1 2 3
appliance_racer
appliance_racer New Reader
2/22/17 3:37 p.m.

This....is.....awesome..

I have brainstorms about RWD conversions since cheap cars are usually FWD econoboxes. Suspension geometry is very interesting to me and I have a lot to learn. I'm following with interest.

turboshad
turboshad New Reader
3/1/17 12:06 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

Thanks for the input. I'm married to a certain amount of mechanical trail with high caster as I can only offset the SAI so much due to the inner wheel geometry which for all intents and purposes is none when running 12 degrees and trying to keep spherical angles to a minimum at "zero state" adjustment. Ya, I made a compromise on the scrub radius with the wheel offset. The right compromise? I guess I'll find out but I don't think where things are at will make the car be an absolute bear to drive.

I don't have plans to formally compete with this car. It is for my learning and enjoyment while not having to satisfy sponsors. It will be turned and drag raced but won't hit it's true potential in either due to me wanting to do both. I don't live in an area where I feel a dedicated track car makes sense nor can I afford to road race competitively. I will have some fun at a lapping events and some autocrosses but the build puts it in a highly modified field where I'd need some deep pockets and serious skill to be competitive. All in all I'm fairly confident that it will be handling a decent amount better than my stock geometry McPherson strut Dodge Shadow was which was already fun to drive.

turboshad
turboshad New Reader
3/1/17 12:08 p.m.

I got the fixtures machined and welded into place so I can start looking at the front tubing. This was kind of an exciting step as it is the first time I could see how the front structure would look in real life compared to the whole car. I found that I will most likely need to build a new firewall which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The original is full of holes I don't need and structural forming that will no longer be used. Making a new one will clean it up quite a bit while giving me good access to the inside during the build process. This also brought to light the inevitable challenge of attaching the front tube structure to the uni-body and roll cage in a structurally sound way. I think I've got this figured out after staring at if for a while and sleeping on it a few times. Originally I thought I would re-pad the firewall and butt the tubes to that but I don't think that will be sufficient so plan B it is. I also learned that when you run out of scrap 1 5/8" that swing outs work great for mock up. :D

For those that visit the Instagrams I am also documenting the process there. Updates are a little more frequent as I wait for more progress before posting on this log. Come give me a follow @turboshad.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

Pic6

Pic7

turboshad
turboshad New Reader
3/2/17 1:07 p.m.

I started some work on the rear suspension. It is very early stages but it will also be double A-arm pushrod IRS utilizing a Ford 8.8.

Pic1

I'll just leave this here......if for no better reason than I like looking at it.

Pic2

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
3/2/17 6:52 p.m.

In reply to turboshad:

Oh...... Oh my..... I need a moment...

turboshad
turboshad New Reader
3/3/17 5:58 p.m.

I think this was more exciting for me than it is on a build log for others but I placed the engine in the approximate location. Sometimes it feels like all I'm doing is not building but placing components and bars in jigs so you can stand back and stare at things helps solve current issues or reveal others that are hard to locate when working through a computer screen. Having the main tubes in place for the last few weeks has completely changed how I originally though I would get things done resulting in what I feel with be a stronger structure with better integration to the original uni-body. I'll stare at the engine while I prepare other areas and finish up the CAD models and let it ponder in my head for a while. I've found it's a great problem solving tool as it's amazing what time will unfold.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

Pic6

Pic7

Pic8

Pic9

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
3/3/17 7:22 p.m.

I like your creative use of depth of field.

maciekb2002
maciekb2002 New Reader
3/4/17 11:02 p.m.

Must be great to have drowning and designing skills like You have. I need to catch up with modern techniques. If You need some custom alloy or steel panels let me know we can make it happen Freshly build body for 65 alfa zagato  photo IMG_20170106_095024_zpshgqqvmkm.jpg

MGS10
MGS10 New Reader
3/5/17 1:18 p.m.

I'm excited to see this project happen. A RWD K car has always been something I wanted to see done, although I was thinking an Aries and its cool to see someone putting a that engine in a RWD project. I had looked into doing something like this, but the cost of finding a transmission with good gear ratios steered me a different direction. Its going to be cool to see this build happen, and maybe if I ever blow up the 4.3 in my MGB I will have to follow in your shoes.

turboshad
turboshad New Reader
4/4/17 9:52 a.m.

In reply to maciekb2002:

That looks like some great work! That is a skill I still like to pick up some day but for this car most (read all) of the modified panels will most likely end up in carbon fiber or fiberglass if funds start getting low.

In reply to MGS10:

Thanks. I think a 2.4 in a MGB would be sweet! In my experience they can put out quite a bit of power and still drive across the whole country reliably.

turboshad
turboshad New Reader
4/4/17 9:52 a.m.

It's been mostly disassembly lately as I strip the interior to get things ready for fabrication. It's now down to the shell and I'm ready to cut out the old cage so I can start on the new one and then get the front main frame members in. I pretty much have half the car hanging on my walls and from the rafters lol. :D

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

turboshad
turboshad New Reader
4/4/17 10:35 a.m.

My original plan was to have the steering rack at the rear of the engine nestled into the space in front on the bellhousing where the stock SRT4 oil pan is notched up. It was turning into a needle threading competition when looking at where the steering linkage would go and not having the rack interfere with the engine. I decided it would be much better if I could make it work in front of the engine giving myself much more room. Where the engine sat it gave some really bad tie rod end angles so the only recourse was to move the engine back 5". This actually provide quite a few benefits but it was more of a snowman effect than a single snowball. By moving the engine I had to modify 7 different components, one of which was the header. That was one part that I was very glad I'd never have to do again.......or so I thought. That being said every modification resulted in a better product so despite the work I'm very glad I did it.

List of changes:

• Moved engine back resulting in better fore/aft weight balance.
  • Moved steering rack up front for better linkage design and geometry.
  • With the steering rack up front I was able to drop the engine 1.5" for a better CG.
  • With a lower engine further back it will allow for radiator venting through hood helping under hood temps and pressure build up.
  • The current header was now hitting the tube frame and with a rad vent the current turbo position would be sucking hot rad air so I re-made the header moving turbo to the side. This also gave a nice spot to display the wastegates and I was able to get the runners +/- .0015" of each other.
  • Re-made lower intercooler inlet for center inlet and better air distribution. I was never a fan of the lower log style of the inlet but it was all I could fit in.
  • Made the intake plenum and intercooler inlet a permanent part of the intercooler for less bulk, weight and fabrication.
  • Swapped the calipers and steering arm front to back on uprights. No real advantage here that I can think of but it obviously just had to be done.

Pic1

Pic2

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oKoSI6nBfWeoAbRuh67sYG79uYVGyZl2gRSsUMcy5wHBHFCA0MNXzt1AUqhuAfQz