5 6 7 8 9
wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/15/20 8:41 p.m.

Got pulled away from the garage but got rotors and calipers installed and spaced correctly.  

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/15/20 8:44 p.m.

Plumbing and parking brake cables tomorrow night them rip out exhaust to get headers and junction pipes to ceramic coating joint.  I'm not sure if I'm going to use black or dark grey for these.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
3/15/20 8:50 p.m.
wawazat said:

Brian

This Ford 9” rear end is 59.25” WMS to WMS.  Same as it’s 1969 and 1970 Mustang platform mate.  

Thanks for measuring.  But, Yeah, that's going to be too wide.  

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/15/20 9:07 p.m.

No problem.  Thought that might be the case.  Shouldn't be too hard to sell here.  

You might want to check out the Ford 8" rear ends from a Mustang II or Pinto as an alternative.  

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/18/20 9:08 p.m.

Wow!  Great Craigslist sales transaction tonight.  I listed the old Ford 9" rear end at 6:30 and by 8:10 I had a buyer at my full asking price!   Outta the driveway so Wife is pleased.  Cash in my pocket so I'm happy too.   

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/23/20 4:46 p.m.

Problem solving session resolved today.  I went to install the rear intermediate brake hose that connects the body mounted hardline to the rear axle housing.  Ford 9" rear axle housings that use 31 spline axles have different mounting location and vent location than their 28 spline versions as they also had staggered shock locations which I'm not using.   The intermediate hose assembly I had wouldn't clear the shock so I had to pick up anew assembly from my suspension and brake supplier who is here in Detroit.  Paid on line and got the family out of the house for a little drive to pick it up today while I was on lunch.  I'll mount it tonight then drain trans and pull driveshaft which 8 need to replace after installing the TKO.   

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/29/20 1:33 p.m.

Alright bathroom strip and repaint along with kids at home, job, and car project make time slicing a challenge.   Back on to the car today.  

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/29/20 1:33 p.m.

Also, popped this up for Mr Asasmiley

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/10/20 3:51 p.m.

Alright alright alright.  Back on the ground for stance check on the rear.  I *think* I nailed it.  I'll push her out tomorrow to confirm.

Yes, I know lugs are loose.  No driveshaft so not going anywhere under her own power right now.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/10/20 3:53 p.m.

I had to wrap up parking brake installation today.  

White mark is where I cut the jacket for the cable.

Fluid is in the house warming up so I can fill it tomorrow.  Its pretty cold in Detroit today.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/12/20 8:37 p.m.

I’m pleased with the ride height now.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/12/20 8:47 p.m.

Nice!!! Right visual package right there.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/12/20 8:52 p.m.

Thanks Michaelsmiley

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/19/20 8:29 p.m.

I had some weekend work time and accomplished a bit on the car.   Finished up the rear end by filling the gear lube and wrapped up the parking brake cables.  I also started prep work to pull the trans.  I dropped the convertible stiffening plate too.  Today I turned the old girl in to a zero speed.   Removed the hood to hook up the Hammer Store engine support. I had to pull the valve covers to gain clear access to the back of the cylinder heads where I screwed in two bolts through chain links then took the load off the cross member.  Pulled the cross member, back up light switch, and speedo cable.   I had heard these Ford Toploader transmissions can be a bit heavy so I pulled the tail shaft and removed the fasteners.  The trans backed off the bell housing easily and I gently let the trans down all the while thinking of Indy Guys finger smashing episode.  Tomorrow night I’ll pull the Zbar system, starter, bell housing, and clutch then drain the oil and pull the pan.  The PO installed a cheap-O chrome special and it has never sealed well.  I also appear to have a rear main seal leak so I’ll replace that as well.  Then I’ll fire the parts cannon at her broadsides again.  New Kevko deep oil pan, pick-up, bell housing, hydraulic clutch system, starter nose plate, clutch, and flywheel.   Should have those later next week as speed parts suppliers must have been deemed essential.  

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/19/20 8:36 p.m.

These cheap-a$$ valve cover fasteners have always bothered me.  They gone!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/20/20 8:06 a.m.

ZOMG this car is sooooo right!  hydraulic clutch is definitely the way to go, better packaging and lower maintenance.  nice work!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/20/20 9:38 a.m.

Thanks Patrick.  I ALMOST threw the horns in that last pic just for youcheeky

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/20/20 9:38 a.m.

Anybody need a Ford top loader 3 speed?

Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap)
Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap) PowerDork
4/20/20 11:50 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Looking Good!

Be safe, it only takes a minor lapse in judgement and a split second for things to go sideways.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/21/20 8:49 a.m.

Thanks Brian!  How you healing up?

So I've been posting a bit and sneaking up on my impending dork-dom.  I figured I'd hit it in my own thread like I did when achieving my half-dork status previously.  So is it bestowed at thread 999? 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/21/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

you might have to log out and log back in to get the status to change, even after you hit the magic number.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/21/20 1:17 p.m.

Or is it 1000?   

Was there a strange GRM shutdown for about a hour today?  I had a snappy post all ready to pop up and when I hit the Post button the site was unavailable.  It just turned back on.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/21/20 1:17 p.m.

Or maybe 1001?  Yup, 1001.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/21/20 10:31 p.m.
wawazat said:

Or maybe 1001?  Yup, 1001.

Congratulations!

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/22/20 8:43 a.m.

I might have a good place for your 3 speed. What would you like for it?

Braden

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ke8nVdXRqnDuGBuk0erYkpA8QUmtlZY6CYkd6YcY4D9JBlhR6fAWiBqolPk2cKDy