JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
2/24/21 2:40 p.m.

I really dig the dark green. It will look killer with the wheel color, too. 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
2/25/21 7:52 a.m.

Purple flake gets my vote every time.  The dark green looks great.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/25/21 7:55 a.m.

Purple flake ftw

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/25/21 8:13 a.m.

If youre thinking vinyl,  and green, and not doing bodywork really,  can i suggest rustoleum? This is gloss hunter green, a couple years old. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/25/21 8:47 a.m.

Just say no to yellow brake calipers. Black them out!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
2/25/21 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I don't own an air compressor or plan on owning one large enough to do paint and vinyl is a whole lot less mess and prep work than even a cheap paint job.  If I hate it I can peel it off and go down the bodywork/paint rabbit hole.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
2/25/21 9:06 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Just say no to yellow brake calipers. Black them out!

But brightly colored brake calipers are cool.  Yellow looks great on CTS-Vs and I think it works with the bronze or copper wheels.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
2/25/21 9:58 a.m.
bigeyedfish said:

Purple flake gets my vote every time.  The dark green looks great.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

Purple flake ftw

Purple Flake is a great option! Hadn't though of that.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/26/21 1:33 p.m.

May I suggest this color: Gloss Passion Purple from Cheetah Wrap

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/26/21 2:13 p.m.

A dark green like Pontiac Brewster Green might be nice.  I would want something darker than Duster's Miata.  

Something that seems about like Brewster Green is Hexis Gloss Sherwood Green Vinyl Wrap.  Here's an image I found of it on a Porsche;

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
2/26/21 3:53 p.m.

I got a tube of green vinyl samples this afternoon.  Of the 7 I ordered there's 3 that I really like.  From left to right we have:

• Hexis Gloss Sherwood Green
  • Avery Glos Dark Green (close to BRG)
  • KPMF Matte Platinum Dark Sage
  • Oracal Gloss Bottle Green
  • Oracal Gloss Fir Tree Green Metallic
  • Oracal Gloss Police Green (looks very close to Porsche GT car green)
  • KPMF Gloss Green/Black Iridescent (this is the green I got in my first batch of samples)

The platinum dark sage is a cool color but a little too close to black primer for my taste.  I really like the Fir Metallic, Police Green and the Green/Black Iridescent.

All three of these look good with the wheel color, black trim pieces and I think they all would look good with yellow brake calipers.  The Fir Green is my favorite so far, I know Mrs. Racetruck does not like the Police Green because we recently saw a Cayman GT4 in that color and she commented on how awful of a color it is.  The Green/Black Iridescent is a close second to the Fir Green Metallic for me.

Police Green.

Black/Green Iridescent

Fir Green Metallic

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
2/26/21 4:02 p.m.

I like the Fir Green Metallic, in fact I will take an Aston Martin Vantage V8 in that color please. 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/26/21 4:05 p.m.

Out of that bunch the Sherwood Green is the one that jumps out at me.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/26/21 4:07 p.m.

Fir green for the motherberkeleying WIN!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/26/21 4:11 p.m.

The KMFDM is my favorite, but the Fir Green looks most like an OE color for that time period.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
2/26/21 5:01 p.m.

And yes it looks terrific with yellow.

Not the exact green but same idea.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/26/21 6:27 p.m.

Fir Green or that Black/Green Iridescent.  Can't loose with either; I think I'd go with the Black/Green if it was mine. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
2/26/21 7:30 p.m.

Wife immediately picked out the Sherwood green and the green/black iridescent. I'm hoping the clouds go away for a bit this weekend so I can roll it out into the sunshine. I might have to order some larger samples and wrap a fender in the Fir and green/black to actually make a decision. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/4/21 3:24 p.m.

Cleaned up the garage and hung up a bunch of tools since one of the walls in the garage is entirely pegboard.

Also, this showed up from Summit.  Summit even included a hat so I can fit in with the Corvette Club.  I went with a 3.54 gear for the C4 rearend, it seemed like the best balance and still a huge improvement over the 2.59 gear I have in the truck currently.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/7/21 9:48 p.m.

I made a list and crossed some things off of it this weekend. More details tomorrow.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/8/21 12:32 p.m.

I took another stab at 3D scanning the truck this weekend after I had some decent success with 3D scanning the transmission last fall.  The problem with 3D scanning an entire vehicle is the gloss of the paint and windows create a lot of glare which throws off the depth mapping in photogrammetry. A polarizing filter can help get around this some but the best way to get around that is to just coat whatever you are scanning in a matte texture.  When I was using a Romer Arm Laser Scanner we used Magnaflux Spotcheck but that stuff is like $25 a can or better, the GRM style solution was 3 bottles of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol and baby powder in a garden pump sprayer.  It worked OK.  Going forward I want to get a polarizing filter and use 90% or higher isopropyl with more baby powder.  The alcohol wasn't flashing off as fast as I would like and the powder coverage was a little light.

270 pictures and 12 hours of processing time later we had a good mesh.  Some spots are a little fuzzy from some glare from areas that didn't have as thick of coverage as I would have liked but I was loosing daylight so I had to shoot while I could.  The results are way better than what I got with the Kinect. It should be good enough to give flares and a front air dam another go.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/8/21 1:26 p.m.

That scan looks really good.  Definitely spot on for doing flares and bumper.

What program did you use for that?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/8/21 2:08 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Agisoft Metashape, it fell off a truck and is much easier to use than Meshroom or other programs of the likes.  It allows me to generate a set of markers to print out and place around the scan subject. I printed them on shipping label sticker paper and then stuck them right on the body panels of the truck. It helps make the alignment process go much smoother.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/10/21 12:23 p.m.

I took the truck for a little jog around the neighborhood.  The fuel map is way off, the 4.8 with a stock LS1 cam idles way better and pulls way more vacuum than the high strung 5.3 (which had some vacuum leaks).  I replaced a few seals in my hydroboost to try and fix the leak and the fluid leak is still there so a berked something up. 

Does anyone know anything about these hydroboosts?  Here's a video of where the leak is coming from, there is a weep hole on the underside of the hydroboost so I'm sure I messed up a seal or something but I'm about to load the parts cannon and order a replacement.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/11/21 7:52 a.m.

I drove the truck into work today. Terrorize Corporate America: South Carolina Edition is complete.

There were a few bolts that clanged on the ground at one point but I did a brief bolt check once I got to work and everything important is still attached.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yK0mejd4s5wCGcAMkfz5hZ25yDSVbr9toiHOYQQKRhJPfZWFZan4G0DyaVebhfmZ