1 2 3
NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
11/19/15 6:21 p.m.
badfrogg wrote: Hey NOHOME, I was tired of squinting to see your avatar so I used my supreme hacker skills (google search) to find the source. Found the source and a whole lot more... http://theflyingxs.blogspot.com/2012/11/look-prettyplay-dirty.html Yep. I derailed my own thread but i think it was for a good cause. The Miata is still driving and the z is still waiting. I discovered that the holiday season is not a good time for build projects. Hopefully i will be done with the bike build by the first of the year and can start this project proper.

I think she needs to lean out the mix, but I ain't saying nothin

YoloRX7
YoloRX7 New Reader
11/21/15 3:06 p.m.

You have definitely sparked my interest. This will be an interesting build for sure. I wouldn't make a race out of the build. I'd rather get the engineering right the first time around. I am looking forward to you breaking ground on the build. Have fun.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
4/11/17 1:38 p.m.

Guys, Im Back!

Some life turmoil had put all projects on hold for the last year. stuff happens ya know. Anyhow the Z is still with us but the Miata went buy-buy. The Miata was in such good mechanical shape that I ended up just driving it daily. It really was a good car to me and help me get trough my troubles (by not braking down). In the end I sold her for the exact same price that I paid and that was necessary to get me back to zero.

Now that wounds are healing and life is settling I will be re-contemplating the future of the Z. I still feel in my heart that that it is to be a body/chassis swap. A different chassis donor just so happen to be sitting in the garage but...

I will not yet say what it is! Maybe while I think about it you guys to do some guessing?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
4/11/17 1:43 p.m.

SC300 would be cool. Keep it straight-six. Or SC400 for V8 goodness.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
4/11/17 2:22 p.m.

Anyone with a wheelstanding Corvair van avatar is OK by me!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/11/17 8:19 p.m.

Arrrrgggggg!

First the Fiat Miata goes dead and now this one fades away.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
4/20/17 8:38 p.m.

Dont be sad NOHOME. There are lots of Miatas left and mine went on to live anther day. The current potential donor car is far more interesting and powerful.

A SC300 is a good guess and I thought of that but, no its not a SC300, 400 or 430. I do love Toyota L6s and V8s though.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/20/17 10:02 p.m.

240sx with either a sr20, rb2*, or the traditional American Small block of oval or tie

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/21/17 6:08 a.m.
badfrogg wrote: Dont be sad NOHOME. There are lots of Miatas left and mine went on to live anther day. The current potential donor car is far more interesting and powerful. A SC300 is a good guess and I thought of that but, no its not a SC300, 400 or 430. I do love Toyota L6s and V8s though.
badfrog said: My build has a 2 month, first cut to first drive goal. I cant get sucked into the rabbit whole that you did. Tell you what I will race you to the finish line, a driving car. doesn't have to be anything else though.

This suddenly looks like the turtle might gain on you!

I have a bet with the car owner (wife unit) that the car will drive out of the shop under its own power no later than the last day of spring 2017.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
4/21/17 6:56 a.m.

Ha! I read this from the start and didn't realize the dates, then saw NOHOME chime in. Almost drive time..... For the tortoise. Meanwhile the hare red lighted.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
4/21/17 8:46 p.m.

Yes, However did say "first cut to first drive". I haven't made that first cut yet. The hare has been on detour for the last year. I wish I could report that it was an enjoyable life diversion but no, psycho bunny was going through some hard times.

So, before the fist day of summer. That is exactly two months. I will get the saws-all out tomorrow then.

Now for the donor car mystery. It is OBDII and not american made.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
4/22/17 1:25 p.m.

Some flavor of BMW?

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
4/23/17 9:56 p.m.

It is a Japanese car.

This is a cursed build concept. I see evidence on the web of people trying this build. I never see those build go beyond the proof of concept phase. Unlike the Miata that is so very close to the same dimensions. This build idea has a few big challenges.

I am not going to promise anything just yet, Not until I have figured out how to fit the square pegs in round holes.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/24/17 5:52 a.m.

Looking forward to hearing what the mystery chassis is going to be. Skyline would be a fun trick. Failing that (cause rare) maybe something off the rotary menu might work.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
4/24/17 7:46 a.m.

For the longest time I've dreamed of a AWD Skyline under a 1967 Mustang Fastback!

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
4/24/17 8:29 a.m.

Wasn't that from Tokyo Drift?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/24/17 8:55 a.m.

Ive had similar dreams about AWD RB goodness under a Lioncoln LS

And, there is a tuning shop in Az called Full Race who has a ready to go swap kit to fit the entire RB26DETT/ATESSA AWD driveline and suspension from an R34 Skyline under a S14 240sx...so an earlier Z car may not be all that crazy... Full Race R14 Swap Kit

Nissan Forums Build Thread

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/24/17 9:34 a.m.
badfrogg wrote: For the longest time I've dreamed of a AWD Skyline under a 1967 Mustang Fastback!

It looks like am about to commit to installing one of these under a needy 1967 fastback. So, if you have any numbers you need or want to confirm, let me know.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
4/25/17 9:01 a.m.

You have a 67 Fastback?! I'm jealous.

No all I have is my Z and a couple of Subaru daily drivers. Oh and of course the mystery donor car... I will make a final decision this weekend and then regardless I will reveal what my plan is or was. Or if someone guesses the car before then.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/25/17 11:04 a.m.
badfrogg wrote: You have a 67 Fastback?! I'm jealous. No all I have is my Z and a couple of Subaru daily drivers. Oh and of course the mystery donor car... I will make a final decision this weekend and then regardless I will reveal what my plan is or was. Or if someone guesses the car before then.

Not me, not a mustang guy at all; unless you can figure how to put a suspension under one. Not sold on any of the aftermarket bolt-on solutions.

I do enjoy the odd metalwork challenge and I am agnostic in the matter. The car in question is a "GT Fastback" (whatever that means to anyone in the Mustang world) so the owner thinks it is worth spending the effort on.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/25/17 11:25 a.m.

Im thinking s2000 chassis and driveline.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
4/25/17 1:56 p.m.

An s2000 would be way better then what have to work with. So let's tally it up thus far;

It is a Japanese car with OBDII.

Not an SC300-430.

Not a 240sx.

Not a GTR (yeah I wish I had GTRs just lying around waiting to be chopped!)

Not an s2000.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/25/17 2:31 p.m.

How close are the track and wheel-bases? Best match I can find is the S2000 and they do get cheap if they get bumped, but you don't care.

As to the GTR, could you not get one that has been cut in half over in Japan and knit the pieces back together under the 240Z as some kind of floor-pan repair panel?

How about this for staying out of the box?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
4/25/17 2:42 p.m.

Lexus LS400

Infiniti Q45

Nissan 350Z / Infiniti G35

Lexus IS

Toyota Supra

RX7

mck1117
mck1117 New Reader
4/25/17 2:55 p.m.
maschinenbau wrote: Or SC400 for V8 goodness.

No no no no no no more Miatas need 1UZs in them. That approaches mazdeuce-levels of self-hatred due to ill-fitting DOHC V8s.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VNP1vDislzzXsqGByQaGBCA72YcK2ams1FEVr02B1qQJW9ElCQP8zJNSCCZR498M