4 5 6 7 8
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/24/20 4:21 p.m.

I like the look so far.  I have 185 federal 595 tires to go on them. ( Not the super sporty ones unfortunately, those don't come in 13s)

Hubs and spindles cleaned and prepped for what's to come. These were takeoffs from a junk car. All different from drum to disc.

Pretty much replacing the front corners to do the disc brake swap. The hubs get bigger studs (3/8-24 to 7/16-20)  going with ebc greenstuff pads. Need to get rebuilt shocks yet. (Old ones dead and I sheared off a bolt in one) 400lb-in springs and  3/4 inch sway round it out.

In back I have to replace early drums with later (have a later axle to steal parts from) and just putting new drums, shoes, and cylinders on. Have lowering wedges coming and a panhard rod to even it out. Also replacing the radius arms with fresh factory units as the bushings are dead.

Considering I haven't even tagged it, overkill... But my wife said it would make her seasick the way it was.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/24/20 4:23 p.m.

Legends cars here run on federal 595 super steel on 13s. They honk pretty good, so id say you could do FAR worse than them. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/24/20 4:27 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Exactly! It was those or over $200 a tire for Toyo r888 and that's not where I really want to be on this 

Goal is a slow car to drive fast on the street without necessarily breaking the law.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/24/20 4:30 p.m.

Almost forgot. Fronts getting changed to taper bearings (oe was ball bearings) and I have a double bearing kit for the rear that came with the car.

TR7
TR7 Reader
3/25/20 10:03 a.m.

We ran 14" 595s on our lemons car. They were surprisingly not bad and lasted 4 race days! 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/28/20 6:50 p.m.

Double bearing hub kit for the rear that came with the car. Drilling out for the bigger studs.

Parts are still inbound.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
3/28/20 8:35 p.m.

I daily drive the SS595 at ~14lbs/whp and they've been great. I'm on a slightly larger size but I've been really happy. Good traction in the dry, not terribly noisey and good wet traction to a point.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/28/20 10:58 p.m.

Will you be able to get the parking brake linkage behind the double bearing hubs? The ones I installed (several decades ago) on my customer's Ginetta G4 would not permit it.

Edit, your car is probably early enough to have sliding wheel cylinders, and no clearance issue.

dougie
dougie Reader
3/28/20 11:42 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Sounds like you got the wrong friends, or your Thursday nights start with too many Stella's before the work begins. Save the beers for after the work is completed. Twenty-five plus years with big Healeys, I know they're not easy to rebuilt, get right, or drive fast. When you're able to do all three it's a great occasion.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
3/29/20 12:05 a.m.

I have Federal 595SS in a 185/60R13 on my Lethal Locost.  They are a brilliantly fun tire.  I paid $310US for all four off ebay last February.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
3/29/20 12:36 p.m.

This is amping up nicely. Great choice of wheels.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/31/20 5:25 p.m.

Just a few upgrades... 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/31/20 5:28 p.m.

When I joked with dherr about caked on petrified grease, I wasn't joking. Scraping a few pounds off the car.

If I get things installed before the stay at home order is lifted, I might attempt tire installation...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/1/20 2:41 p.m.
dherr
dherr Dork
4/1/20 3:33 p.m.

Baked on British car grease is definitely not a joke. British cars leak oil as a "self preservation" process that was designed into the cars since they rust so well. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/1/20 3:50 p.m.
dherr said:

Baked on British car grease is definitely not a joke. British cars leak oil as a "self preservation" process that was designed into the cars since they rust so well. 

The SUSPENSION even leaks oil!  (and its not hydraulic)

After that video, I have kinda decided to dedicate myself to shop cleaning and organization for a little while.  Spending a little too long looking for tools in the heap.  I gotta get better about cleaning as I go, I had this place clean a year ago.

dherr
dherr Dork
4/1/20 4:04 p.m.

I hear you, had to reorganize at the end of the day last week as the side of the garage with the car was fine, but the side with all the parts, tools and engine pieces was all a big mess. Still need to reorganize all my tools but it is looking better. Frustrating when you can't find your tools when you need them!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/2/20 6:47 p.m.

I managed to get one side of the rear together. Double bearing hub with parking brake still functional. I haven't even pulled the other side apart, I intend to document that when I do it. This side took a lot of time to figure out.

Worked on cleaning up the new wheel. I like it a lot. Not pictured, but I am working on the seat bottom to drop me lower into the car so I'm not looking over the top of the windshield.

Hopefully the company I am working with on rebuilt lever shocks gets back to me soon. That's going to be the biggest holdup.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/3/20 7:20 p.m.

Can't wait to see this driving soon. Love me a bug eyed sprite! Apple Hydraulics doing your shocks?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/3/20 10:11 p.m.

Been working with nosimport/worldwide auto parts and am stuck in a bit of a holding pattern. Aparrently they are backed up.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/7/20 3:53 p.m.

Just found out my shocks shipped today!

Revalved and race prepped!

Additionally, because it's too cute to not share.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/20 7:17 p.m.

That car is about the right size for him.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/12/20 3:01 p.m.

Will have a video on the double bearing hubs soon, but the lever shocks arrived today and one side is a roller again (if I had tires mounted)

To do list

• Other front shock
  • Rear shocks
  • Install new brake/clutch master and bleed
  • Get tires mounted
  • Install alternator/generator and button up wiring (charging system no worky)
  • Battery hold down
  • Reroute fuel line
  • Insurance/tags

There are always more things, but that's the road list.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/12/20 5:51 p.m.

I'm so looking forward to seeing this come together.  Partly because I saw it sit for almost 10 years, and partly because I know you guys will enjoy driving around in it.

The wheels are cool.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/12/20 6:55 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I have a picture of my son at that age sitting in my TR4A, great photo, keep it forever!

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5W2PpMLKsjbL1whPX16e6LCmAJHJL00jtyRJWMU2ww6R2b6OMTol2giplis06Z31