9 10 11 12
The0retical
The0retical UberDork
9/25/19 4:32 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Yep that's pretty much what it looked like.

I'm not much help on the bleeding side sadly.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
9/25/19 7:57 p.m.

Floors look great, Sara! And thanks for letting us have Chris for the weekend :)

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
9/25/19 8:02 p.m.

Not much help on bleeding the line here either.  No experience with that.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/25/19 8:05 p.m.

Is there a way to do a reverse bleed like motorcycle brakes? 

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
9/25/19 8:20 p.m.

I have a 'Phoenix' brake bleeding gun that forces fluid backwards thru the system you happen to be bleeding thereby forcing the bubbles to the high point in the system.....what is your fuel line dia?

CJ
CJ HalfDork
9/25/19 8:43 p.m.

Any way you could put a little pressure to your oil tank?  A couple of PSI should bleed your line.

Be careful, much more pressure than that may blow the tank apart.

Are there any water separators in the line?  They can clog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/26/19 5:53 a.m.

I have a feeling that I can get it bled by disconnecting the line into the filter, vacuum bleeding there, then moving to the one after the filter, then the burner itself- I think right now there are just too many pieces between the tank and the bleed port.  It gets fuel but not without air.

Barring that, I'll probably rig up some sort of gravity reverse bleed arrangement with a big funnel or something.  This will probably seem a lot easier when it's not being done at 11pm with work the next morning.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/5/19 6:31 p.m.

I couldn't get the stupid furnace to bleed and stay primed so I swapped out the pump from the old one:

Result?  Success!  The fuel line stopped having air after a few cycles and it makes heat:

Needs a new thermostat but otherwise seems good to me- back to floors.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
10/5/19 8:34 p.m.

Hooray.

I was getting worried that it wouldn't work because I missed something or we damaged it moving from the basement (thanks again by the way.)

I hope it serves you well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/5/19 8:41 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

I think it'll do just fine- thank you for offering it to us!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/6/19 8:18 p.m.

More floors.

Unfinished section in this picture is all that's left for hardwood:

Why don't they make those stupid nailer things tall enough for normal sized people?  Ow my back.

kodachrome
kodachrome New Reader
10/6/19 9:00 p.m.

I killed him. Oops. 

kodachrome
kodachrome New Reader
10/6/19 9:06 p.m.

Although to be fair, we all love the cardboard beds around here. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/8/19 7:04 a.m.

Trying to figure out if my new thermostat in the shop is bad out of the box:

Standard 3-wire Honeywell thermostat, microswitches are set for forced air oil heat.  The R and W terminals do not have continuity to eachother no matter what the set temperature and room temperature are.  Is broken, right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/17/19 12:45 p.m.

New thermostat and reconnecting a wire that came loose during transport fixed the furnace- we have shop heat!  And the shop roof is done.  And the house floors are pretty close.  Hooray!

kodachrome
kodachrome New Reader
10/21/19 11:32 a.m.

We have a living room again! With fun new art

bluej
bluej UberDork
10/21/19 11:49 a.m.

Looks great!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/21/19 1:20 p.m.

That looks amazing; good job!

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/21/19 4:36 p.m.

The kittahs approve :)

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
10/21/19 7:58 p.m.

Excellent....Koda  is this project(floors) finished?

Sk1dmark
Sk1dmark New Reader
10/21/19 9:12 p.m.

Floors look great!

kodachrome
kodachrome New Reader
10/22/19 8:14 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Almost...have trim and thresholds for the hardwood sections. And the back rooms still need the "luxury vinyl plank" stuff installed. That is likely an after challenge adventure. Because let's be honest, I'll probably spend all of challenge weekend playing with my animals and not getting housework done while Chris is away.

bluej
bluej UberDork
10/22/19 8:21 p.m.
kodachrome said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

Almost...have trim and thresholds for the hardwood sections. And the back rooms still need the "luxury vinyl plank" stuff installed. That is likely an after challenge adventure. Because let's be honest, I'll probably spend all of challenge weekend playing with my animals and not getting housework done while Chris is away.

I mean, that's kinda only fair. Everyone plays at the same time :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
11/18/19 8:55 a.m.

More floors!  Vinyl going in:  

Aaaand done (except for trim):  

I'm glad it's done, it was an interesting learning process for sure.  You need to leave a 3/8" expansion gap at the edges, which is annoying to try to maintain for the first few rows since it's easy to push things around by accident, but once enough rows are down the weight of the floor helps hold it in place and things get easier.  If you're going to use this stuff get good blades for whatever cutting implements you use since it dulls jigsaw and circular saw blades in a hurry.

Compared to hardwood, I like that it doesn't require fastening and has its' own underlayment, although getting the little tongue and groove stuff to engage is fiddly and it's easy to ruin a piece by dropping it edge first.  Overall it went down quickly once we had our technique worked out.

Side note, although we borrowed proper flooring tools for the hardwood we did the entire vinyl side using an ancient radial arm saw and a jigsaw.  The jigsaw I'm comfortable with- the radial arm saw is definitely a capable but uniquely dangerous tool, especially when set up in "ripping" mode which turns it into some sort of upside down table saw monstrosity with a higher likelihood of throwing the board and nothing to stop the user slipping into the blade.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/8/19 11:53 a.m.

I put together a tire rack with leftover deck screws from the floors and some 2x4s.  Historically I'm pretty bad at wood-based construction so if it doesn't collapse I'm happy:

9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ugdL09wzzx8DPmrQwSPjxkRDKQoqirnqeaF1ZVNf0fsLFqtxrg5ZCw2nnH2TFdUw