1 2 3
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/25/17 4:45 p.m.

Three basic ideas for my 2018 build. 

1. Buy a LT1 car, corvette/camaro/bird. Strip it, nitrous, lower, succeed. The boring option

2. Continue the Q"ute"45. Turn it into the Q45 all sport, autocross, drag, and rallycross(third stage would be for concourse only). Lose weight, cut rear off, add cage, make it look like a baja truck of some sorts.  I missed out on the top ten without a water pump or power steering this year. 

3. Enter the wagon class with my $500 E320. 

Option 1 - MerShady-Benz - LS swap and leave it looking beat up, stiffer springs, sticky tires on stock wheels, full interior, nitrous. 

Option 2 - LS swap, widebody, maximum weight loss, basically jump off the deep end. 

Picture of said wagon. Yes, I'm trying to buy a van for the engine. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/25/17 5:57 p.m.

Do you have the time and resources for the deep end? We barely made it for our team 

bluej
bluej UltraDork
10/25/17 6:07 p.m.

That Merc wagon is begging for a star wars dark side theme. "Lord Vader, your transport awaits..."

Homework
Homework New Reader
10/25/17 6:08 p.m.

I vote for the MerShady-Benz.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/25/17 6:11 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Do you have the time and resources for the deep end? We barely made it for our team 

I’ll have more time. Currently it looks like I’ll have a few nights a week where I better stay after work to work on it. My wife is taking grad classes right now and I’m a major distraction at home. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
10/25/17 6:20 p.m.

I vote for option #2 with the addition of a big frelling wing on the back connected up to the roll bar

I like option #3... but share dusterbd13's concern about doggy-paddling into the deep end.  I think shaving the roof rails, and some modest/tasteful interior shaving with sticky rubber, and NOS could be interesting... especially with shaved badges, 5x120 swap spacers on c4 vette wheels painted black?  uberSchwarz

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/25/17 6:24 p.m.

If i had realized how deep the deep end of the pool was, i never would have tried to swim. Not with a family and a career.  I did it, but the stress was monumental. 

Don't be me.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/25/17 6:27 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

#2 is more of an Exocet with a cab styling and could use a giant wing. I do like #2 a lot but I’ve never brought a car twice.  

#3 isn’t going to be easy but the car won’t run without serious $$$ Mercedes parts. That is more of the reasoning for the swap idea. I really want a CTS-V wagon and this option kind of gets me something similar. 

I feel no stress trying it, failing and coming up with something last minute is always a possibility. I’ve done it before. If I don’t attempt things over the top I’ll never learn new things. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/25/17 6:34 p.m.

Good approach!

I can't NOT get stressed about some things. So, good luck!

I have black and chrome c5 z06 wheels...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/25/17 7:06 p.m.

The real issue would be finishing two cars and having to find a way to get both of them to Florida. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/25/17 7:06 p.m.
bluej said:

That Merc wagon is begging for a star wars dark side theme. "Lord Vader, your transport awaits..."

ShawneeCreek is supposed to bring back the stormtrooper van next year too, so you guys could team up as The Empire Strikes Back.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/25/17 7:12 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
bluej said:

ShawneeCreek is supposed to bring back the stormtrooper van next year too, so you guys could team up as The Empire Strikes Back.

But only if he can get gas in it.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
10/25/17 9:12 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

The real issue would be finishing two cars and having to find a way to get both of them to Florida. 

I'd have to assume that an LS-powered E320 wagon would be able to flat tow a chopped up Q45?

then I just thought about the fact that your using a wagon to tow a "truck" and had a chuckle to myself

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
10/25/17 9:27 p.m.

or swap the low mileage bits from the $500 into this one (assuming you can buy for $1000)...
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/1999-mercedes-benz-e320-wagon/6344266969.html

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
10/26/17 8:12 a.m.

I'm voting for improving the Q45.  But this year get the modifications done early and spend the rest of the year testing (dialing it in).  Removing the weight off the back will require firmer springs up front and softer in the back.  We used a lot of spring rubbers.... you'd be shocked by how many.  And yes, add the rear wing as previously suggested.   

Looking at this years results I'd say you could probably shave a hair off your drag time, and lop 4 seconds off your autocross time with some sorting.... and a fan belt.  :)

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/26/17 8:37 a.m.

In reply to spin_out :

I’d be quite disappointed only dropping 4 seconds in autocross. I should have power steering and a water pump again early next week.

Can I trade my eBay springs for other springs for free? 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
10/26/17 9:42 a.m.

Paul once told me to buy a long spring at half the rating you want. Cut it in half and you now have two springs at the rating you want. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/26/17 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

True, even better we have a local dirt track store that sells used springs for $10-20. They are even tested for the spring rate. 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
10/26/17 9:47 a.m.

That makes me wanna road trip just to see that store. 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
10/26/17 11:07 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:
Pete Gossett said:
bluej said:

But only if he can get gas in it.

True, I hope to bring it back. But new paint scheme/theme this time. Based on a suggestion at the Challenge this year I'm envisioning a Chevrolet version of the Ford Supervan/Renault Espace F1 with some "Heartbeat of America" era branding and colors. And getting gas in the tank. And...

On topic, I'd choose option 3 with a twist. Do the LS swap and related drivetrain upgrades, but leave the body and interior alone. Fit the stickiest rubber you can within the fenders. As dusterbd13 found out this year, there is such a thing as too much tire for an autocross. I don't think those slicks under the Spirit ever got much warmer than ambient temperature. Getting something sticky and narrow might be the trick.

That way, when you have finished competing in 2018 you a have a car that is still able to be driven on the street. Much more valuable to sell to others (or to keep). Where as the Qute45, and my APV GTP minivan, are completely unusable on the streets and on most tracks. Other than scrap value for the chassis all I can really hope for the van's end is that somebody with a Fiero wants the engine and transmission to swap in their car.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/26/17 11:30 a.m.

The pulley and belt arrived for the Q45 that I could really have used a week ago at this time. 

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
10/26/17 12:23 p.m.

How different are the engines in the E wagon and C32 AMG C class they built in the early 2000s? Those had a supercharger..

I would vote for option 2 or 3.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/26/17 12:45 p.m.

I got an LY6 that I would sell cheaper than that van...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/26/17 1:34 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

But I can get a running 6.0 van for $1k and that has a transmission I can use.  

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/26/17 3:47 p.m.

The trunk intake manifold is undoubtedly to tall to fit under the hood as is the accessories.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zDaEmcBhByX71BGnfSwSEOdUv7xmnc379LIhZ2YD6OCDi6B1cZnc73aGMMzqHn3T