1 2
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
6/11/11 9:48 p.m.

OK finally getting started on this car.

Prepping the body and am wondering about the plastic trim tabs under the doors. Anybody know an effective way to remove these pieces?

If not, what is the best place to source replacements for parts on these cars?

Steve

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is it as brought home.

Other threads on this car.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/gtv6-questions/20081/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/meet-my-newest/20008/page1/

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
6/11/11 10:55 p.m.

Nice. Looking forward to reading more about this.

mike
mike Reader
6/11/11 11:53 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: Nice. Looking forward to reading more about this.

Me too.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
6/12/11 12:07 a.m.

These are the trim tabs mentioned

Photobucket

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
6/12/11 12:08 a.m.

and so it begins

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
6/12/11 12:09 a.m.

The worst spot is at the top of the passenger side inner fender

Photobucket

A little 2.5 hemi goodness

Photobucket

Luke
Luke SuperDork
6/12/11 7:25 a.m.

Nice progress, Steve.

What's the plan for this one? Any modifications on the cards?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
6/12/11 9:38 a.m.

After much consideration this one probably going to be a running resto, just a fun stocker. These unmolested clean bodies are getting thin on the ground.

It is an early one, 1981 non sunroof. Always had a thing for the GTV6 since the days of Dominic Beninca and his 1000hp turbo sports sedan.

Was picked up from a forum member who is interested in the progress. He can post up if he wishes.

It's hard to do much to these, they have 50/50 balance, never had an LSD from the factory, wheels weigh 11lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD7uF6nHakU&playnext=1&list=PLDFB5C4BE32B25DF0

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
6/12/11 9:41 a.m.

wow... can't remember the last time I saw one of these that was not either a: Raced out B: totally restored to 100% C: completely rotted out.

this interests me

Luke
Luke SuperDork
6/12/11 9:50 a.m.

They certainly do make great street cars. Lots of torque and they make a lovely noise.

...not bad rally cars, either

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=2221.0

Re L.S.D...did the 3L Milano get an LSD? All the Aussie Twin-Spark 75s had them.

CLH
CLH New Reader
6/12/11 10:09 a.m.

Nice find. My best friend in high school (early eighties) had a '78 Alfetta GT. That thing made such a wonderful noise...

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
6/12/11 3:34 p.m.

See Alfabb.com for supplier lists

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
6/12/11 7:39 p.m.

Verde and platinum have an LSD. Suspension upgrades make a huge difference, but yeah not much else is reall worth it.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
6/12/11 8:11 p.m.

Subscribed!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
6/13/11 7:51 a.m.
alfabeach wrote: See Alfabb.com for supplier lists

Not just for a supplier list- there's a good group of V6 guys who post over there- well, at least they did. I'm pretty sure most of them can be found again.

that's an '81? Seriously? Smoken body- that thing is in awesome shape! It's rare to find any 30 year old car that looks that good, let alone an Alfa.

it will be interesting to see you plans with it.

IMHO, GTV6's are at a crossroad right now. You could restore the heck out of it, and probably loose money, but it's desireable enough that only the investors will fault the layout. OTOH, you could also make a Lemons car out of it (and win the race, I might add, since it's been done), and, again, nobody would fault you. Well, except that the car is that nice....

Basically, the world is your oyster in terms of what you want to do with it. I really like your idea of rolling restoration, and adding performance parts can be quite invisible. Even going as far as swapping in a 3.0l would take a good eye to catch it.

but the bb would be better than me to suggest what to do with that gem you have.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
6/13/11 8:17 a.m.

Alfa Heaven has a few interesting GTV6s in their collection. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
6/13/11 8:43 a.m.

Joined Alfabb thanks guys. stay tuned for updates

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit Dork
6/13/11 11:15 a.m.

I am glad to see the car being taken care of. I had very mixed feelings when aussie came and picked it up. I knew that I did not have the space or time to get it right again but it really was hard to let it go.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
6/13/11 2:06 p.m.

Those are fun cars, pretty expensive though. There isnt anything really particularly bad about them if they are taken care of, and they are fun to drive. I had a milano for years, it was really mostly a fine daily driver, but I didnt have enough time to keep working on it so i sold it. I think for about $15k you could make a milano or gtv6 into a pretty good car though. Before you put too much into it i would make sure you like it, because it will be fun, but you are going to spend at least $15k fixing it up, and it will be worth $5-6k when you are done.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
6/13/11 2:13 p.m.

Remove the trim tabs, fill the holes, sand, and paint with black truck bed liner. Simple, cheaper than tracking down trim, and no water can get caught behind the trim and start rust. And you get the black look that'll really protect the metal.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit Dork
6/14/11 8:49 a.m.

In reply to triumph5:

He has all of the trim, I had taken them off to fix the rust and then never did anything with it.

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
6/14/11 2:14 p.m.

Anyway...awesome project, can't wait to see what it looks like finished.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
6/14/11 2:30 p.m.

Yes, anyway, found that the tabs need to be rotated 45 degrees then pulled out, simple once you know how.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/27/12 11:09 a.m.

1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6

Quasimo1
Quasimo1 New Reader
1/12/13 2:00 p.m.

aussiesmg - Did you ever get this car up and running again?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PfQTCqShhfWMEU5TLhmZoo7HKAp5rimqmU7fXzP55FOWEUIHpKbBQl9NDPAeYZRS