1 2 3
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/11/16 4:25 p.m.

Today I picked up what I hope to be my $2016 Challenge car.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ttm9timRPq0

Where it will be sitting awaiting modification.

Needs 4 race seats, nitrous, -interior, wider wheels, stiffer lower suspension, brakes, and a headlight bulb.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
3/11/16 5:28 p.m.

Good starting point here. I'll be watching with anticipation. Have fun.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/11/16 7:09 p.m.

Its BEAUTIFUL!

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
3/11/16 7:38 p.m.

Apparently the answer has changed...

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
3/11/16 10:59 p.m.

Sweet!

DatsunS130
DatsunS130 Reader
3/11/16 11:24 p.m.

YES!!!

Scottah
Scottah Dork
3/12/16 5:59 a.m.

What is it?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/12/16 7:20 a.m.
Scottah wrote: What is it?

This is the best reply yet. Get used to it. No one knows what it is.
"I'm pretty sure it's a Ford Taurus."

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
3/12/16 8:00 a.m.

Even the ads when they came out had lettering over a picture of granite.

"Infiniti, coming soon"

"You won't recognize it at all"

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/12/16 12:38 p.m.

This has the V8 that sounds stupid awesome when you cut the muffler's off right?

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
3/12/16 2:34 p.m.

Fun to autocross, just don't boil the power steering fluid...

Also, holy bouncy rear suspension!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/12/16 3:22 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

This is the sound of completely stock.
Both cats are still there and a muffler on each side is still there. All that is missing is the giant, single muffler that would be under the trunk area.

https://youtu.be/3L1fl3xFZpA

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/12/16 3:35 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Soooo.....that would be a yes!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/13/16 5:36 p.m.

very nice...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/21/16 10:48 a.m.

First parts arrived today. Transmission control unit and rear sway bar, there goes $95.80 out of my budget. Total spent $795.80.

I hope to test fit wheels this week and post pictures. Hopefully I have an option or two that will work without spacers or serious fender modification... but whatever needs done will be to fit the widest cheap wheels I can find. Probably bidding on another Q45 on copart that is a little nicer for one of my other ideas.

This car will probably just maintain the cats and run a straight pipe out the back so it may be a "bit" louder.

Looks like most 300zx suspension parts basically fit with little modification so now it is just locating new struts and picking up some springs to go with my eBay coilover sleeves probably will run 600f/500r stock was 146/120ish. So if you see any z32 300zx struts for sale Bilsteins or Koni's let me know, they would be nicer to have than the cheaper new shocks.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/22/16 9:57 p.m.

Since last year I ran 275's on all 4 corners my friends and I decided that it just wasn't wide enough. I have a lead on a set of 18x11 or 18x10.5 wheels, in theory 345/35-18 only have a +.8" overall diameter change and they will fit the wheels. Not sure what I'll do with the fenders but we will make sure to get them out of the way. Tomorrow morning I'm going to take pictures with all of my current supply of wheels to show approximately how they may stick out.

Also told my friend with a FRS that my Q45 has approximately the same power to weight ratio in stock form. In conclusion the Q45 is just as sporty as his FRS before it goes on a diet.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
3/23/16 6:23 a.m.

This needs more turbo.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/23/16 7:55 a.m.

I'm glad you got these parts; tcu and strut bar.

I got my rare strut tower bar. I'll get going on fab'ing you up a similar, functional version using this one as a template.

This build and the ghettocet are causing me to loose actual interest in starting a minivan build of my own.

Let's hear more about second Q45!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/23/16 8:52 a.m.

How do you find challenge priced 335/18's? Admittedly I swapped my last too sets of R6's for a six pack of beer for each set of 4, but they were 205/15's.

P.S. Seriously, I have no idea what it is? I was even surprsed when the rear wheels spun as you launched in the first vid.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/23/16 9:27 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: How do you find challenge priced 335/18's?

One of the caveats of the current Challenge rules is that for reasons of safety, all competitors are allowed 4 tires that do not have to be counted in budget.
There are no size, compound, price or insanity restrictions on these 4 tires.
The rims you do used and in this case 18" do have to be budgeted.

Adrian_Thompson wrote: P.S. Seriously, I have no idea what it is? I was even surprsed when the rear wheels spun as you launched in the first vid.

No one expect that this Ford Taurus looking sedan has a rwd, 300hp, V8 with VVT and a factory redline of 6800. An upgrade ECU will bring on the VVT sooner and take the redline all the way to 7,400 said to produce a peak of 340 hp.

You can also buy running examples for under $1k just about any day of the week. I have done it twice and Andy has done it now too. I suspect the second one he is considering is the same.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/23/16 9:49 a.m.

Copart Q45 This is another one that I am considering bidding on since it is my local copart and there are no dealer license restrictions in PA. This would just be to drive around/my full interior luxury challenge car build. 200 tread wear tires that fit in the wheel wells, stiff suspension and nitrous.

Back to the Q45 I purchased for $700. It was listed for a month on the DC craigslist for $1400 and I thought my offer of $700 was generous. The guy I purchased it from claims the engine was replaced 40k miles ago. He called me the night before I was to pick it up, he claimed the car was fast as a MF then proceeded to describe everything on the car using the term MF. Quite comical but not really helpful using the same description for everything. He told me the car was mint till he let his son drive the car in HS. His son was the one who took the time to meet me to sell me the car, high as a kite when I arrived and the car reeked of marijuana. One can of lysol later and the smell has dissipated.

In no way will I feel bad about destroying this Q45.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/23/16 9:49 a.m.
NordicSaab wrote: This needs more turbo.

Turbo as requested. It all I have laying around. Obviously not big enough for this motor.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/23/16 9:50 a.m.

So it's a G50 series Q45 with a 4.5L 280hp V8 correct? Wow, I'm not aware I've ever seen one. what is the tuning potential for the engine and what does it weigh. Almost seems a shame to strip the interior, can you keep it streetable. This could be an awesome 'Q' car in all senses

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/23/16 10:00 a.m.

On to wheel and tire fitment.

275 on a 9.5" wide wheel. Just put in place to see how far a 275 might stick out.

335 on a 18x13

17x9 and 17x10.5 these will actual bolt onto the car. Actually will probably use as many spare parts as I have laying around just to save money. I see I already have a 12" 350 lb spring that will be turned into 2 6" 700 lb springs from the Fiero.

10.5 wide

9" wide

What the wheels actually look like.

Remaining two fender flares from the LS400 build.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
3/23/16 10:44 a.m.

I haven't seen a Q45 this nice since they were new, I think. They just all disappeared beneath the waves and were gone.

This is going to be awesome.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FgzPtdgtXaXrctxDpsFLATwx2xUsVGNBPD8JSU6nDleidlFHBBx43VK7bUn9ayyJ