LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
6/23/20 5:56 p.m.

Automotive ADD strikes again, I know a number of us here are afflicted with this.

Back in September of 2019 I was getting to the end point of enjoying my last vehicle, a 2013 C63 AMG coupe, with straight pipes.... The car was fun, fast, very loud, but had a number of issue that were starting to plague me and so my eyes turned to the internet to see what might be available. Luckily for me, the car was paid off, I don't have any debt and I had as much time as I wanted to change out cars. I didn't want to go down in power too much and I knew I wanted something with 4 doors this time so I did some test driving. I took a drive in a Audi S7, (I've had an S4 in the past) and enjoyed the drive up front, but as soon as I sat in the back I knew it was off the list. My father and I are about the same height (6') and I couldn't sit up straight.  I thought about the S6 since it's basically the same thing, but couldn't find any that I liked at the time. I took the Panamera off the list for the same reason. I did go drive a Macan Turbo, but it honestly felt super small for the exterior dimensions so it came off the list as well.

Then I spotted a 2013 M5 with only 32K miles on a local dealers website and knew I had to give it a try. I love the M5s, I've always wanted one (especially the V10, but not willing to take that chance), so I took it out.  Really enjoyed the power as its a twin turbo V8 while the AMG was NA.  Didn't sound as good, but I'll be addressing that part. It did have the comfort I was looking for, many more amenities and the price was right.  The 2013s are not as desirable as they don't have the option for the competition package and the facelifted version didn't come out for a couple more years. I made a deal trading in the AMG (it had some history I didn't know about, and I still got a good price compared to selling by myself) and took the car home.

From the dealership....

Since taking it home, I've added a couple of visual pieces, a carbon front lip and eyebrows and some tricolor grill bits.

I've also got downpipes to install, but those have been waiting until I can get some tools back from a buddy that I loaned out before the quarantine.  But they should happen this summer. I also have colder plugs to install at the same time and finally I have lined up a shop to do a dyno tune.  They are actually the shop I got the downpipes from, they had a M6 project car and they've since moved on to a 8 series to play with.

I also ordered a rear diffuser and a different rear lip spoiler, but that might be it for the exterior.  I'd like to lower it a bit, but I have an issue with a steep driveway, and the new lip already scrapes a bit.

I do have to store the car outside, under a tree, so this week I went to the future hammer store and picked up an outdoor canopty to park the car in. Putting that together is a project in the next week or so.

I'll update this as maintenance items come up or as I add additional modifications, but my 6 months so far have been super satisfying and I look forward to many more.

I'll see how it performs at a local autocross once things open back up, I expect it to be slow but entertaining.

More pics of course!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
6/23/20 11:53 p.m.

That is a bada$$ car. I bet it makes all the good sounds!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/24/20 2:04 a.m.

Congrats. She is a beauty 

how does she compare to the c63 power and acceleration wise ? 

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/24/20 8:19 a.m.

That is spectacular!

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
6/24/20 12:38 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Congrats. She is a beauty 

how does she compare to the c63 power and acceleration wise ? 

It's about 100 more HP compared to the c63.  I had the NA V8 version that ran about 450 HP, maybe a few more ponies with the exhaust opened up.  The M5 is stock at 552, but after the downpipes and tune go on, I should be at about 620, plus boatloads more torque.

The AMG does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, the M5 does 0-60 in 3.7.  The delivery is different, even with a hot v setup on the turbos there is still some lag in comparison.  Both cars are dual clutch, but the BMW behaves better.  I haven't been able to test our a good standing still launch as the tires are not super grippy.  That will be one of my upgrades later, for now they are fine.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/24/20 12:41 p.m.

Thanks for the info! Huge 0-60 difference. I have some experience driving the AMG of your model. However, never driven the M5 you purchased, thus was curious. 

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
6/24/20 12:55 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I would give it a go if you can, it's wildly entertaining, the torque hits hard. I do find traction being the limiting factor right now, it just wants to spin the tires from a stop, took me awhile to find the right balance with the gas pedal.

I'd be interested in the f90 having the AWD system, I'm sure that makes a huge difference, since the engine is the same.

I really like the amenities of the M5 more than the AMG, having a heads up display is great, I've got both heated and cooled seats now (just heated in the AMG), more adjustment in the seats themselves as well. Sound system is better too.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/24/20 1:08 p.m.

I would give it a go. But all my M and AMG friends, all drive Tesla S or X. I am the only loser still around here that pays for petrol.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/20 1:20 p.m.

All I know about modern large BMW sedans comes from online drag race vides, but good lord are they fast!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hE0MWqPPPyRKxtCZgnFTXGB57NkLmiE6wVcboq2BphSWXYL7bzDVmaMkm7KZFFLJ