3 4 5 6 7
solfly
solfly Dork
11/15/20 10:06 a.m.

A couple notes.

I think I've made up my mind to go with the 8.5" wide front wheels. The 9.5" fit but the Belltech spindles move them out .5" each side so that may be enough to make them stick out.

There are other spindles that push them out less or not at all but I like Belltech.

Big brakes: do I need them now? No. Might I in the future? Could? Possibly? Does it make sense to go with a spindle that allows for them now? More money now but less in the future??

Really try for the build it once thing but you never know how these things progress.

Also been thinking a lot about how far to go with mods? Keep it original/bolt ons because of the condition of the truck? It's not rare so to speak but it is getting harder to find nice ones and they're getting more expensive.

Thoughts?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/15/20 10:56 a.m.

Id say that you don't need to worry about big brakes. Unless you go to an open wheel and want them for cosmetic purposes. I cant see you running this thing in a manner that you're ever going to need them.  

I also think that i would go with a square setup for wheels and tires for rotation purposes. But again. youre usage scenario is vastly different than a normal truck. Stagger would look better....

solfly
solfly Dork
11/15/20 11:00 a.m.

I think you're right. Square is better for something you're putting mileage on. I drive less than 10,000 miles a year split between 4 vehicles and I have my other truck for truck stuff.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/19/20 9:23 a.m.

just ordered 2 of these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+STX+KL12&partnum=755VR8ESTXXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

deep discount from a vendor

i'll get those mounted on the 9.5" wheels and do another test fit then I'll decide for sure what I'm doing up front

reminder to self: Belltech spindles push the wheels out 1/2"

11/19/20 9:31 a.m.

Deep discount? Where?

Im shopping tires for mine in a really odd size... .

solfly
solfly Dork
11/19/20 10:00 a.m.

one of my vendors had 2 of them collecting dust in a warehouse and was surprised someone wanted that size.

11/19/20 10:34 a.m.

Ah. Ok! Thanks! 

He doesn't have any 255/70/15 laying around, does he ?

solfly
solfly Dork
11/19/20 10:41 a.m.

they show some Generals in the system in that size, not sure if they have anything local to you?

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
11/23/20 4:02 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:
solfly said:
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to solfly :

Right, and they will be 5 spokes as god intended. Not the six-spoke monstrosities they made for the later Chevy 2wd trucks with the 6 lugs.

Trying to figure out/decide if I want to go square 17x8 or staggered. I've seen a 17x9 on the front but don't see that option in the TT. Could go 17x8 and 17x9.5 but not sure it makes sense to stagger.

Currently running 17x9.5 TSW Kalahari's  on all corners of my '91 ext cab swb

Uh this is a first for me.....actual pic(sorry for the delay) .....3" dropped LCA's and 5" dearched rear leafs....17x9 (not 9.5's) running 275/55-17's.....no it's not running and it was moments away from being put on the north side of the grosh so i can go nose down in my '03  LB7 Dmax  to do the head gaskets .

solfly
solfly Dork
11/24/20 4:30 a.m.

Hoping to get the 2 tires and wheels I do have mounted up and do a test fit today or tomorrow. If I do run the 9.5" wheels all the way around I'll need whichever drop spindles don't widen the track I think.

New York Nick
New York Nick New Reader
11/24/20 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) :

That looks awesome, I want that set up for my Burb.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/24/20 12:43 p.m.

11/24/20 3:04 p.m.

That looks AMAZING. Thats the 9.5, right? 

solfly
solfly Dork
11/24/20 6:27 p.m.

Yeah that's the 9.5". It runs on the mudflaps before full lock. 2" drop will make it worse.

Options:

1. Run 9.5"s and take the mudflaps off or trim. Also would beed whichever spindles don't widen the track width.

2. Run 8.5" with 255s up front and use Belltech spindles to push them back out 1/2"

3. ?

11/24/20 6:40 p.m.

Option 2. Id think more positive caster will increase the interference as well, so that double stack makes me believe that the stagger would be better. 

And mudflaps are awesome. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
11/24/20 8:45 p.m.

What are you two talking about?!?!?!?! I just showed you a square 9x17x275/55 setup ......find a decent front end alignment shop ......why all the mental gymnastics ????? fuss with sump thing else....like errr.....y'alls family perhaps ......I apologize, what you two are fixating on is the reason I went with lowered LCA's just sayin' peace out............ Have A Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to you both ....late Brian C

solfly
solfly Dork
11/25/20 9:24 a.m.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/1/20 9:51 a.m.

Option 2 kind of depends on whether the offset changes between those two rims. If it doesn't, only half of the 1" width change will be on the outside, so it will be half an inch narrower on the outside and if you then push them back out half an inch with the spindles it'll be right back where you started. I say run the 8.5s with NO extra width. My .02

solfly
solfly Dork
12/1/20 10:53 a.m.

the 8.5s offset is different.

solfly
solfly Dork
12/24/20 8:01 a.m.

solfly
solfly Dork
2/6/21 11:32 a.m.

spindles, hangers and front wheels ordered!

2/6/21 12:41 p.m.

2/4?

Im looking forward to seeing the results!

solfly
solfly Dork
2/6/21 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Yup! Looks like the hangers won't get here til mid march but I wouldn't have it out before then anyway.

Whats the backspace on the wheels? Im looking at some old centerline billet wheels that will need an adapter,  and trying to figure it out before I spend a bunch of money. 

Theyre 17x8.5, so yours shold be a good example for me!

solfly
solfly Dork
2/7/21 12:34 p.m.

18x8.5 10 5.14" backspace 

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FBDTlxao2iMf3TQKnaBwTsi1GDxjmbz8NQ4m0zdPIfJyQV4xliNbdptOdh70yXIL