stroker
stroker UberDork
1/4/21 11:32 a.m.

This guy is obviously smoking crack.  What would you offer him?

Marketplace - 1980 Porsche Porsche 718 Boxster | Facebook

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
1/4/21 11:39 a.m.

I would buy a complete car , maybe less motor and trans if you are going to use something else

$2000-$3000  plus shipping , 

learn the trouble spots , rust in the battery hole , rocker rust etc  and broken door handles....

at least out here there are still some that are not loved ....

Good Luck 

stroker
stroker UberDork
1/4/21 11:40 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Trying to make it Challenge-friendly...  He's about 100 miles from me.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/4/21 11:47 a.m.

Somehow I think this guy would not be willing to take what it is really worth. Especially if there is rust. If it starts bending like it is going to break in two you might want to charge him to haul it off. Plus it is out in the middle of nowhere. A long drive with a short trailer. 

If less than $600 and not enough rust to make it into two cars, I might start looking at Subaru engines and the outlaw website. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/4/21 12:02 p.m.

I recently paid $2,000 for a complete non-running 914 in Joplin. $5k for a husk? Nope.

Consider this titled one in Edmond, Ok. comes with a non-titled parts car. I'm moving slowly on my 914 projects, but love to have them around, cool cars.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/d/edmond-titled-porsche-914-project/7240238412.html

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
1/4/21 12:08 p.m.

...and if you do decide to buy the one (two) in Edmond, I could pick them up and move them across to the NE corner of Oklahoma for you and steal some parts as payment.

stroker
stroker UberDork
1/4/21 12:21 p.m.
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:

...and if you do decide to buy the one (two) in Edmond, I could pick them up and move them across to the NE corner of Oklahoma for you and steal some parts as payment.

I appreciate the offer but again, I'm trying to keep this within Challenge limitations...

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
1/4/21 12:24 p.m.

...and because it's a slow day at work so far: It looks like ***everything*** that can be pulled off and still leave a rolling shell is gone. The shell that is left is in need of serious repair.

If I really wanted it, I'd take a zero off the asking price (and still feel I was overspending). Maybe build it like Robbie did his Challenge Datsun.

preach
preach Reader
1/4/21 12:27 p.m.
stroker said:

I appreciate the offer but again, I'm trying to keep this within Challenge limitations...

That seller thinks he knows what he has...

preach
preach Reader
1/4/21 12:29 p.m.

...and because it's a slow day at work so far: It looks like ***everything*** that can be pulled off and still leave a rolling shell is gone. The shell that is left is in need of serious repair.

If I really wanted it, I'd take a zero off the asking price (and still feel I was overspending). Maybe build it like Robbie did his Challenge Datsun.

I am surprised it made it on the trailer.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/4/21 12:51 p.m.

The long is missing a couple of feet in front of the rear wheel.  That isn't worth $500.  

I have a rust free 914 project.  Vintage Porsche and challenge budget are pretty difficult.  Just the necessary metal replacement panels for that car will bust your challenge budget.  Rule of thumb for a 914 is the rust you can see is 25% of the rust in the car.  IF that car was a complete runner with  that amount of rust it might be saveable.  That's a giant hole you have to throw time and money at, that won't be recouped.  If you are an expert welder, have all the metal fab tools and equipment, a rotisserie and a lot of space to work and store parts, then have at it.  You won't be ready for this years challenge of probably next years, either.  Search YouTube for 914 rust repair to see what you are up against and how long it takes.  There are "restoration" threads on 914world that run for years.  Ask there.  They know exactly what required in terms of time, effort and money.

californiamilleghia
1/4/21 12:52 p.m.

is the shipping  cost of a car added to the  Challenge budget ?

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
1/4/21 12:57 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Car, no. Parts, yes.

californiamilleghia
1/4/21 1:24 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Car, no. Parts, yes.

Thanks .......we are looking at a bunch of stuff later in the week , I know there are a couple old VWs , but not sure if there are any unloved 914s

stroker
stroker UberDork
1/4/21 1:32 p.m.

Man, thanks for pointing that out.  Saved me a lot of dickin' around. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
1/4/21 1:34 p.m.

Dammit... Now I'm searching the region for project/parts cars again. stroker, This one is more car and only asking $400. Marketplace - 914 clean title parts car | Facebook

Yes, it's a little rough right now, but if the goal is 'Challenge Chassis' and not restoration it may be the best 914 find within 500 miles.

Saw/Drill Hammer & Dolly... fix it right up and fab in a V6.

stroker
stroker UberDork
1/4/21 2:03 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD (Forum Supporter) :

I think I like this one, better.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
1/4/21 2:14 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Nice, I didn't look that far east. Wear a mask and gloves. Maybe put a hungry cat in it for a few days before it goes in the shop.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/4/21 2:23 p.m.

I don't know if I'd offer him anything. 

Besides the shape of the car his price is pretty much twice what that car would be worth in 10 times better condition.

I wanted a 914 for awhile. I was gonna sbc swap it and I found a few donors but life got in the way

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/4/21 6:20 p.m.

Stroker, poke around 914World.com or the Samba classifieds.  Probably nothing less than $1000 but you get a feel.  Also 914Word board has a lot of info; they're pretty much all left coasters.

With my first 914 I went to Pelican Parts and bought newly stamped floor pans, came in 2 pieces for easy installation.  Also look at the bottom of the firewall (behind the seat) underneath on the engine side, suspension bolts to that area.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/4/21 7:07 p.m.

If you can dig up any old vw bugs cheap I might consider building a challenge car. Are there even any cheap bugs around anymore? I think the price on those actually might be higher than 914s now. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VHzSIQ9jVfcsmVRlqz67uLtmWkluHJFJh2cpy6zyLjZtLE1wt2cEvKBMPzoC1uRD