Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/17/21 8:02 a.m.

That and I have a stripped nut on the shock tower. Going to drive around to get the bushings but a "simple" 4 bolt suspension change has turned into a long project. I wish the thumbs down button was just a way to say dislike. 

Thinking about flying to Florida and buying the red crx Wednesday and taking it to get a tune. My wife said, "Whatever you have to do"

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
10/17/21 8:06 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Just stick with it, you got this. Make sure to find a new bolt for the bushing. It's M12 but you might be able to drill out for 1/2 if that's all you can find.

Worst case forget the bushing and slap a bolt through there and fill with Window Weld.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/17/21 8:43 a.m.

When the guy at the parts counter says you don't want to drive the whole way to this store to get the second bushing... I'm like that's where I'm going next. They better actually have the one they say they do. 

Thank goodness we put a number pad on the one garage door at work a few years back. Locked myself out and locked my self inside the gate. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/17/21 1:58 p.m.

I should have a good amount of time tomorrow and Tuesday to work on it before I pack up to leave. 

I'll make a post about what I'll need help with in the parking lot Thursday once I have the car loaded ready to go. 

The CRX was tempting but I don't really want another Fiero situation at 2am in the parking lot ready to buy a third car on Craigslist. 

Somehow I can't find a wheel spacer email for the prices in my 1000s of ebay emails. I blame my grandfather for clogging my ebay purchases with coins.  I'm sure I'll put enough fmv on my sheet to annoy Robbie. It's a rule and I'm going to use it. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/18/21 9:19 a.m.

Finished the drivers side suspension. Cut the bushing then pried it in and it slid right out. Used the bolt and a 1 1/8 socket to hammer the new one into place. Not the best method but it's in. 

Started on the passenger side, then got distracted by my actual job (Not something I want to deal with this week.) going to take me a while. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/21 10:09 a.m.

Wonder what the fair market value of me being annoyed is?cheeky

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/18/21 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Nobody really looks at the budget close so probably $100 worth of recoup. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/18/21 12:12 p.m.

Jeep wheels and 245s don't clear stock body work. Rears would fit with a good roll but the sidewall deflection might still catch it. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/18/21 12:45 p.m.

Box flares are your only answer.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/21 12:49 p.m.

Sawzall.  It's a E36 M3box

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/18/21 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

The interior is actually quite nice, below the door line its not that nice. Wrapped up my build book without actually finishing my "build."

I realized I don't have an SFI race jacket for the nitrous faster than 13.99, in the Q45 I violated that rule, should I order one to send to the hotel. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/18/21 1:24 p.m.

I believe I have one I can bring if you want to borrow it. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/18/21 3:17 p.m.

Flares in 30 by Andy, probably sketchier than the actual car. 

also if anyone has any ideas I'm looking for a race car theme to pull off in the parking lot

10/18/21 4:05 p.m.

Spray paint graffiti? Anyone got that talent?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/21 6:18 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

Oh collectively we all do. Just park it next to Stampie's bar & let the fun begin!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/18/21 8:34 p.m.

This would be pretty hard to pull off in the parking lot but I could be talked into it. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/19/21 11:03 a.m.

Final version before loading up. Hopefully I can get it on the trailer with it this low.

Items to accomplish in the parking lot

1. Fabricate a Grille

2. Hook up the nitrous selenoids

3. create a race car theme 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/19/21 11:39 a.m.

This site sells this side graphic for $180.

My goal is with cheaper vinyl, create a similar look.  

I like something bold like the Magenta.  Get 1ft x 5ft pieces for $11.  Maybe order 5 rolls and just budget what you actually use.  Start at the front wheel with the whole 1 ft wide, then skip a foot and add another 1 ft wide, skip a foot and add another 1 ft wide.   Do not try to wrap up and over the trunk or it will expose that the two sides might not line up perfectly to each other.  Otherwise, no one will see both sides of the car at the same time anyway. 

Firstly, set the angle line with knifeless tape.  You put the tape down first and then lay the magenta vinyl over the tape.  When done, you pull the tape and cut a smooth angle line.  

Order all today and ship right to the hotel.  

If there is spare Magenta then wrap the mirrors too.  Or, put a 1 ft wide stripe down the hood and or roof.  

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/19/21 11:41 a.m.

i have a huge roll of orange vinyl still. its what i used to make my camo peices. i dont mind supplying a good bit for free.99 considering i got them free myself. but not all of it as i have future plans lol

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/19/21 11:48 a.m.

My plan for the green Q45 that never came to The Challenge was going to be to hide some of the bad clearcoat with random shape vinyl.  I would have left the good green showing and hid the worst under vinyl.  

My inspirations:  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
10/19/21 12:03 p.m.

Did a 1" spacer work out for you?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/19/21 12:31 p.m.

Cheap-ish stuff on Amazon...  

$30 will get you this blue.  I'd probably get 2 sets which would then allow for some at the front wheels (flooding over to hood area) too, if you can swing the $60 budget hit.  

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/19/21 1:34 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Did a 1" spacer work out for you?

Yes, only issue is I had to swap wheels to tie it down to the trailer. Have to use the wheels because there isn't anything solid on the car. The wheels I "sold." 

10/19/21 1:52 p.m.

I'm liking the random vinyl ideas. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/19/21 2:06 p.m.

infiniti wheels(formally known as Jeep wheels) 

the random vinyl idea is great. If you have random vinyl that you don't plan on using bring it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N5SL0LpsvoQTR2P6FkdexXBp9gHWhCR7lkIpRZI8HCuC5zrPQ6nLkTpVARTOZ1PR