1 2 3 4 5
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
3/27/20 10:02 p.m.

this thread has less datsun content than I expected  sad

gumby
gumby HalfDork
3/28/20 6:20 p.m.

Here's a rare Saturday update. I had the day off for an autoX that COVID killed.

I began by nursing the Bluebird thru a fit of organ transplant rejection

This was difficult, I spent a lot of time futzing about not wanting to pull the trigger. It felt backwards even though it was necessary to make forward progress. There are spacers to be made, parts to clean and paint, and other things which need to be fitted that cannot be done with the engine in the bay. The first of those is the hydroboost unit.

Step1 of fitting the hydroboost to the Fox firewall: correcting the mount pattern

Once those studs were relocated, I moved onto step2: correcting the pedal ratio

Results

gumby
gumby HalfDork
3/29/20 6:30 p.m.

Arriving at a fork in the progress today, I chose to begin mocking up the brake, p/s, clutch cable routing vs. disassembling bits off the engine for cleaning/painting.

First, I nabbed the p/s cooler loop from JAM's smooshed core support and made it fit around the fox style a/c condenser

One more non-stock piece on this car that no one will see, notice, or discern as being not original....

Then I started throwing parts at the left side of the engine bay until I decided where they could all cohabitate without attempting to occupy the same physical space.

All three of these hydroboost hoses have kinks in the hardline portion from the crash. Gonna order up some replacements.

gumby
gumby HalfDork
4/19/20 8:51 p.m.

I have spent the last couple weeks of shop time chasing myself around in circles, starting 15 different tasks, but not getting much of anything finished.

• Two new hydroboost lines installed, third one repaired(return line is NLA)
  • Fit the '97 PCM in the stock location and installed the main harness
  • Laid the rest of the engine bay wiring in for mockup, scoured EVTMs to begin interfacing 1997 wires into 1987 car
  • Removed new wiring harness and set aside to clean and pare down later
  • Junkyard run for injectors and a handful of bits that were smashed in the crash
  • Began disassembly of the engine for cleaning
  • Sidetracked into mocking up new coolant pipes for the heater core
  • Cleaned lots of battery acid induced corrosion off of engine bits

None of this really makes good pics, but I took one today after the first valve cover was finished

Also note the new injectors installed in the intake on the far right. The PO of this engine had swapped out the OE 24lb injectors for stock 2v 19lb units to keep the GT PCM happy. It ran OK with this set up but was clearly handicapped by the GT maps and rev limiter. These are GM 36lb injectors from the Series II 3800. They should run about 33lb at Ford rail pressure and provide plenty of fuel to get a good tune on this mild combo.

I am about out of patience for cleaning, and I need a big visual marker to boost motivation. Paint the k-member, run some brake lines, trim the shifter hole, and cut out some spacers for k-member mounting. Then, I should be able to stuff the drivetrain into the car all clean and pretty.

...and circle back for the wiring I put aside....

gumby
gumby HalfDork
4/21/20 7:39 p.m.

Clean enough for driver status, parts mock up

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
4/21/20 9:16 p.m.

There we go!

03Panther
03Panther Reader
4/21/20 9:45 p.m.

I don't know my modular's well (despite having one now!) but I assume that's a  twin cam, as apposed to the one in my Marquis?

The "snake" looks fantastic on there

gumby
gumby HalfDork
4/21/20 9:48 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Yes, this is a 4v engine from a mkVIII with a Cobra intake

03Panther
03Panther Reader
4/21/20 10:06 p.m.

That's right, 4V... I knew twin cam didn't sound right! Thanks.

gumby
gumby HalfDork
4/24/20 6:50 p.m.

Separated the Kmember from the engine, futzed around with my electric pressure washer, then slathered on a couple coats of Ford Grey tractor paint

While that was curing, I got started on the brake lines. This one is close to done, and the other two are less complex, so maybe I can have brake lines wrapped up Sunday.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
4/24/20 10:38 p.m.

I like the grey on the K member.

What is the tubing you are using? I assume it is not the copper it looks like on my screen!

gumby
gumby HalfDork
4/25/20 6:14 a.m.

It is copper, sorta.

NiCopp brake line; very formable, high corrosion resistance.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/25/20 9:33 a.m.
gumby said:

It is copper, sorta.

NiCopp brake line; very formable, high corrosion resistance.

I love nicopp. Expensive, sure. But how many times do you want to do brake lines on each build? Also, cheap flare tools can actually flare it.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/25/20 9:34 a.m.

Also,now that power tour is pushed back - is this going to make an appearance?

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UltraDork
4/25/20 9:57 a.m.
gumby said:

Nice!

gumby
gumby HalfDork
4/25/20 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

My self-imposed deadline for getting this car back on the road was HRPT before the reschedule. Factoring in the extra time, maybe I will have the A/C sorted by August.

Still looking at the first three stops. If the finale was at Autobahn instead of Chicagoland, I might be more tempted to Long Haul.

gumby
gumby HalfDork
4/26/20 6:27 p.m.

Brake lines promised and delivered

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
4/26/20 10:54 p.m.
03Panther said:

That's right, 4V... I knew twin cam didn't sound right! Thanks.

Its the one of two I want in my Panther but didn't get! The Mercury Marauder was a mod 4.6 DOHC. 302 hp. That was probably in the back of your head.

BTW great progress, keep going! I will keep the tid bit about Nicopp for when I have to do lines again, it does look nice.

gumby
gumby HalfDork
4/30/20 6:21 a.m.

Tees dotted and eyes crossed, hopefully the last time I install this drivetrain for a while

03Panther
03Panther Reader
4/30/20 8:26 p.m.

Looks like it belongs in there!

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
4/30/20 10:39 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I agree.  Mod motors are large and I wondered how it was going to sit. It really does look pretty good.  

There aughta be  a Challenge class, "You stuffed a 4.6 in what?"  Right now gumby is in the lead.

gumby
gumby HalfDork
5/8/20 5:48 p.m.

I have begun to assemble parts around the engine bay. Mostly just laying out the big bits that will interfere with wire harness and coolant hose locations. Radiator is in, steering rack and sway bar are in. Clutch cable. I mocked up the intake tube and K&N filter, etc.
today I started messing around with the wiring harnesses. pulling out things I don't need and laying out plans to manage the integration between 1987 and 1997.

Not really anything pic worthy going on, so I staged a little RADwood flavored teaser with some bolts I received in the GRM NYG from Mezzanine and the new shift knob I bought with Tom's $10 eBay coupon.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/13/20 6:52 a.m.

Adding details so that after this is done I can read back thru and adjust my selective memories. I have several hours in depinning harness connectors, tracing circuits, removing unnecessary wiring, and trying to keep the majority of what's left tucked away. I also spent an hour last night moving the washer tank forward 3/4" to clear the sn95 underhood power distribution box, and forgot to take a pic cause it looks stock...

Dying to hear this thing run again at this point

slantsix
slantsix New Reader
5/13/20 9:44 a.m.

Sorry to be in the waayback machine here... but what is the center to center on those 200" rods..

I Love a good inline six goin' back into the bluebird some day!

Greg

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/17/20 6:57 p.m.

In reply to slantsix :

Factory early rods. 4.715"

Moderate wire tuck

Lots of wiring/plumbing/etc overlap in this left front corner

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iHiNKdoVIZKgCGJXlTxlDxNRIejNBxZ8syytbRbFDRCMGrUSz1Acco5d1UK3ubTd