RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/10/20 4:14 p.m.

Hey everyone. At the suggestion of some people who seem as excited as me and my brother, I am going to be making a dedicated build thread to something that started around 2009. My brother has owned his White MK3 Supra for a very long time and what initially started off as a typical car enthusiast project that was based on a lot of Option (japanese magazine) hype turned into something more functional and performance based over time.

We are planning a joint project next year to enter the car in Time Attack competition with him as the builder/engineer/driver and me as the driver. I'm super excited about this project/collaboration because I also used to own a Supra but had to get rid of it due to being a broke college kid and excessive rust. This was what MY Supra was like when I first got it from my uncle:

And this is was my brother's supra when he first got the shell from California:

The base of the setup was a VVTi 1JZ with nice high end parts. My brother has all of these things memorized but I don't. He's had BBS rims, Gram Lights, etc. as well as Shine Auto things, various bumpers (GReddy etc). He's switched mirrors back and forth between the race mirrors. He's had a Do Luck Spoiler, a Lip spoiler, and even wingless at times.

What started as a street car slowly became a more performance oriented track car as he got hooked on track days. It's been to NJMP, WGI, LRP, Pocono, and some autocross events.

So in 2019, he decided to start making things a bit more serious and he added a very nice custom fit half-cage and a racing seat/harness setup, as well as a new aero "package". Home depot motorsports splitter and 71" Elan Motorsports wing and custom designed/fabricated mounts (by him).

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/10/20 5:32 p.m.

Man that is gorgeous !! 

reading all the JDM labeled stuff literally gave me a hard on ! 

I have been hunting a Cressida wagon or a 91-92 supra only to put alongside my Mr2's

cant seem to find many clean ones. I have a lead on a local one, but he won't go lower than 20k and I won't go higher than 15k on that car 

will follow your progress and thread !!! 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
8/10/20 5:54 p.m.

I lowkey like these more than the MKIV. Oddly my neighborhood has 4 of these from what I seen. One guy has a really clean black MKIII, another older guy has a green one and a s55 amg, and another has a red MKIII and a 3000gt.

8/10/20 7:10 p.m.
yupididit said:

I lowkey like these more than the MKIV. Oddly my neighborhood has 4 of these from what I seen. One guy has a really clean black MKIII, another older guy has a green one and a s55 amg, and another has a red MKIII and a 3000gt.

I really love the MKIII Supra. I miss my old one but it was too rusty to save.

8/10/20 7:10 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Man that is gorgeous !! 

reading all the JDM labeled stuff literally gave me a hard on ! 

I have been hunting a Cressida wagon or a 91-92 supra only to put alongside my Mr2's

cant seem to find many clean ones. I have a lead on a local one, but he won't go lower than 20k and I won't go higher than 15k on that car 

will follow your progress and thread !!! 

Yeah, it was a clean california shell before we decided to mess with it. You've got great taste though, I loved MR2's! The values of MK3 Supras is insane these days though. These used to be the "beater" supras that no one wanted...

christinaylam (Forum Supporter)
christinaylam (Forum Supporter) New Reader
8/10/20 7:46 p.m.

Seen this car around the paddock at events. Very cool to see the evolution of the car over the years. You guys really stepped it up in 2019. Can't wait to see where this project takes you! 

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/10/20 8:00 p.m.

Hope to see this out at NJMP one of these days.

8/10/20 8:05 p.m.
trumant (Forum Supporter) said:

Hope to see this out at NJMP one of these days.

NJMP is his favorite/most frequented track, but right now the car is in pieces for suspension development.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/10/20 8:29 p.m.

I had a white 5-speed 1988 turbo with maroon interior and white wheels after I graduated college.  It was a great car.

Love seeing yours on track, keep it up!

8/11/20 5:14 a.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

I had a white 5-speed 1988 turbo with maroon interior and white wheels after I graduated college.  It was a great car.

Love seeing yours on track, keep it up!

Thanks! Can't wait to drive this thing next year.

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/11/20 7:44 a.m.

Had a 89 MKIII Turbo. Funny thing is it was a drift car that was just jacked up on the front. At that time of my life I couldnt afford the Supra tax so I ended trading to to a guy who put the engine and trans in a Cressida. Turns out the R154 trans was GOLD so far as expensive and the engine was built (who knew?).

And once I pulled the bumper off........ugh.  Wire harness butt connected.....had to pass.

I miss it............great car.  Love yours!

8/11/20 11:12 a.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Damn! Why do people use these as drift missiles? Good find though!

bonylad
bonylad Reader
8/14/20 7:18 a.m.

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

Truth. Probably because the cars are tanks. I mean the one I had minus the obvious was solid. I see why they are so heavy! IDK at one point they were so dirt cheap, then everyone who couldnt find/afford/own (whatever) a MK4 found these and they went up in value.  Either way, enjoy yours and have fun!

8/16/20 6:13 p.m.
bonylad said:

Truth. Probably because the cars are tanks. I mean the one I had minus the obvious was solid. I see why they are so heavy! IDK at one point they were so dirt cheap, then everyone who couldnt find/afford/own (whatever) a MK4 found these and they went up in value.  Either way, enjoy yours and have fun!

That is definitely the reason. It's how I could land one in college (but is gone now)

The one that we have and I'll be driving actually belongs to my brother, but he doesn't post on here and I figured it'd be something cool to post about. There's going to be a bit of changes for winter that are exciting.

8/22/20 7:10 p.m.

Posting from my phone so I hope this works. Just some additional pictures of what powers this thing. 1JZ VVTi, HKS turbo, HPI manifold, and Brembo brakes. Suspension is being switched from custom valved Aragostas to something a little fancier (Ohlin TTX)

Pics of suspension and new limited slip differential will be posted when they arrive

8/31/20 5:40 p.m.

Here it is! The new suspension setup fresh built from Inertia Labs.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/31/20 7:08 p.m.

I keep clicking this to see if its gona be for sale LOL

9/2/20 4:46 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I keep clicking this to see if its gona be for sale LOL

Can't see that happening anytime soon! Pretty sure it'll be buried with my brother.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
9/3/20 3:40 a.m.

9/10/20 11:22 a.m.

Freshly rebuilt OS Giken LSD. New bearing seals, solid spacer no crush.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/10/20 12:48 p.m.

Following.  Badass.

10/24/20 3:48 p.m.

FYI, this build thread isn't over, but COVID delays on parts are slowing progress. Can't wait to see the improvements over winter.

2Girlsracing
2Girlsracing New Reader
10/24/20 8:58 p.m.

Always liked the mk3 supra, they used to race them here in Australia at Bathurst, very cool car with plenty of performance  potential. I seem tk remember people building 1.5jz motors which was the 1j bottom end with a 2j head??

10/31/20 3:44 p.m.
2Girlsracing said:

Always liked the mk3 supra, they used to race them here in Australia at Bathurst, very cool car with plenty of performance  potential. I seem tk remember people building 1.5jz motors which was the 1j bottom end with a 2j head??

Yup, still a common thing but mostly due to the availability/cheapness of 2JZGE blocks. There was once an idea that the 1J head had better flow than the 2J but I think that was disproven.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dle17e4D00YOty3jHw8qMCVuqn5bCTAe1i0He3ZTCdXpz2P9fHjid8cyfLFsBv7c