1 2 3 4 5
Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
3/28/13 7:30 a.m.

SFC's are on the shopping list. You can use the TBI fuel pump in a carb application, but a return type pressure regulator must be added. Sure a LS1 / T56 would be fun, but that isn't the goal of this project.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
3/29/13 9:02 a.m.

Pulled the inner fenders out to remove more mouse-house. Damn varmits are every where! Haven't found any chewed wiring to my amazement. Needs another trip to the carwash for further hydro-therapy.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
4/10/13 9:58 p.m.

Well, bolted on a hood and drove it to work. Runs fine, just needs a new thermostat. Cleaned the inside and added some little trees...

Parts car is fully dismantled thanks to my sawzall. Turning wrenches is slow right? (ok, I didn't feel like fighting rusty bolts. I'm lazy like that.) Selling parts off it now, looks like I could break even pretty easily!

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/11/13 7:07 a.m.

Can't beat that. I rarely break even on anything after the first set of tires.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
4/16/13 3:08 p.m.

Motored all the way to Columbus and back last Sunday for lunch with the Ohio group, no problems. Now that the motor is proven good, (and the suspension / brakes shot) it's time to take everything apart!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
4/26/13 10:45 p.m.

Out you damn autotragic slushbox. You are banished from my garage. Take your perfomance sucking, fluid spewing, engine bogging, and sloppy gear choices with you! All hail the mighty manual trans!

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
4/26/13 10:51 p.m.

I can't believe I'm the first to say it but...

...Vortec 4800???

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
4/26/13 10:55 p.m.

I'd like to do that with a 6-speed, but the budget says no. Maybe in the future...

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
4/30/13 12:51 a.m.

If you don't have to deal with emissions, I would banish that Cat, they are usually clogged and you gain quite a bit of a power boost deleting it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
4/30/13 9:57 a.m.

'Proper' exhaust system is on the to do list.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
4/30/13 11:37 a.m.
Gearheadotaku shot:

All this pic needs is some crime scene tape.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/30/13 11:41 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: 'Proper' exhaust system is on the to do list.

I'll be curious to see this - there is not much room under there. Ours ended up awfully low.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/30/13 11:48 a.m.

I think the generally suggested solution for a good exhaust is a y-pipe and a single exhaust pipe run the length of the car. SLP had something that was pretty respected, I think.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/30/13 11:57 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I think the generally suggested solution for a good exhaust is a y-pipe and a single exhaust pipe run the length of the car. SLP had something that was pretty respected, I think.

Does it go in the driveshaft tunnel?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
4/30/13 12:06 p.m.

Yes, y pipe to large single pipe is the plan (stock routing). It swings right at the cat the back toward the tunnel.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
4/30/13 12:07 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
Gearheadotaku shot:
All this pic needs is some crime scene tape.

there were times when I wondered who was bleeding more, me or the car. Auto tranny's are always such a berkleying mess....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
4/30/13 5:51 p.m.

i still want a 700r4......

and i noticed on the 80's gm stuff, when mildly built with stock cam, thayd pick up a LOT woth headers, a good y-pipe, and 3 inch single exhaust.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/1/13 8:34 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Sorry, limited to 5.0 liters for future racing plans. Also don't have the coin for a trans that will hold up to that kind of power.

What about the ls 4.8 bored out to 5 liters?

Harvey
Harvey New Reader
5/1/13 9:28 a.m.

Totally into this thing. Thankfully you haven't posted pics of the interior as that always ruins things for me.

I always wanted an 89 TTA.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
5/1/13 11:38 a.m.

I ran true duals on an 84 z28 with a single 2 in 2 out flowmaster at the rear bumper.

It would rub the pavement on extreme potholes or speed bumps but sounded amazing. It was a rowdy 350. With home built 700r4. Eaton locker on stock rear. It was similar to the new Spartan locker.

I would get my SC's installed before any exhaust.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/1/13 11:44 a.m.
FranktheTank wrote: I ran true duals on an 84 z28 with a single 2 in 2 out flowmaster at the rear bumper. It would rub the pavement on extreme potholes or speed bumps but sounded amazing. It was a rowdy 350. With home built 700r4. Eaton locker on stock rear. It was similar to the new Spartan locker. I would get my SC's installed before any exhaust.

Mine was true duals with a crossover, 2 1/2" each, on a 400 with turbo mufflers. It sounded good. When you took off the rear half of the exhaust, it sounded amazing.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
5/1/13 1:52 p.m.

Trying to keep the exhaust fairly quiet. Wish I could duplicate the Corsa system from my C4 Vette. Quite at cruise, gutsy at WOT.

Plan is 350 spec y-pipe (much bigger tubes) into a 3 inch pipe to the muffler. Both tails will come out the same side (left) like an SLP system.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
5/1/13 2:29 p.m.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2142/pageid/3654/dynomax-vt-muffler-dyno-test-does-quiet-mean-slow.aspx

You can.... This is how.

Quiet at idle. Rowdy at WOT

I run a QTP electric cutout but you are space confined. I am not.

EDIT: Varex X-Force muffler seems to be the best valves muffler available. Expensive. I haven't seen a US dealer yet but know they are big in Australia and Canada.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
5/1/13 2:32 p.m.

I've heard the spring can break or other issues with the VT mufflers and then it's rowdy all the time.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
5/14/13 9:40 p.m.

Spent a week in GA so progress paused a bit.

....and after 9 hours of labor, a third pedal was born.....

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

Hallelujah!-Hallelujah!

Halle----lu-----jah!!

The Goddess heel'n'toe is pleased

Trans still needs to be installed, I'm getting there...

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ttamLVec9FEix7Ngyk5aAR5RiFHXVWB9YdEYgVCgoUpbf74FCacGhNL16X77Mdf0