Redmann87
Redmann87 New Reader
3/20/15 7:57 a.m.

So, this is just an idea I'm kicking around. I found this article while looking to see if anyone has tried it. Apparently, Toyota did it way back when. http://www.autoevolution.com/news/have-you-heard-about-this-600-hp-toyota-rally-monster-79586.html

The question I was wondering is: How feasible is that awd conversion for mere mortals? It stands to reason that they would use some form of the Celica's awd system, but the transaxle in the MR2 is mounted so the differential and axles are rear of the engine. How would the Celica transfer case send the driveshaft forwards? Through the oil pan? I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/20/15 8:10 a.m.

It's not feasible for mere mortals.

They might have used a form of the Celica's system, but it would have been extensively modified, and i doubt the information is just sitting out there.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
3/20/15 8:20 a.m.

They built a custom frame and mounted the engine and drivetrain transversely so it's easier to run the drive lines front/rear.

The trouble comes from finding a transaxle that would provide the correct gearing for the drive lines as you'd need to connect them to a pair of differentials.

So yeah, easiest would be something like an Audi or Subi transaxle, but packaging it into a mid engined solution.

Redmann87
Redmann87 New Reader
3/20/15 8:29 a.m.

Well, I dunno. I'd like to hold on to a little optimism. I think that the most expensive part of that Group S Mr2 is the 600hp engine. The pictures of the interior show a normal, cable operated, H-pattern gearbox, not like a $20,000 sequential box from a modern rally car.

I'm just really curious to see if anyone's tried it. It's such a tempting combination, that mid-engine/awd layout. I mean, it's not like it's relevant to Toyota's modern motorsports efforts. There's no real competitive advantage to keeping the information secret.

Redmann87
Redmann87 New Reader
3/20/15 8:41 a.m.

In the video, it's clearly a completely custom rear subframe, but you can't see the engine, let alone the transmission, past that massive intercooler and turbo.

I'm really wondering how hard could it be to put an awd transfer case into the stock engine bay, and has anyone ever tried it? Is it really apple pie in the sky?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/20/15 8:43 a.m.

The folks on this board have completed more wacko projects than you could shake a stick at, even if you had an awesome stick and shook it quite vigorously. I promise, there's nobody more optimistic that's actually done this stuff unless they have buckets of cash.

Sounds fun though, so do it and then show us how you did it!

Redmann87
Redmann87 New Reader
3/20/15 8:44 a.m.

Aw crap, I see it... that's a huge lump of metal... that looks expensive.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
3/20/15 9:05 a.m.

I guess one (cheap-ish) way would be to run an audi/Subaru awd trans and put a transfer case on the back of it to run a driveshaft up to a front diff. I know Woodsport put a audi v8 in an aw11 with an audi trans so it will fit with some extensive chopping and basically custom everything

series8217
series8217 Reader
3/20/15 11:58 a.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Subies (all) and Audis (almost all) have longitudinal drivelines, not transverse. All MR2s, including this one, are transverse.

The biggest hint is that the engine on this MR2 seems to be flipped around to the other side (!!). Perhaps this is a hint as to what is being done here. A transverse front engine transaxle from an application with a reverse rotation motor turned and and run backward with a normal-rotation motor?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/20/15 12:47 p.m.

Whose to say yours needs to remain mid engine?? Or transverse for that matter....

A little internets research.....

Only three of those MR2's were built, one was destroyed, the other was badly crashed (I believe it was sold and rebuilt) the other survived testing and is rumored to be owned by one of the higher-ups at Toyota. Two were mid engine rear drive and had transverse mounted engines, the other one had a north-south mounted engine in the rear and was 4WD.

then a photo search reveals....

as well as....

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
3/20/15 1:03 p.m.
series8217 wrote: In reply to turboswede: Subies (all) and Audis (almost all) have longitudinal drivelines, not transverse. All MR2s, including this one, are transverse. The biggest hint is that the engine on this MR2 seems to be flipped around to the other side (!!). Perhaps this is a hint as to what is being done here. A transverse front engine transaxle from an application with a reverse rotation motor turned and and run backward with a normal-rotation motor?

Yeah, sorry I got Longitude and Transverse swapped there.

The X-trac AWD gearbox in the 1-off AWD MR-2 was obviously longitudinally mounted along with the motor.

The others were all RWD and Transverse mounted.

So the Audi/Subi/Porsche options are still in play (depending on your budget). Hewland, Quaiffe and X-trac all have AWD transaxles available for custom solutions.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/20/15 2:24 p.m.

https://youtu.be/GfjivmApqpc

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/20/15 3:08 p.m.

lol I keep thinking that a small AWD car like a Famlia (Mazda 323) GTR drive train and converting the MR2 to front engine to accommodate might be something to look at.

If I wanted a major MR2 project though I would make a 7AGTE (7A with 4AGE head + turbo) and widebody the chassis and for the lulz put in a Corolla 6 speed as well while i'm at it and do some mods like the fixed headlights to make it a tribute to this rally car. Such a project would be surprisingly inexpensive at least for the drivetrain. 7AGE is cheap to build. You have a ready to go PNP megasquirt for it. You have ready to go turbo manifolds for it from matrix garage. You could go an easier route and get a 4AGE supercharged long block and just put that in for the turbo if you don't want to build an engine.

A widebody mr2 with massive tires in the back that had a 7age turbo would tighten my pants.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
3/20/15 3:26 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: https://youtu.be/GfjivmApqpc

"A bit hairy to drive..." "It's a fiery thing, good fun though."

Where do I sign up?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QIG3vf0RZcTsZvRXhcCD0hNSrnO7JMdMgyIbj9QkAzg6ieZZ1cN65GQFByzxb6Od