1 2 3 4
Saron81
Saron81 Reader
6/20/20 6:54 p.m.

Spent some time under a veeeeeery rusty Super Beetle this AM in a wet driveway to pull this out. Hopefully its as good as the seller said! 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/20 7:13 p.m.

Nice

Excellent.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/5/20 8:47 p.m.

Spent a few hours and bolted it in after installing all new ignition parts to discover the fuel pump doesn't pump. Ordered a new one, but it made noises like it wanted to start on starting fluid, so that's good. 

Then scope creep....

need to put in an internally regulated alternator, and that requires pulling the cooling tins. After they come off, you can also remove the intake.. and alternator stand... so all that got cleaned.. and painted. 

Bare engine... needs cleaning

tins and intake and misc small parts painted 

more to come...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/6/20 9:32 a.m.

This looks so very familiar to me I cannot put my finger on it. devil

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/6/20 10:49 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

This looks so very familiar to me I cannot put my finger on it. devil

Yours is much prettier... but I saw the same can of Rustoleum for the shrouds, lol! 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/7/20 8:02 a.m.

Does anyone have a set of cool valve covers laying around for sale that'd fit this? Needs more than the stock black valve covers...

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
7/7/20 8:12 a.m.

CB racing has a bunch of valve covers, but most of them are kind of expensive.  I have no connection to CB but I have bought stuff from them, they have a lot of stuff you might find interesting.....

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/7/20 9:53 a.m.
Saron81 said:

Does anyone have a set of cool valve covers laying around for sale that'd fit this? Needs more than the stock black valve covers...

If they are OEM keep them they are so much better then anything you will find unless you want to spend big bucks on some empi machined ones. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/7/20 8:59 p.m.

intake and alternator stand reinstalled 

thought I'd try something different for the cooling tins:

how it'll look with the alternator... 

a lot is hidden by the carb and coil when installed though.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/8/20 12:47 p.m.

LOVE the paint on the shroud!

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/8/20 12:51 p.m.

That's really cool.  

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/8/20 12:57 p.m.

Very cool painting!  You just free-handing that?

I've enjoyed following along on your project.  Good stuff!

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/8/20 1:18 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks! Yes, it's actually just Rustoleum spray paint for the background, and then free handed the trees with decanted black spray that I used for the rest of the shroud. Wanted to do something cheap and easy to cover if I didn't like it. 

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
7/8/20 2:22 p.m.

That shroud looks very nice. It is almost a shame that most of it will be covered up.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/8/20 2:37 p.m.

FWIW...many years ago I had a 1600 VW powered Formula Vee that I autocrossed. To get extra power without paying for a dual carb setup, I adapted a pair of SUs that I had laying around from my Austin Mini. I made up two elbows from schedule 40 weld elbows and jury rigged a throttle linkage. It took a bit to get it jetted right but ran like a charm once I got the right needles for the SUs.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/9/20 9:19 a.m.

New fuel pump installed, and it's no good out of the box. Lots of cranking and no fuel... it has a clear filter, so I can see what's going on. Pull the lines off, and no suction. Pull the pump and manually operate the lever, and it does nothing. Frustrating, but should have another one today. It ran for a few seconds dumping gas down the carb.

Does look a lot better though!

As pulled:

As installed:

I may add some more trees in the visible area up top.... 

7/9/20 5:13 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

You could move the coil and wiring around a bit too.  That might give you a better view of the painting, and also tidy up the engine bay.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/26/20 3:24 p.m.

This thing has been kicking my butt lately. Has made me second guess myself and my work and knowledge time and time again these last few weeks.
Started with an air leak(s). Would not idle, and ran poorly overall. Found out (not surprisingly) that the flat paper intake gaskets that came with the new boots don't seal the intake. Took everything apart to fix and reseal that. Then couldn't get the carb base to seal... tried a new gasket. No luck. Tried a new gasket coated with sealant. No luck. Tried double gaskets, no go. It seemed like the middle of the carb would never seal, just the ends by the bolts. Flat sanded the intake. No change. Also found it leaking at the throttle shaft. 
Gave up on that carb, and ordered a new one. 

Installed it, and it instantly idled. Also notice the carb gasket it came with it is like 3/8" thick. 

At this point, I was hoping it was fixed. It wasn't. It would idle fine, but had a horrible miss right off idle. Pops and bangs like it had a horrible air leak still. Spraying starting fluid all over the intake tract revealed no leaks though. No adjustment to either carb setting seemed to make much difference. I was getting extremely frustrated at this point, and was almost to the point of throwing in the towel, and taking it somewhere. It's a simple setup though.... and I should be able to figure it out. I rechecked the valves, timing, and point gap several times. All the ignition is new. Someone suggested I check the timing advance. I had left it connected when setting the timing once, just to verify it moved... and it did. What I didn't realize was that it would not actually HOLD vacuum. So, while it moved to initially advance, it would fall back off until the mechanical advance took over at high RPM. I feel good about this being the actual issue, and will look to order a new one tomorrow AM. Really thought it was a fuel issue.... I did put new valve cover gaskets on it last week though, and it amazingly doesn't seem to leak any oil anymore! Also put in a new clutch, and no more slip! One step closer to wheelies, lol. 

7/26/20 4:27 p.m.

Sweet tires.  De ja vu...

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/26/20 7:17 p.m.

Looks great!

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
7/26/20 7:59 p.m.

That looks really good.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/26/20 9:14 p.m.

OK.  I'll say this once.

Get rid of the vacumn advance distributor.  Buy a 009 centrifugal advance distributor and be happy the rest of your life.

The first thing us old timers did in the 60s was go to a 009.  Even before exhaust headers.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/27/20 7:29 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

OK.  I'll say this once.

Get rid of the vacumn advance distributor.  Buy a 009 centrifugal advance distributor and be happy the rest of your life.

The first thing us old timers did in the 60s was go to a 009.  Even before exhaust headers.

Even use 009 on 2.2/2.5 Chrysler product's

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/27/20 7:37 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

OK.  I'll say this once.

Everyone says that the 009 with this carb will get me a flat spot that's near impossible to tune out. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ATO3aIYWbLmpfpQOumPtQ64gnTp4do8fwx5O1Izf5SVZHbcVIuQkyV267NLvwe9G