Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
11/17/19 1:28 p.m.

I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring of other great project cars. Mainly to try and keep my self motivated to get the car back on the track. 

Some of you with a keen eye towards the 4th gen Camaro's will catch the title don't match up to the car. It however is a 95' but I swapped to a 2002 SS front clip after a minor run in with a pot hole. I liked the SS hood of the later cars as well as the headlights. 

I know its like putting lipstick on a pig. Eventually it'll have an LS based engine and transmission.. but for now it is what it is and I need seat time..

Here's a brief run down of mods to the car.

It has a tubular K member with adjustable lower tube control arms and non adjustable tube uppers. I believe it is all PA racing stuff. I how ever  have never been too impressed with the construction of this kit. 

I used to have single adjustable QA1 front coil-overs but those are currently getting swapped out for Viking double adjustable's.

Front brakes are 13" corvette c-5. 

Rear suspension is double adjustable control arms with heim's, cut springs,bilstein shocks, double adjustable pan hard bar with drop mount, and a stock torque arm.

It has BMR weld on sub-frame connector's.

Rear axle is currently the stock 7.5 with an auburn posi unit and 4:10 gears. I upgraded to the 98-02 larger rear disc brakes.

The wheels are TSW Indy's they are 18 x 9 in the front and I believe 18 x 10.5 in the rear. Tires are old BFG's KDW in 265/35 and 295/35. 

This car hasn't seen the track since the photo above was taken in 2010 at the first Optima Search for the Ultimate Street Car event.. back when it was just one event and not the current series it is now.

Life happened and the car has sat for all this time.  Since 2010 I became a volunteer Fire Fighter. That has a big part in why this car has sat. In the time that has passed, I have seen my brother pass away after a year long fight with congestive heart failure, my childhood best friend burned to death in a house fire, as well as my parents losing their home to a structure fire. Then my mother going into a 7 week coma before she passed away due to complications due to the fire. The story is even more wrenching but that is for another time.. so the story goes on that the car has been in the garage since that race.

So fast forward to today. I am currently trying to get the car updated and ready for track duty in 2020. Currently I am in the middle of doing a T56 swap and preparing for a rear coil over setup.  I hope by starting the rebuild thread here that it'll somehow keep my motivated.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
11/17/19 3:15 p.m.

Welcome to the forum!

While we'll be able to help you keep motivated with your build, I also want to add that the members are very supportive of each other when we have difficulty in our lives. The GRM forum is amazing. 

So, let me say it again. Welcome to the forum!

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
11/17/19 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Gtholen :

Welcome to the forum.  I built a 1997 for this year's challenge nothing wrong with the lt1...  they are great cars for the money!

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
11/19/19 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Thanks! I'm looking forward to being a part of the group.

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
11/19/19 8:28 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

That's a good looking camaro! What all is done to your car? I'd like to run CAM next year but not sure what class i'll be in.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
11/20/19 9:26 a.m.

I just picked up a '95 for reasons I still can't understand, so I'll follow along with yours to get ideas for mine!

Welcome aboard.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
11/20/19 3:07 p.m.

Welcome to the site!

Another LT1 fan here with a 94 1LE;

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
11/30/19 7:09 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Thanks. I hope I don't lead you astray...lol

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
11/30/19 7:10 p.m.

In reply to pontiacstogo :

Thanks,

That's a good looking Camaro!

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
11/30/19 9:53 p.m.

I got the car up on jack stands and started going over some of the front suspension. 

I am wanting to fabricate a new stronger/stiffer front sway bar mount. The stamped factory piece seems like it would move around. Anyone ever have any deflection issues with these stock pieces?

While I was messing around tonight I made a quick Uniball mount for the upper coil over mounting stud. This coil over was designed to be mounted in the stock rubber upper mount. I know there are double shear mounts on the market and all I would have to do is buy the correct pieces but I like to build stuff. I thought it was a good alternative to the factory thick rubber unit. I know Uniballs are used a lot in suspension fabrication so I had some pieces laying around. The welds are not that great as I was running out of argon. These are only for mock up. If I decide to try them I'll make new ones.

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
12/5/19 8:34 p.m.

Bought a set of BMR sub-frame connectors.  Decided to have them sandblasted so I can paint the top sides before I install them. 

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
12/5/19 9:28 p.m.
Gtholen said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

That's a good looking camaro! What all is done to your car? I'd like to run CAM next year but not sure what class i'll be in.

CAM-T, come join the madness.

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
12/5/19 9:57 p.m.
Patientzero said:
Gtholen said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

CAM-T, come join the madness.

Sounds like a plan to me. I was reading over the rule changes the other day on the Cam Facebook page. 

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
12/5/19 10:09 p.m.

So you saw my memes?  haha

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
12/6/19 6:54 a.m.

Maybe.lol I saw a lot of meme's yesterday. Its been fun to read all the comments.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZWMWtAFEyrVuWz0Bzny9luwAnnO9LVtINT4Ve9WPimTb5L8oX41LlxqtyfQhvNUT