take13care
take13care New Reader
11/25/16 10:55 p.m.

Can someone just pick for me?

Both options are under 1g and in decent condition. They each are relatively stock and run and drive.

I'm leaning toward the civic hatch because it seems as if it would be easier to work on. And even though each would be cheap, I can't imagine anything being cheaper than a civic. The neon has the benefit of being 13 years newer.

The goal is to autox a stock class but if I end up somewhere else I don't care.

Any glaring reason to pick one over the other??

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
11/25/16 11:52 p.m.

Neon + SRT swap

untchabl
untchabl New Reader
11/26/16 12:11 a.m.

I vote Neon just because it's less likely to be stolen than any EG Civic

take13care
take13care New Reader
11/26/16 6:45 a.m.

Now what if I said the hatch had 150k and the neon had 200k

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
11/26/16 7:13 a.m.

The Civic is lighter and has better suspension geometry. It's definitely a better basis for motorsports.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
11/26/16 7:17 a.m.

Friend of mine just bought a EF Si hatch, and sold his 02 neon R/T shortly afterwards. He has marvelled at the size of the Honda aftermarket compared to the neon. Being a non-SRT neon means that the suspension, engine, and other parts are specific and don't crossover to the lower models. Even being the Chrysler "fanboy" I am at times, I'd get the civic.

take13care
take13care New Reader
11/26/16 7:28 a.m.

And in an interesting turn of events the race is tied!

There is a fair chance one of these vehicles will end up in my driveway this weekend.

MGS10
MGS10 New Reader
11/26/16 11:23 a.m.

Having owned a Neon, I would say they are a fun car to beat on. Being into Autocross though, a 91 Civic would be a lot of fun. I think if it were a first gen DOHC Neon with a 5 speed I would take that, but since its second Gen Neon I would go with the Civic. The Second Gen, while more refined, meaning the windows arent frame less and the trunk is less likely to leak, is heavier and I dont feel like it could be as competitive in stock class. It would be easy to add RT parts to the first Gen, converting to an SRT4 is a bit more involved.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
11/26/16 12:37 p.m.

I vote civic

79rex
79rex New Reader
11/26/16 3:52 p.m.

Im unsure of the stock classing for the Honda, but the neon will be in g street under scca rules. Itll never be competitive there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xJt8KdIIJL4QWwLUxXQpZnZWeuNkVh74UhCu4Zln72yFL2809Xnfe1Wsqqj3RCjs