1 2
nlevine
nlevine New Reader
1/3/19 2:51 p.m.

A little light winter reading to prepare for the spring car-work season...

nlevine
nlevine New Reader
3/4/19 1:32 p.m.

Snow-day update: Been commuting in the Audi regularly with nary a care - seat heaters work (even with the ripped upholstery), engine runs well, and there are only a few minor clunks. However, when I opened the hood to top-off the windshield-washer fluid, I was greeted with this melty-looking engine cover:

Now, I honestly don't recall if it looked like that before I bought the car, but I have been getting a slight whiff of something burning, but haven't seen any smoke, or other tell-tale signs of an engine-compartment fire. Didn't have a chance to pull the cover to investigate before our most-recent snowstorm, but the car is sufficiently buried now to allow for ample time to research possible causes of the under-hood heat before spring...

BrianC72gt
BrianC72gt New Reader
3/4/19 7:15 p.m.

The inner control arms bushings will wear out fast/ tear if you tighten them fully while the car is in the air at full droop.  Common mistake. 

Tighten them up once the car is on the ground or with the wheels up on ramps.  The rubber only has so much give.  Tightening at full droop means they have excessive twisting force on them at full compression.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
Wzly7I8hbNrg9OrB0b0EKkX8b5WH41PBXlBbwwfjFNaLEEoesnpXAgUVJmYYuINC