2 3 4
BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
10/1/19 1:39 p.m.

Well, this Saturday is the big show. We are borrowing a van from the wife's step dad so we can drive to New York. She is one of about 30 people in the regional championship.

I've fixed a few things, like the battery upgrade. Speed holes added to the bracket for lightness.

And this morning I spent several hours finishing up the storage/ transport box.

I had some extra wood paneling hanging around that was originally going to go in the garage's water closet but, oh well. 

The door needed proper structure of course.

Oh yeah, and we got her in costume for a full run down on Sunday.

We found out that some of the padding was way too hot and the gloves were just too unwieldy. She hucked them out and made more streamlined version.

Other than that, looked pretty good.

Apparently, you can watch the contest and other parts of the NYCC via live stream if you are interested in all things nerdy.

https://www.syfy.com/nycc

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
10/1/19 8:01 p.m.

I think you could repurpose that storage/transport box into a garage water-closet.  Looks like you're 90% of the way there.

Costume looks great!

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/2/19 1:51 p.m.
BirgerBuilder said:

That's awesome!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/7/19 8:38 a.m.

Congrats to her on the 1st place win!

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
10/7/19 2:10 p.m.

Thank you!

She worked hard on it, and was super sick/ anxious/ miserable all day.

Here are some shots from the Con. This is after the pre-judging, and the only time she wore it, not onstage.

backstage before the show, one of the few times I got her to smile, she was so frickin nervous all day.

Back stage, waiting to go on.

And here is the video that SYFY shot of the contest.

She first appears at 5:30, the first round of winners appears at 1:01:30

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/7/19 5:25 p.m.

WOW!

My sincere congratulations to Plexi on her big win! Too bad about the victory music when they announced the winner. Ugh. What an incredible talent and effort from you both. I'm impressed. 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
10/7/19 8:05 p.m.

Nicely done.  I'm impressed with you and your wife's work on this.  So, does this mean that you're going to the national level event?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
10/7/19 11:47 p.m.

Hard work paid off! Congratulations to you both!

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
10/8/19 2:03 p.m.
JoeTR6 said:

Nicely done.  I'm impressed with you and your wife's work on this.  So, does this mean that you're going to the national level event?

No, she only took the category win, only the overall winners get prize money, (much to her dismay) and only the overall first place winner moves on, (Mario)

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
10/28/19 2:20 p.m.

Well, she's off again and working on the next one!

I am kind of between projects anyway so I spent my Sunday getting her next prop ready.

I don't want to give away what it will be yet, so let me know your guesses.

I'll be starting with some servos and a remote from a large RC car.

And combining them with a tube of foam, as well as a second one made out of heat formed ABS plastic.

I had to make some aluminum brackets to hold everything still.

And make a third tube, here's the easy way to shape it.

This one gets the 'big' servo. I had used these earlier to make an approx. 1/4 scale model of the car from wreck-it-Ralph. I have a picture, somewhere...

Anyway, here's the parts together! Except that GRM's video embed isn't working again...

Full Video here: https://youtu.be/RxplDYsauTA

Well? any guesses what we are making next?

Here's a big hint.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rwJS2DnAJO2KIFLgUXQwThalneaeTQwkwbTcJLo6dOtAlVW01CvWIJ8RfnHPR1gh