captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/16/20 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

Sounds like I'll see you out there for Mid Div TT next year. I think I'll be running in PB if my dyno numbers are where I need them. 

KentF (Forum Supporter)
KentF (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/12/20 5:55 p.m.

I am assuming you are liking the TruTrak. Yes?

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/13/20 12:28 a.m.

In reply to KentF (Forum Supporter) :

I honestly can't say one way or the other.  I only drove the car home from the shop (about 4 miles) and it's been parked since.  I need to pull the heads off and replace the bad lifter before it goes anywhere.  In the meantime I picked up the S197 and just plan to drive it next year.

thedoc
thedoc Reader
9/13/20 5:54 p.m.

Holy Cow!  I just read through this whole thread.  Your skills and perseverance are to be commended.  I cannot believe your level of skill and how you documented this build.  I don't know what I feel worse about after reading this, my lack of skill, or how bad I am at documenting anything I do on the cars.

I am now going to find your thread on vinyl wrapping!  Thanks so much for putting this all together.  Just incredible.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/13/20 6:58 p.m.

In reply to thedoc :

Thank you very much for the kind words.  You could also check out my other build that might be more relevant to you, now with video!

S197 V6 Mustang, Budget Track Build

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
11/2/20 6:07 p.m.

The plan is to get back on this car after the Holidays. I got my order in today for the new cam with Bobby at Cam Motion. He was great to work with and asked lots of questions about my setup and what I wanted before he made a recommendation. I was told turnaround time would be about 4 weeks. Specs are 222/232 @ .050, .595/.595 lift on 112.5+2 LSA.

Parts — BEP Performance Racing Engines

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/15/20 10:13 a.m.

Not much going on lately but my new cam from Cam Motion did get here. I still need to pick up quite a few things; lifters, gaskets, oil pan baffle, etc The plan is wait until I have everything I need and then pull the motor to do a partial tear down to inspect everything and install the new cam/lifters and oil pan baffle. I don't want to tear it down until I have all the new parts because it's still drivable if it needs to be.

That new Tremec TKX looks really appealing too. I already wasn't planning on running this car next year so I might try to get my hands on one of those too and put an end to my trans issues.

Error404
Error404 Reader
12/15/20 8:28 p.m.

I'm very curious to see what you have to say about the TKX. A brand spankin' new trans is not really in the budget there's always wiggle room somewhere for something nifty. And I'd be lying if I said that gear ratios weren't a gnat in my ear for sometime a couple years from now when they're the thing holding me back rather than my own workmanship and driving. What are you hoping to achieve with the new cam? I'm not fluent in cam-speak with regard to duration and angle so details are gonna be lost.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/15/20 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Error404 :

The new cam has less lift and less duration than the old cam.  This should lower the powerband a few hundred RPM and potentially make it wider.  This will also kill some peak power to help me make the Time Trials class I'm targeting.  Right now I'd be in unlimited, I don't want that.  The lower lift will also take a little stress off the valvetrain.  The old cam was spec'd for a different motor, I just used it because I already had it.  The new cam is spec'd exactly for what I have now.

KSScotton
KSScotton New Reader
12/18/20 9:27 a.m.

but.... We could run unlimited together! :-)

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/18/20 9:29 a.m.

In reply to KSScotton :

I'll be driving the S197 this year.  I think it will make Production A.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
12/18/20 9:38 a.m.

Are you going to dyno for overall season trophy contention or just run the SAE Hp classing for weekend trophy only?

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/18/20 10:57 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

SAE in the S197

Dyno in the SN95

The S197 is just for practice/fun and to get a feel for how the events run.  I plan to be competitive in the SN95 and am building it to be, I don't expect to run it in 2021 though.  Still need to finish the engine upgrades, roll cage, and possibly transmission upgrade.

I doubt I'll make events other than Topeka and Hallett though.  So neither would be in contention for season points I guess.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
12/18/20 10:59 a.m.

How far is Gateway from you? Track looks short, but would be fun to check out.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/18/20 3:24 p.m.

4 1/2 hours from Gateway.

2 hours from Topeka

3 1/2 hours from Hallet

2 hours from Ozarks when it's done.

I'm in Butler, MO

KSScotton
KSScotton New Reader
12/18/20 8:33 p.m.

don't forget about RPM just south of Omaha..

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/18/20 9:55 p.m.

In reply to KSScotton :

Didn't it flood and close down?

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
12/18/20 9:58 p.m.

wow, your work is beautiful! even your "lesser quality" work is better then our top quality. i thought i had seen nice welds and then i found this thread... can't wait to see the next updates!

KSScotton
KSScotton New Reader
12/21/20 10:02 a.m.

it did get flooded but it is back up and running.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/21/20 4:01 p.m.
Dieselboss15 said:

wow, your work is beautiful! even your "lesser quality" work is better then our top quality. i thought i had seen nice welds and then i found this thread... can't wait to see the next updates!

Thank you. I need to grab a tubing bending so I can put in some work on the roll cage.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
12/22/20 4:42 p.m.

FYI on the Mid Div 2021 schedule. Hallett is out for 2021 and RPM won't be possible ever unless they do some track rearranging for safety I guess. Figured you might want a heads up on that.

We'll have an approved schedule out in January. There will be at least 4 weekends, 2 at both Heartland and Worldwide Technology Raceway. Events in May, June, July and August.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/22/20 6:25 p.m.

What/Where is Worldwide Technology Raceway?

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
12/22/20 9:39 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero : Formerly Gateway in St Louis 

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
4/1/21 4:03 p.m.

No April fools, we have incoming.  devil

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
4/8/21 3:08 p.m.

The goods showed up from Bowler today! This is the new TKX with the close ratio 2.87 first gear and .68 5th gear. With my current 295/35's I'll be at 76mph in 2nd gear or if I switch to 315/30's it will put me at 74.9mph. Both should be great for autocross or the track. The bellhousing and Tilton throwout bearing also came in earlier this week.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
89uB0CnGbAwJP6uYdsxkHojbvydE7xy3l7vgjIl1fpBa5Xml5ZsMB3UQ8PTzs93R