1 2
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/20 4:59 p.m.

Deposited, awaiting moving a dozen cars before it can leave the seller's shop, E36 M3ty CL pic

the plan?  There is no plan.  I'm hoping to get it running and driving and do a rolling restoration at some point.  I have never had an LBC so i figured what the hell, and i think it was a good deal.  Time will tell if that's true.  Only driven two convertibles, kinda enjoyed it.  Comes with a load of extras.  

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/20 5:01 p.m.

Weren't these ford v8 powered?

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/1/20 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

That was the Sunbeam Tiger. The Alpine was the original.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/1/20 5:10 p.m.

Tiger clone?

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/1/20 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

What series?   The series 1 had the highest tail fins and weakest motor. But it was more elegant somehow.  The series 4 was the biggest most powerful motor with the greatest potential. 
When my series 1 motor got tired I found a good deal on a series 4 and followed the hop up trends of the day to make an aggressively driven series 1 beat a Sunbeam tiger.  
I loved those wire wheels with the three ear knock offs. It the same car that donated the engine and transmission also had chrome wire wheels. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/1/20 5:14 p.m.

Taurus SHO V6 swap. devil

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
10/1/20 5:32 p.m.

A friend's dad had two (!) Tigers when I was in high school, and gave me a ride in one.

I mostly remember that we were on a quiet road, and he stopped and then took off and ran through a couple of gears. I mean, my exposure was limited in those days, and I think I'd just learned to drive stick in a worn out Volvo 145 wagon. But the Tiger sure felt faster than anything I'd imagined.

One of the Tigers was white with red interior, with white steelies and small chrome hubcaps. It was cute. I recall vividly seeing that for the first time, and my friend reaching in and starting it, and the cognitive dissonance that arose from the whir-whir-whir-WHUMP-thud-thud-thud-thud that emanated from it...

I don't think I'd be able to resist an engine swap, but they're nice looking things whatever's under the hood...

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/1/20 7:33 p.m.

So the rude comments about an empty driveway hit hard, eh?

I like it!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/20 7:35 p.m.

Nice score!

So...what are the other 11 cars, and are they for sale?

79rex
79rex Reader
10/1/20 7:46 p.m.

whats to the right of it?  bradley gt?

10/1/20 7:47 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Not sure, honestly.  Based on pictures i looked at i believe it's a series IV.  When he told me the price i forgot about asking what year it was and got way more interested in checking condition and seeing what extras there were.  

there is the entire rear clip and floor from another, doors, 2 interiors, extra suspension and brake parts, and another complete engine/transmission.  There may be a trailer involved too, didn't get a good look at that and he shot me a price via text that makes selling the dolly and my other trailer and getting the one from him very tempting.  

10/1/20 7:49 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

Nice score!

So...what are the other 11 cars, and are they for sale?

look in the cars for sale forum for the "car collection for sale" thread.  He has lots of stuff for sale.

the one next to it is supposedly a vw based kit body that is 1 of 1, a can-am racer wanted to make a street car and never got beyond the prototype stage. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/1/20 8:02 p.m.

Back in the early 80's I went and looked at a pair of Alpine's that someone had butchered trying to copy the Tiger by sliding a small for V8 in. Apparently the hack job that has tried thought he had as much skill as Carroll, (and whoever did the actual work on the Tigers) but found out it was a bit harder than that! After the first one was ruined, he tried a second time, and only ruined a second car.

I've owned a couple 'merican convertibles... only Brit car I've owned was a coupe. But I got to drive a friend's DD 79 MGB from time to time. Cool cars. Yes she was DD'ing a MGB in the 80's!

Good luck with the new Alpine, and congrats on the score!

caseyjones (Forum Supporter)
caseyjones (Forum Supporter) New Reader
10/1/20 11:54 p.m.

Alpines are fun!  Mine was really crusty but it was still a blast. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
10/2/20 6:57 a.m.

is there a modern 4 cyl Ford motor and 5 speed  that puts out 150hp or so  ?

that might be a nice way to not cut it up and still have enough power to be fun ......

There are enough Alpines out there that someone has probably done it  !

10/2/20 7:35 a.m.

I did read about tiger "conversions" and it sounds like the factory was pretty hacky.  I don't want to do that.  I have other cars that are mind melting quick for the street.  I don't plan on any swaps unless neither engine is any good.  I think my buy-in was at a point where the car will appreciate with everything i do to make it better and there is lots of recoup availability by selling the extras.  I generally make everything faster but i just love the shape of these and having the miata for a couple months before seth picked it up gave me an appreciation for small cars that handle and are slow enough to shift multiple times before you have to stop accelerating.  Plus it's kinda weird to me to start with a car that is over challenge budget at purchase.  

10/2/20 7:46 a.m.

I'm curious to see if that paint will buff up to a shine.  I see a few chips around the headlight, but it's possible it might be a real stunner after a bit of elbow-grease.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/2/20 8:58 a.m.

Agreed,  Scott. I hope a buffing,  best parts of all, and some tlc bring it back to life with a nice level of well earned patina for a summer driver. 

It also helps that i like the shape of these way better than the mg stuff of the era. At least in pictures. Don't think ive ever seen an alpine in real life. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/2/20 9:06 a.m.

I don't have any sources anymore for Sunbeam parts although knowing British manufactures  there may be pieces that interchange. 
Im sure there is a club in England for them and while most members are polishers, there will be one guy with a shed full of  parts and sources for others. 

Woody (...State Your Name...)
Woody (...State Your Name...) MegaDork
10/2/20 9:13 a.m.

Going waaaay back, I had a friend who pulled the blown engine out of an Alpine and swapped in a 2.0 Ford Pinto engine. He said the Pinto made about 100 hp, but it was substantially lighter than the Sunbeam unit.

These are really good looking cars. I prefer the later body style, which looks like what you have there.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/2/20 9:19 a.m.

I've already expressed my pleasure in this purchase to you but figured I should do it here as well.

I am pleased with this purchase. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/2/20 9:57 a.m.

Spare rear clip just screams matching trailer to me

10/4/20 2:24 p.m.

Looks like it's a 1967.  anyone want it for $4k?  That's leaving me a little for my time of getting everything from spread out to all in one place.   Title good, extras, looks complete when you look in all the stuff it came with.  I might just list it and see what happens before i tinker with things.  It now has 2 brand new front tires and rolls easily.  I am not as in love with the idea as i was a couple weeks ago.  I don't feel like it was a mistake, but i also think it needs more tinkering than i was thinking, and I don't need to back burner anything else to work on this.  #AngryWasRight

10/4/20 2:38 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

#AngryWasRight

He's never going to shut up about that...

10/4/20 2:42 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

I'm big enough to admit that I should have consulted the shorter smaller Patrick prior to purchase 

i have no doubt i can make money on it, it's just a matter of finding the right place to list it.  I would prefer to sell it now for smaller payoff than sell it later for more after i mess with it.  

it's not in bad shape, neat, looks like it should take a battery and an external fuel supply to get it running because underhood is all there, but my fix it up and drive it while they appreciate some more plan may be time wasted.   If i flip it for a little gain and got a good trailer from the guy at a solid price and can off my dolly and other trailer, it's a win.   

trailer isn't bad, needs some patching on a few places but is generally solid and pulled nice.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dWyQEbYCPeqMLHZGe5tbI31PNd0jDoNV0l3CMLad0y4Hy32lENzRx0IiIPd9ptPO