1 2
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
10/4/20 2:42 p.m.

there have been a few times when towing home my new "treasure" , I have asked myself , "Why the Heel did I buy that"  as the time to fix it could be used better.....even if it was only watching OPRAH !

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/4/20 4:52 p.m.

I'd tinker with it enough to get it to move and stop on its own, then I'd make a decision about selling it.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/4/20 5:28 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I'd tinker with it enough to get it to move and stop on its own, then I'd make a decision about selling it.

that's what Carli said.  She sees the price of finished cars and sees the gap to what i paid for this one and gets dollar signs in her eyes.

here's where I'm at.  The car is inside, not in my way, the spare doors are rusty but the glass and guts are good so i can strip them and sell anything I don't need.  The rear clip has rust down low but  nice arches and upper quarters, so I will chop them off and put them in the loft and scrap the rusty crap.  The spare gas tank had rust holes and should have been scrapped.  He put 2 new tires on the front yesterday because he had bought them for the car.  The passenger fender kinda sucks, but it's usable with a patch down low.  It's definitely a case of it was hard to get around and look at everything being packed in his barn, but I don't regret the purchase.  It's quirky and neat and I've never had an LBC before.  

i just have to remember this is a step towards the big picture of working my way up to a skyline.  

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/4/20 6:12 p.m.

Sunbeams are cool cars. 

I didn't see this coming. 

I recommend getting the car to the point of some self movement if that's really possible then sell at that point for increased price (justified by increased drive-like capabilities.) 

I might have interest in tow dolly, maybe. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/5/20 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Should you decide to keep this, I have a set of Panasports that came off a Sunbeam Tiger and would look pretty "period correct"

10/5/20 8:47 a.m.

Yeah they would.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/19/20 7:17 a.m.

I know you don't wanna V8 swap it, but I just need to post this for inspiration...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-sunbeam-tiger-race-car/?fbclid=IwAR3dbZrBU73sKd7FRxyLeyLvNJ14_W0JOXx9iTEjrYr2x3Pp2rd91KPGqy4

10/19/20 7:51 a.m.

That is ridiculously gorgeous.  

seller has a factory hardtop that i can pick up for $100 at a later date.  I think I should do that.  

i think my plan is to part out all the extras from the parts car he cut up and then work on making the car run.  Judging on recently sold listings on ebay i gather it might not be hard to make 50% of the purchase price back on those pieces.  I have not fallen in love with it.  That's the sign for me to do minimal work to see if i can increase the value and then sell it along.  I didn't buy it to sell it initially, but the more i think about it this was a silly purchase probably because i was bored and i need to let it go and get the parking spot back.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/19/20 8:08 a.m.

Please grab the hard top. For reasons. Gah. No. So conflicted.....

10/19/20 8:16 a.m.

I'm planning to get the hardtop no matter what reasons you have, simply because it should make it more than $100 more attractive to someone 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/19/20 9:07 a.m.

Totally get you Pat, I have been trying to thin things out and do a smaller number of projects better myself.

I need an automated pop up yelling at me to not browse FB marketplace though...   

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
10/19/20 9:30 a.m.

One of the getting hard to find assemblies to make the "Tiger" conversion is the steering rack and tie rod parts.  The steering box in the Alpine, with the associated linkage wants to live where the V-8 has to sit.

A Mazda 12-A Rotary,  that was a sweet engine in this body.  

But your plan of getting it into "driver" condition makes the most scene.  They are a great segway back into the under 100hp cars of old that taught you to work with momentum to drive them well.   They were a great "B" road car that has no place on a modern Highway.

Have fun!

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
10/19/20 9:54 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

I know you don't wanna V8 swap it, but I just need to post this for inspiration...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-sunbeam-tiger-race-car/?fbclid=IwAR3dbZrBU73sKd7FRxyLeyLvNJ14_W0JOXx9iTEjrYr2x3Pp2rd91KPGqy4

That looks great - exactly what I was looking for in this thread

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/alpine-tiger-inspiration/175046/page1/

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/19/20 11:30 a.m.

Hooray for mazdeuce's upcoming Alpine build thread!

10/19/20 12:20 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Please grab the hard top. For reasons. Gah. No. So conflicted.....

just let him know i'll come grab the hardtop

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NTrg7niU9o1UrBq1LU6pSvvo02S3JD9IttdwUFdIUGkonXDBAApKWBQI2QZ13F4p