2 3 4 5 6
pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
12/6/12 7:55 a.m.
teamilluminata wrote:

A lift in the garage. My kingdom for a lift in the garage!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/6/12 7:59 a.m.
teamilluminata wrote: What's this for? One on the left and one on the right, just behind the front wheels.

Those are most likely from A/C lines that were removed.

It's worth noting that if the condenser blower is still mounted up front, you'll probably want to get rid of it. It's to the left of the battery. Because of its location, the motors always seize. Then, if you send power to it, it will overheat. They are a common cause of fires in 911s. Removal is easy, I think it just has four sheet metal screws holding it on and a couple of gaskets. Remove it carefully, as the plastic housing can crack and you can get money for a good one. If the blower still works, you can get even more. Then make some cover plates for the holes to keep the mice out.

I'll probably pass on those wheels.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/6/12 8:01 a.m.

You can see the plastic housing of the blower motor in the lower right corner of this photo.

Photobucket

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/6/12 10:10 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote:
teamilluminata wrote:
A lift in the garage. My kingdom for a lift in the garage!

Careful what you wish for Pinchvalve. Once you've had access to a lift you can never go back.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/6/12 10:12 a.m.
Woody wrote: You can see the plastic housing of the blower motor in the lower right corner of this photo. Photobucket

I have a big hole there so I guess no blower motor.

What's that spare tire combination you have going on there?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/6/12 10:12 a.m.

You may have two washer systems. One fills near the fuel filler.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/6/12 10:14 a.m.
Woody wrote: You may have two washer systems. One fills near the fuel filler.

Yes, that's the one I was trying to fill. Where's the other one?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/6/12 4:08 p.m.

My car came with a carbon fiber duck tail in the back seat. As far as I can tell it has never been installed though it is not in pristine condition as it has two scratches in the jell coat. I think I'll sell it but I don't know what it's worth. It only weighs 11lbs!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
12/6/12 4:11 p.m.

Keep it for when (not if) you move up a class and want to shed weight. And let's face it that's the best place to loose weight

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/6/12 4:25 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Keep it for when (not if) you move up a class and want to shed weight. And let's face it that's the best place to loose weight

If I do that I'm going to use a whale tail. Right now I'd rather have the money to spend on other things for the car.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/7/12 6:49 p.m.

All loaded up for the RallyCross tomorrow. I hope we get to run. Because the car was in pieces last week I didn't preregister so I am 2nd and my co-driver 4th on the wait list. Hopefully four people have too much to drink tonight and can't get out of bed in the morning.

FooBag
FooBag New Reader
12/7/12 7:40 p.m.

If you can't get into the event & are up for driving a long ways, there's a rallycross near Des Moines, IA on Sunday! Its only like 9 hours one way from you.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/8/12 7:56 p.m.

I was honored to be the co-driver in this event, and I am SOOO happy that we were both able to make the entry list.

As soon as I get my photos together, I'll throw them up here.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/8/12 8:43 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I was honored to be the co-driver in this event, and I am SOOO happy that we were both able to make the entry list. As soon as I get my photos together, I'll throw them up here.

Oh man, I'm jelly jelly jelly! For some reason I inferred from your FB that you were rally-xing the 944!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/8/12 10:29 p.m.

Need pitchers!
Please?

logdog
logdog Reader
12/9/12 7:49 a.m.

I heard it was more of a MudX than a RallyX.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/9/12 9:53 a.m.

Sorry about taking a while to get back to everyone about the duck tail. I was out all day Saturday racing our car and when I got home, late, I was overwhelmed by requests for more information, pictures and shipping quotes. As I can't respond to everyone I've posted the duck tail on eBay as they are good at this stuff and I'm not so. Here's the link:

Porsche 911 Carbon Fiber Duck Tail Getty | eBay

if you have any questiuons let me know.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/9/12 3:34 p.m.

OK, time for a race report. Literally, I finally have time for a race report.

So the car performed flawlessly. Better than that it won it's class! Proof of concept-check.

It was a bit touch and go wether we'd get in but the poor weather kept a few preregisterds away so we were OK. I say we as I shared the car with 9Magazine's Brad Brownell. He knows 911s better than me and needed a ride so we both drove it.

The weather really was appalling, cold and wet. The two thngs I left England because of. I think it worked in our favor though as some of the other rear wheel drive cars couldn't even get off the line without a push. The rear engine in our 911 was just the ticket though the steering was a bit light in some of the soupy bits. Speaking of which I didn't notice any of the understeer people had warned me about. Once moving the car would only really over steer, throtle on and throttle off. Kind of fun. As always in these conditions slow is fast so I just took my time, especially as I had no idea what the car was going to do as I've only really driven it up a down a main road a few times. Got my first ever cone-free event too. This car is going to be great.

So the car works and people love it too. It could use a limited slip diff and those Yokohamas would have been better than the snow tires we had on but we can't complain. Now I have to clean the thing though :( It's not that dirty on the outside but the wheel wells are full of thick goopy mud. I bet it weighs 2-300 lbs more right now.

Heres some pictures:

Look, I'm not the only crazy fool RallyCrossing a Porsche.

3-2-1-GO, er go, go on then, go.

Look for a story about the event at 9 Magazine - The Porsche Enthusiasts Magazine soon

All dirtied up (underneath)

and some video

More rallycross action - YouTube First rallycross for 911 - YouTube

next event is January 5th. Fingers crossed for snow.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
12/9/12 4:32 p.m.

You know, even though you raised the ride height, it doesn't seem all that jacked up. Did you have any clearance issues? Congrats on the win!

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/9/12 5:32 p.m.

Yeah, you "won"... I'm not bitter or anything...

Here are a few good ones...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/9/12 6:41 p.m.

My wife just waked by the computer and said, and I quote: "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen a Porsche do." I heartily agreed with her.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/10/12 6:26 a.m.

This is what it's all about.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/10/12 6:44 a.m.
pres589 wrote: You know, even though you raised the ride height, it doesn't seem all that jacked up. Did you have any clearance issues? Congrats on the win!

I think the weight of the mud lowered it again!

No clearance issues. Tires are standard 911 diameter.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/10/12 6:46 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: My wife just waked by the computer and said, and I quote: "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen a Porsche do." I heartily agreed with her.

That's awesome. Made my day.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/10/12 7:20 a.m.

I just had an idea in the shower this morning. The 2013 Porsche Parade is in Traverse City, only 4 hours north of us so we were planning to attend and take this car, my colleague's Carrera and the BRAID sponsored 996 up there and join the fun. Now I'm thinking would't it be fun if there was some kind of RallyCross related event as part of the festivities? This could be either:

a) an actual RallyCross b) a RallyCross demonstration c) a RallyCross demonstration with ride-alongs

There are at least two more RallyCrossing Porsches in the Detroit area, possibly more further afield.

What do you think?

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OFDuYEUnxWhvdGLYhDF94rx3yfyRVkJff9cKyWouBO9lTwh0X9qBLDyGOY5NzD5G