1 2 3
madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
11/13/21 4:09 p.m.

Been accumulating parts for this build at least 4 years. Car is a crank window slick top coupe. Drive line will be LS1 from 04 GTO, Tremec Magnum F, 95 Q45 rear diff. Intended to be a street car with a/c, cruise, etc. Pictures are coming soon.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/13/21 5:20 p.m.

Nice mix!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/13/21 5:31 p.m.

Coupe too! 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
11/14/21 5:43 p.m.

Drift boi's dream. Keep it locked up when you are not driving it!

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
11/14/21 8:41 p.m.

There need to be more "old men" around these cars, haha

RACEC4R
RACEC4R New Reader
11/15/21 9:00 a.m.

Interested in your cruise control solution.

I have same combination, almost done working out AC, but cruise would be nice. 

Bet you need to have drive by wire to even have hopes of doing it though.

obsolete
obsolete Reader
11/15/21 11:04 a.m.

In for rambling.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 New Reader
11/15/21 7:18 p.m.

Awesome, looking forward to the build!

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
11/15/21 7:45 p.m.
RACEC4R said:

So these never came with cruise at all?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/15/21 8:01 p.m.
Honsch
Honsch Reader
11/16/21 1:00 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

They came with cruise, but you had to get the LE.

Cruise works very well with a boosted KA.

RACEC4R
RACEC4R New Reader
11/16/21 6:48 a.m.
GCrites80s said:
RACEC4R said:

Mine actually has cruise stock and is a 1990. But I meant the interface of the steering wheel switches (Nissan), vehicle speed (GM hopefully via OSS, but unsure what GM system uses, could be wheel speed sensors), throttle plate control (GM). So lots of figuring to get it working and I hadn't figured any of it yet.  I've barely been able to manage getting stock Nissan AC to work with GM PCM/AC equipment. Time consuming process that figurin is. LOL

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
11/16/21 2:14 p.m.

Nisfaux brace I built.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
11/16/21 3:31 p.m.
RACEC4R said:
GCrites80s said:
RACEC4R said:

Mine actually has cruise stock and is a 1990. But I meant the interface of the steering wheel switches (Nissan), vehicle speed (GM hopefully via OSS, but unsure what GM system uses, could be wheel speed sensors), throttle plate control (GM). So lots of figuring to get it working and I hadn't figured any of it yet.  I've barely been able to manage getting stock Nissan AC to work with GM PCM/AC equipment. Time consuming process that figurin is. LOL

You know, I figured cruise would be 100% the LS system and it was just going to be awkward to fine a place to put the controls. Never thought about wheel sensors vs. VSS (as it's called on older GMs).

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
11/16/21 4:17 p.m.

In reply to RACEC4R :

My plan is to use the Nissan Cruz system. I have to look at the FSM again tonight but as I recall other than the switches on the steering well the main inputs are clutch switch brake switch speed signal from the speedometer  I think that’s about it. The system has its own vacuum pump so it’s not dependent on manifold vacuum. And it’s more compact and lighter than the  General motors system that comes in a cast aluminum box. So if the speedometer signal is reliable from the GM ECM it should work. However at this point this is all hypothetical since my engine is still sitting on the ground.Sorry for the slow reply been a little busy the past couple days.

obsolete
obsolete Reader
11/16/21 5:29 p.m.

In reply to madmrak351 :

Has that been done before? Maybe it's no big deal, but I'm wondering how the Nissan system will react when it gets 3x the torque it expects when it pulls on the throttle cable.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
11/16/21 6:42 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Good question!! I have thought about that. It might be fine, however if it does apply too aggressively increasing the diameter of the bell crank the cable attaches to and or putting a restriction orfice in the vacuum line to the diaphragm might help. Or it just might not work any way. One way to find out....  And no I do not know of any other attempts at this. 

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
11/16/21 6:45 p.m.

This may be because you don’t need cruise control to drift..... somebody had to say it lol.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
11/16/21 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Yes I remember that song. Always enjoyed it. Now I am the old man!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/16/21 7:51 p.m.

In reply to madmrak351 :

I know.  All of a sudden I've become my dad. (I'm now 59).  

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
11/16/21 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I hear you. I’m 65 how did that happen?

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
11/16/21 8:24 p.m.

Cruise control diagram and car in my mess of a shop.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
11/16/21 8:29 p.m.

In reply to RACEC4R :

I guess I should ask if you are running DBW or DBC on your car? What is the end your running originally out of? Sorry spellcheck got me. What is the ECM you are running originally out of?

Honsch
Honsch Reader
11/16/21 10:52 p.m.
obsolete said:

In reply to madmrak351 :

I'm wondering how the Nissan system will react when it gets 3x the torque it expects when it pulls on the throttle cable.

Well my boosted KA with a hare under 300 rwtq has no issues.  If you hold down the accel button it'll pin the throttle.  WHEEEE!

RACEC4R
RACEC4R New Reader
11/17/21 10:46 a.m.
madmrak351 said:

In reply to RACEC4R :

I guess I should ask if you are running DBW or DBC on your car? What is the end your running originally out of? Sorry spellcheck got me. What is the ECM you are running originally out of?

I am running DBC.  Entire swap is from 1999 Z28 6MT.  The cable is a stock 1990 KA24E Nissan cable with a custom cable bracket holder. I have ran this setup for ~6 years now with a mix of hard daily driving and track use.  I've never had a failure of any system or even had the valve covers off in those 6 years except a coolant leak caused by myself. I like to keep it simple for reliability reasons, so I went with exactly what came off the running vehicle.

If you have a full swap from a DBW car, I say keep it.  I think DBW is better than DBC, but DBC has yet to let me down.

Here are some photos for clarity and inspiration.  Hope it helps.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2SQIfu9qQZaD15OduQ69q3D43skb3S9MvpyL2Em4evv0jzgsCuDqqmurGYcrTUV4