If I'm just going to roll with the truck rallys or look for some 17"s or 18"s. If and when I paint it, there was a dark green offered on these  trucks in the late 90s I was really fond of on my uncle's old GMC extended cab. So I might go with that.

Of course none of the major stuff is happening before October because getting Humphrey ready for the challenge is still priority. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/16/19 9:06 a.m.

Just drove it to town and back to get insurance and registration sorted (the latter of which is going to be more annoying than I thought because of an out of state title).

Things we learned:

• Brakes do work the pedal is just numb, still going to check everything closely.
  • Clanking noise from under the truck when putting it in gear, assumed to be a u-joint.
  • Driver's seat isn't actually bolted down completely
  • Exhaust leak under the cab
  • It's definitely the floatiest thing I've ever driven
  • Steering box is slower than my D350 was.
  • Huge steering wheel probably isn't staying.
  • The 350 is behaving as expected
  • The transmission shifts just as lazily as my old Bravada's 700R4. 

All in all it's as expected and I'll be happy when I can start putting some miles on it.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/16/19 11:44 a.m.

Mine clunks into gear as well. From the rear diff. 

Gmt900 master, rwabs delete, see what you think about the brakes then.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
7/16/19 1:13 p.m.

Good score. This reminds me I have to go down and work on mine.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/18/19 10:10 a.m.

Job one: remove the Ray Charles tint. 

Still need to hit it with some glass cleaner and a razor. My least favorite part of buying  cars from people of poor taste, but it has to he done.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/18/19 10:22 a.m.

I wonder if I have the 88-89 specific mini quad headlights anywhere.  I loved those

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/18/19 10:37 a.m.

This is gonna require some attention. Sounds okay considering this is the entirety of the sound system and not all of it is hooked up. I don't like it taking up 90% of my storage space behind the seats though.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
7/18/19 1:18 p.m.

Nice! how does it run? Any leftover wrap?

Dusterbd13-michael
7/18/19 1:29 p.m.

I used 6.5 inch midbass drivers in the doors, tweeters in the dash speaker locations, and 4x10 plate speakers in my 89 when i had it. Drove the front components and rear under seat (extended cab) sub off a 4 channel amp. Sounded fantastic. 

With my regular cab 95, full range 6.5 in the doors, no dash speakers, 4 inch paper cone speakers in the rear cab pillars, and a polk 8 inch marine sub from Amazon under the passengers seat in a small sealed box. Fronts and sub driven by a 4 channel amp, rears by the head unit. Good sound, no real loss of utility space.

And the tint in my truck (20 on sidea and back, 55 windshield) made a HUGE difference in the hvac function in the summer.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/18/19 1:46 p.m.

Ignore the previous post. You have door pockets. My 89 didn't. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/21/19 11:48 p.m.

Some of you may have noticed that my driver side door is missing a handle. The window regulator also seems iffy and the sheet metal is wrinkled around the handle opening. I found a whole complete door for $40. Going to get it tomorrow on the way to work. Not sure if I'm going to swap the door or just move parts over. Will decide later. I'll probably still get new lock cylinders for both doors. I admittedly almost never actually lock my doors but I I at least want the option. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/26/19 4:32 p.m.

Truck is legal now. Been out driving around in it. And it has a new small scratch on the back bumper already. Stopped to help a guy with an overheating Suzuki Swift. We pushed his car off the road over to the shoulder where he proceeded to let it roll right into the back of the truck. Bumper was already tweaked so I just shook my head and after a couple words left him to wait for the other guy he said was on the way to help him. He didn't seem concerned over the new scuff on his bumper that already had a broken turn signal hanging from it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LQ3BOWIZJ7tpCcklLyUAUs4bvAETJcEMwaai9vnCP0iMyd1AxO7FZosmwlO7ehxJ