wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
6/26/22 10:03 a.m.

Perseverance in this thread. I like.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/26/22 11:13 a.m.

Haha!   Thanks all!

Cat needed a bath today before anything else so that just happened.  I'm pretty sure I know what the light contact is and the crashing over bumps I heard in the front of the car as well.  Both should be pretty quick fixes today.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/26/22 11:17 a.m.

Man I like this car.  Last night was warm and pretty still.  Top down, low speed through the gears enjoying a summer night in Michigan.  Could smell people grilling and the thick scent of summer flowers in spots for a fleeting couple of moments.  Low rumble of the V8 and some thumbs up from other cars made for a great quick drive.  Love convertibles on summer evenings.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/26/22 11:28 a.m.

I also scored a Ford OEM 3.50:1 ring and pinion for $40 delivered yesterday.  I'm on a mission to collect a full range of Ford 9 inch great sets for possible future needs.  With the limited miles driving the car so far I can't see the need for lower (higher numerical) gears yet.  Car pulls cleanly at low speed even in 5th (0.64:1) and 3.70:1 final with my 25" tall tires.  Shifting action is better than I'd been led to believe  at least at low RPM so far.  Aluminum flywheel driveability concerns based on internet wisdom and horror stories from the keyboard warriors aren't my experience at all.  I'm very pleased with it actually and would recommend it on a V8 if someone asks.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/26/22 11:31 a.m.

Outstanding!

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/26/22 12:10 p.m.

So it will be fullg shaken down for the dream cruise drag events?  Love it.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/26/22 12:32 p.m.
84FSP said:

So it will be fullg shaken down for the dream cruise drag events?  Love it.

Yes it will.  Column coming back out a bit to adjust steering wheel position then back on the lift for under car noise identification and eradication expedition.  Then off the lift for more miles then tweak some more.  Then teach myself how to align it then align it.  I'm working on a white board list of open points now.  I'll hang that in the garage.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/26/22 3:07 p.m.

Column out, twisted, and reinstalled.  Pulling and moving the steering wheel would have been the easy button but I wanted to align the steering shaft ujoints.  That job is done.  With the car on the ground I found the anti-sway bar end links were loose as I had installed them on the lift.  I tightened them quite a bit.  I slammed the hood and could rattle it while latched so I adjusted the 53 year old formerly rubber now concrete hood stops and the hood no longer rattles when latched.  
I did some cleaning-windows, the stainless steel windshield header, rear view mirror, got some of the pine tree resinous goo off the hood and deck lid though the car needs a good paint clean and polish, scrubbed the tires and wheels.  I need to do a hood vacuum after the test drive.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/26/22 5:20 p.m.

20 around town miles and she's getting better.  The noise I was hearing is the front ujoint hitting the exhaust on acceleration in lower gears.  Steering wheel needs a bit more tweaking as it's close but not quite there.  Clutch good.  Front end noise is mostly gone too.  Recorded the ODO and filled up the tank so I can track break in miles and abysmal fuel mileage on this old dinosaur!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/26/22 7:06 p.m.

Oh and need to learn how to align this thing and get it done pronto.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/27/22 12:14 p.m.

Another 20 miles last night.   Just getting things up to temp-clutch, rear brakes, gear box, rear diff-all new bits on the car.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/27/22 10:30 p.m.

Up on the lift and I verified exhaust and front flange if driveshaft both want to occupy the same space.  I'm pulling the pipe now fmand reviewing options.  Rear trans seal leak is a real bummer on this newly installed trans (that's a few years old now).  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/27/22 10:36 p.m.

Two trips today got me to about 85 miles.  I've really missed driving this thing.   Bike takes second place but give me many of the same experiences I love driving the convertible.  Sounds, smells, weather in all forms.  I pulled the Jensen head unit and two dinky little dash speakers from this thing years ago-I lost too many convertible tops to dirt bags and E36 M3 heads when I had my Fox body convertibles so this thing has no electronics.  I ride the same way-phone in the jacket pocket or the bag.  Whatever it is can wait until I'm ready to deal with it.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/4/22 6:04 p.m.

Dummy me forgot that the header flange moved so that allowed me to move the exhaust and clear the driveshaft.  Yes!  Bolted everything back together and dropped her back down.  92f and did a 30 mile route on surface streets with no issues other than the occasional smoke show from the leaks.  I tightened the valve covers down again and the fasteners were loose.  Hope that staunches the flow.  I need to do some drastic underhood detailing  which will help me find the leak.  

7/4/22 6:23 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Outstanding!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/4/22 7:01 p.m.

Thanks Patrick.  Was out picking up some moto parts over by IKEA yesterday about noon.  Thought about dropping by but Mama had plans for the fam so I couldn't stop.  

Im glad I didn't do a steeper rear gear at this point   Fifth pulls nicely from about 50mph.  I did get the speedometer gear dead on with my combination of parts   I downloaded a GPS speedometer app and it aligns nicely with my OEM speedometer.  I'm also pleased with the brakes   I chose to stay with manual brakes though I do have a new booster ready to go.  Last time I drove it the car had front disks and rear drums.  Braking was meh.   Now with all four discs it works really well.  It's not touchy/peel your face off the windshield and requires some push but feels good and stops now when you lean in to them.   I'm pleased.

Michael-what are recommended break in miles before smokey burnouts?   

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
7/4/22 7:21 p.m.

Have fun getting it Sorted out.

I also love my Aluminum flywheel on my '64 dart. No problems and more out of the turn RPM's to be had.

A few Jaunts from say 8 or 10 Mile to Pontiac on M1 would be fun.

7/4/22 7:28 p.m.
wawazat said:  

savage!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/4/22 8:14 p.m.
slantsix said:

Have fun getting it Sorted out.

I also love my Aluminum flywheel on my '64 dart. No problems and more out of the turn RPM's to be had.

A few Jaunts from say 8 or 10 Mile to Pontiac on M1 would be fun.

A continual process toward the best it can be.  As you have read I can be my own worst enemy on this thing. 

This car has been to M1 for a few C&C events.  I've been to more than a few without it.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/4/22 8:23 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
wawazat said:  

savage!

500 miles according to centerforce.

Never according to my wallet and pile of broken E36 M3. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/10/22 9:26 a.m.

So I've been avoiding hoonage and just getting some miles on this.  Last night was beautiful so top went down and I took her out for a few laps of Woodward.  For those that don't know, a week from Saturday is the Woodward Dream Cruise.  Due to owner inflicted issues the Cougar has missed the event since 2019.  Not this year (foreshadowing possibly).  I've registered for the Berkley Cruise Festival Friday evening and Mustang Alley in Ferndale day of the cruise.  The Mustang Alley people haven't told me NO yet and I haven't paid them money so we'll see if they let my old cat park with the ponies.   I've still got a few things I want to address but it feels good to be behind the wheel.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/10/22 9:52 a.m.

Oh and I entered a local car show last Sunday then we both melted in the parking lot as it was 95F and sunny most of the day.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GBJMo4QHX9bEVZYjfy9yKfV5eG7tycrOJJIG7YTGl9lZO07wPLJx7lliYFfmjvlq