1 2 3
solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 1:54 p.m.

As some of you may have seen I was looking for a muscle car of some sort recently after having sold my not quite cool enough 6 speed TL.

So I bought this:

As far as a "build" I don't think I will get crazy. This will be more of an ownership log.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 1:55 p.m.

"Events"

Date | Mileage | Event

08/13/2020 | 75,910 | Purchased

08/20/2020 | 75,911 | Installed Bell Tech 2" lowering shackles. Part #6400, %55 from Amazon.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 2:06 p.m.

The Purchase

So, as I said I had sold my TL and had been thinking of some sort of muscle car. Maybe a 60s-70s driver or nouveau muscle like a GTO, CTSV or G8. I looked for a while and nothing was quite feeling right. Then I remembered a customer that had mentioned selling her truck. I remembered it was an early 1990s Chevy that was red and tan and in really good shape. It was an extended cab which was a must so my wife and son can cruise with me.

Once I thought about it I couldn't stop. I was hooked. I was already working on it in my head before I even called her on Monday. I went over on my lunch break and had a look. It was literally in her barn.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/13/20 2:07 p.m.

Ooooo, purdy.  As a two tone (upscale), it's probably got cruise control also.  Got  that cool inner fender light on a string?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/13/20 2:10 p.m.

Mmmmm, factory rockers and cab corners!

Run_Away [FS]
Run_Away [FS] Dork
8/13/20 2:12 p.m.

Wow that's clean!

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 2:14 p.m.

The pics didn't come out like I planned but I'll circle back.

Anyway I looked it over Monday, asked her price and told her it was fair. Talked to my wife. Called seller Tuesday. Picked up paperwork Wednesday and went to the bank. Brought her the check and signed paperwork and drove it to my shop today.

She's 85. Her and her husband drove to Texas and bought it from her brother when it was new. It's only ever been outside overnight when they were on trips. It's been back and forth to CA and TX a few times. It's only ever seen snow once when they were surprised by an overnight storm in Flagstaff, AZ.

The memories and stories are as cool as the truck. She was clearly sad to see it go but I promised I would take good care of it and that I hope to pass it onto my sone someday. He's 3.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/13/20 2:15 p.m.

Wow, you can eat off that catalytic converter.  They didn't come off the assembly line much cleaner, nice score!

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 2:18 p.m.
914Driver said:

Ooooo, purdy.  As a two tone (upscale), it's probably got cruise control also.  Got  that cool inner fender light on a string?

It's got everything.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 2:19 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Mmmmm, factory rockers and cab corners!

That's the backside of the drivers rocker/cab corner surprise

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 2:20 p.m.
Run_Away [FS] said:

Wow that's clean!

Immaculate!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
8/13/20 2:20 p.m.

Daaaaaang that is nice. Those trucks have virtually disappeared here in the rust belt. I love it. 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 2:21 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

Wow, you can eat off that catalytic converter.  They didn't come off the assembly line much cleaner, nice score!

It's not perfect but it's awfully close.

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/13/20 2:22 p.m.

Very nice looking! I had a '95 gold extended cab with the third door. I loved it but damn if it didn't nickle and dime me to death. I got rid of it after two years just because it always needed something. Donno why, just one of those vehicles.

Glad it spoke to you. Take good care of it. yes

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
8/13/20 2:29 p.m.

Clean rockers on those are hens teeth now

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 2:38 p.m.
Gunchsta said:

Daaaaaang that is nice. Those trucks have virtually disappeared here in the rust belt. I love it. 

In Maine they don't exist. My K1500 is one of the nicer ones I've seen up here and it's got nothing on this.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
8/13/20 2:42 p.m.

So you have a lifted one already... is this one going to get lowered?

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 2:43 p.m.
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) said:

Very nice looking! I had a '95 gold extended cab with the third door. I loved it but damn if it didn't nickle and dime me to death. I got rid of it after two years just because it always needed something. Donno why, just one of those vehicles.

Glad it spoke to you. Take good care of it. yes

Thanks, goal is to do a few mild mods and keep it as nice as it is now.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 2:44 p.m.
Placemotorsports said:

Clean rockers on those are hens teeth now

I can't believe how clean they are. There are 2018s here that are way worse.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 3:00 p.m.
Gunchsta said:

So you have a lifted one already... is this one going to get lowered?

Yeah, I think I'll start with a 2" shackle to level it then maybe go with a 2" spindle and 2" hanger for a 2"/4". Thats as low as you can go reasonably without a notch and I think if I cut the frame I'll be haunted.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
8/13/20 3:37 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Sounds like a terrific idea. 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/13/20 4:16 p.m.

Can't go wrong with torq thrusts right?

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
8/13/20 4:17 p.m.

Very nice and a tonneau cover too!!! I'm running dearched rear leafs (no notch)out back with a 3 inch dropped LCA for a 3/5 on my '91 ext cab silverado....and yes with a load i've bottomed out.....by no means ideal, then again this a WIP.... 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/13/20 8:27 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Right, and they will be 5 spokes as god intended. Not the six-spoke monstrosities they made for the later Chevy 2wd trucks with the 6 lugs.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/13/20 8:38 p.m.

I did a 2/4 on my 89 extended cab long bed with the same wheels and 235/75/15. It was perfect for what i ised tye truck for, and oh so slightly tucked the top of the tire from certain angles. Ill see if i can find a picture....

Edit: picture!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m9sGslhX1oEOtyFknz89LfeE3fspAqumCIjWGCtlGPd7Xfr8NRuYAOS9IdOLiDsP