5 6 7
SuperTouring
SuperTouring New Reader
4/18/18 3:14 p.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

Subscribed/Eyeball'd

I know that MotoIQ ran stock brakes, and I like that idea.  Chris on the other hand (the one that races the G20 in the states) said they had an absolute miserable time with Hawk Blues on stock brakes. 

And I'm not sure that either of them will really apply to my race car because my car will see 7-8 hour enduros (unlike motoiq), and I can run brake ducts (unlike Chris).  

I think it's going to have to be one of those things where I have to figure it out on my own.  I may only see one race a year with this car for a while, and that race is in October in Oregon.  That's about a 900% chance of rain.  I'm actually counting on it so my car will be more competitive.  If it is raining, brakes should last longer, and ABS should be an advantage. 

Perhaps the horrible brake bias could be solved with some larger rear brakes, which could also help stock front brakes last longer.

B13Birk
B13Birk Reader
6/28/18 9:48 a.m.

Its been a while Since I last posted. I have been on the slow and miserable road of sourcing parts on a budget or for free. I have also been able to move a lot of the last big ticket items off of the parts car I bought. It's funny, I bought that car with the plan to take everything off of it and use it for my build. However with time come research and better deals etc. etc. I will have in fact only used a few minor parts off of that car and instead just sold everything off of it to fund this car. 

Since my last post I was able to seel the D2 coilovers for $550 and the Engine out of the car for $550 as well. I sold the rest of the interior bits for $75. The doors and trunk are still for sale as are some other motors and switches so we will see what that nets. 

Since then I have purchased a Used set of Custom Built track spec-Fortune Auto coilovers for the G20 (this is a game changer) $1000, a slim fan for $10, some used silicone radiator hoses (the top side one is off a bit and has a kink, once I install the water temp sensor block (free) it should solve that) The rest of the work I have done was all parts from the parts car or free junk i have sourced along the way. 

The Sr20 community is really incredible and has gotten behind this build and have been instrumental in helping me get to his point. We are getting really close. Im in the middle of moving but I know that here soon we should be driving this sucker down the road. 

Here are the pics: 

Does anyone else's project also act as storage for parts? This is a hot mes...

The header was rusted pretty good and I was VERY concerned about stripping the nuts while trying to remove it. Copious amounts of PB Blaster and this WD40 rust penetrated stuff did the trick. No issues at all. 

Bam! Performance! ($60 Header... This is not some ebay crap so that is awesome) I added some very nice copper gaskets that i bought way back when this project started for $30 from a dude cleaning out his garage! 

The radiator that was in the parts car is a decent aluminum setup. MUCH MUCH better than the crappy plastic ones that came in these cars from the factory. some have said its for a 240sx so I had to make my own mounts for it.... I have never fabbed anything in my life. So even these little aluminum brackets was a big deal for me. They are just in place at the moment i need to find some rubber grommets at HD but I think it just may work!

All finished for the day! This week the coilovers should be delivered and ill get those installed as well as finish the brakes. I need to wire in the fan, get the water temp sensor in and due all the tune up items as well as fix an issue where the one of the whole for the crossmember is stripped but after that we will be driving down the road. Still tons to do to be ready for a track day but We should be GOLDEN by August or September. 

B13Birk
B13Birk Reader
6/28/18 10:10 a.m.

Also, ADMIN

Could The title of this post be changed to "Another Infiniti G20 Racecar on a Budget"

Thanks! 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
6/28/18 12:10 p.m.

Done

B13Birk
B13Birk Reader
6/28/18 2:31 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Thanks man!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/28/18 3:43 p.m.

I can tell you're from the South because you said the exhaust manifold was "really rusty" and it looks like it rolled off the factory floor like a month ago. laugh

Nice work on those brackets - fabricating stuff isn't easy when you're new to it, but trying is how we learn. Strong work. If you lived closer to me, I'd invite you over for fabrication practice.

B13Birk
B13Birk Reader
6/28/18 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

LOL DING DING! Florida. I hate rust. Im terrified of it. Thanks for the kind words on the fab stuff and for sure I would have gladly taken you up on it if you were close. I know I have a lot of stuff to learn but this project has been really teaching me a lot each step of the way. 

Jonathan Birkmire
Jonathan Birkmire Reader
9/5/18 12:28 p.m.

This car will be coming for sale here soon. Let me know if you are interested. 

I

B13Birk
B13Birk Reader
12/22/18 9:32 a.m.

Sold

daship
daship
10/31/22 11:55 a.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

I think DA Shipping Auto Transport gives instant free quote than American Auto Shipping

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ArXcw2gnlZlDTpi97qN2bLLhM05PK0KGTy5Vo0VNRImmCCzJ7iiJ1R91OfqsoUb