8 9 10
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/18 10:09 a.m.
codrus said:

They actually did make a "superlegera track version with no AC and a hard top", it was the 2003 Club Sport.  I seem to recall that it sold terribly. :)

Yup, they made 50 (25 with the hardtop and no soft top, 25 with the soft top) and it took something like a year to sell them all. The enthusiasts demanded, Mazda responded, the market said "meh".

Keep in mind that Mazda is a small company and that the Miata is a very low volume car. Adding power takes a lot of extra engineering if you want to do it well. Mazda did it once in 2004 and again, not a great seller. That model had unique halfshafts, diff, water pump outlets, rear spring lengths - all sorts of expensive little things that you don't realize. We should be happy that Mazda is willing to develop a single platform with RWD and a longitudinal engine for a car that sells for $25k.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/5/18 10:23 a.m.

Back around 02-03 in LA my roommate had a new 6 speed Miata that I used to take through Topanga Canyon from the SFV into Malibu a couple times a week, just for the hell of it. (She was a very cool roommate.)

I loved it, for that purpose. It's what originally put them on my radar as something other than a "chick car". 

However, here in rural Texas with 95% of the driving done at 70 mph+ on mostly straight roads, and very few curvy [paved] roads, I just don't see myself being anything but bored with one as a street car. 

I guess you could say I love them, and I don't, all at the same time. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/18 10:53 a.m.

They're also no good at hauling livestock trailers. Man, so  overrated.

Stampie
Stampie UltraDork
4/5/18 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That reminds me of a product idea Lil Stampie has for you.  I was discussing the light weight trailer hitches and he said it would be cool to have a wing that could go into the receiver so once at the track you just switch trailer for wing.  ©2018 by Lil Stampie but he may be willing to trade said copyright for go fast Miata parts. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/18 11:51 a.m.

I...kinda like it.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Reader
4/5/18 12:14 p.m.

Me too, when can I order it?

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
4/5/18 12:17 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Keep in mind that a Spec Miata is a far cry from a well-done street NA/NB, and VERY far from an ND. If you only equate "Miata" with "cheap caged track rat", you're doing yourself a disservice. They can do that very well, but they can do a lot more.

I don't disagree at all.  It's more that I don't really want a two seat convertible for a street car.  If I did then an ND would be right at the top of the list of cars I'd buy.  I want something that seats 4 adults comfortably, isn't annoying on twisty roads and eats highway miles quietly and competently with the cruise set at 80. Bonus points if it does all that with a muted V8 rumble.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/18 12:24 p.m.
APEowner said:
Keith Tanner said:

Keep in mind that a Spec Miata is a far cry from a well-done street NA/NB, and VERY far from an ND. If you only equate "Miata" with "cheap caged track rat", you're doing yourself a disservice. They can do that very well, but they can do a lot more.

I don't disagree at all.  It's more that I don't really want a two seat convertible for a street car.  If I did then an ND would be right at the top of the list of cars I'd buy.  I want something that seats 4 adults comfortably, isn't annoying on twisty roads and eats highway miles quietly and competently with the cruise set at 80. Bonus points if it does all that with a muted V8 rumble.

Which is why there's the E39 M5 in my garage laugh

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
4/5/18 1:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
APEowner said:
Keith Tanner said:

Which is why there's the E39 M5 in my garage laugh

Now that's a car I'm tempted to add to my fleet! 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
4/5/18 2:36 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

probably some time after they figure out how to stabilize it side-to-side.

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim MegaDork
4/5/18 2:46 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Seth, I think you should stop by a Mazda dealership and try an ND. I'd be interested in your thoughts. So many people here say "Miata" and mean "NA/NB" and then forget that there are two generations after that. The 1999 is based on a platform designed in the 80's, the ND is based on a platform designed in the teens. I think it keeps a lot of the desirable attributes of the early cars but without a lot of the drawbacks.

As a serial NA owner and now the owner of a completely stock ND - yeah, I know, my account is probably getting locked any second now   - I have to concur. The ND feels like a much improved NA, with fewer of the drawbacks.

Of course I still wouldn't mind another NA, but that's a different story.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/18 9:26 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
Floating Doc said:

Guy wires running forward to the Frankenstein bolts 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/5/18 9:27 p.m.
BoxheadCougarTim said:
Keith Tanner said:

Seth, I think you should stop by a Mazda dealership and try an ND. I'd be interested in your thoughts. So many people here say "Miata" and mean "NA/NB" and then forget that there are two generations after that. The 1999 is based on a platform designed in the 80's, the ND is based on a platform designed in the teens. I think it keeps a lot of the desirable attributes of the early cars but without a lot of the drawbacks.

As a serial NA owner and now the owner of a completely stock ND - yeah, I know, my account is probably getting locked any second now   - I have to concur. The ND feels like a much improved NA, with fewer of the drawbacks.

Of course I still wouldn't mind another NA, but that's a different story.

I get to drive my nicely modified NA back to back with NDs of all sorts. There are definitely some aspects of the NA we don't want to lose. That steering!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
4/6/18 11:22 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
sleepyhead said:
Floating Doc said:

Guy wires running forward to the Frankenstein bolts 

I've got limited experience with trailer hitches... but the ones I have seen have been a pretty sloppy fit into the receptacle... so, You'll probably also want some kind of two piece sliding wedge mount into the trailer hitch to take up that slack; or would you simply tighten up the guy wires to try and take out that slop?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/6/18 12:13 p.m.

You can design the insert with a threaded hole so you can put a bolt through. Makes a very solid connection.

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
10/22/18 10:16 a.m.

Not my Problem Miata is no longer Mine or Seth's problem. 

It went to live with my buddy and fellow North Texas Autocrosser last Tuesday. 

I have been quietly passing word that it was for sale over the past 7 weeks since Seth and I picked up the 94 "Give love a chance" RallyX Miata. 

I was very picky about who the car went to because it was imperfect and I wanted to be in full control of the sale and be 100% upfront on the car with the buyer and wanted to make sure if something happened to the car down the road that I wasn't left looking like a dick. 

8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TYxcPxTlhbTuvoX5wiWnpgVPEeQ2fqJXJOUb1GxzraMgtiYELqFdOPdQlUNd00t2