1 2 3 4 5
84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/15/20 8:51 a.m.

The race tire table and sim rig are rad.  Oh and the porsche work looks good.  

We do need a side view to inspect the 911 wheels.

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
5/23/20 7:23 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

here's a side shot  they are definitely taller which makes it look a little off   

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
5/23/20 7:35 a.m.

I had a crazy idea to try and cover the small fender flares with larger aluminum flares that had room for oil coolers (e30 coolers look like they'll work) and would allow air to pass all the way through the fenders like the old Porsche GT1.  I'm still not sure if this will work without an English wheel and (if it's not canceled) I have a track day in two weeks so I can't go too crazy now anyways   I have the aluminum roughed but I'm a little worried how it will bend once I secure it to the body.   Have I gone too far?  What do you guys think?

here's the oil cooler I'm planning on stuffing in the opening.  It's a factory 30 cooler which is super cheap on eBay.   Do you all know if there's a risk to the oiling system adding all this plumbing?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
5/23/20 6:57 p.m.

It's all still roughed in while I wait for hardware but I think it might work.  

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/23/20 7:36 p.m.

Man, you don't waste time! Keep it up!

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
5/25/20 10:48 a.m.

Let me start by saying this really isn't going to do anything for me (much like everything else I'm doing) but hey why not there isn't anytihng else I can do during quarentine.  With that said, while I'm waiting for rivnuts to attached the new fenders I made the first pieces of the new roof line (I'm out of aluminum for the center section).  This roof line should be more aerodynamic but I'm sure it won't overcome the enough windsock fenders I'm also installing.  The car is beginning to look like the Iron Man Tony Stark built in a cave.  Also, the body is really not matching the 2.7L 250hp engine...   I really need a 911 motor once I can afford one.  

I'm planning on installing two plexi windows similar to the Mclaren F1 but might just go the camera/iPad route. 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
5/28/20 6:03 p.m.

Happy Friday!  Quick update with only 7 days until my next track event...  the good news is the roof extension is just about done.  I've also cut out the fender overlay for the other side but still need to get the side skirt fabed up. I have an appointment at the wrap shop on Monday so it's going to be close.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
5/31/20 10:52 a.m.

after probably a hundred hours of work it's ready to get wrapped, just in time for VIR on Friday.   I'm super happy about how it turned out.  

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/31/20 11:10 a.m.

Will you be able to compare the times etc. to it's prior set up?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
5/31/20 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro (Forum Supporter) :

Yep, but I'm going to try and take it easy and make sure the extended control arms and links hold up.  I also didn't buy new this year so that won't help.  That being said I'm sure the red mist will take over and I'll go into full send mode.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
6/3/20 7:24 p.m.

I just got the car back from the wrap shop they nailed it as usual.  I changed the design a bit on this side which was a mistake but otherwise I love it.  I'll post some more pictures this weekend at VIR.

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
6/8/20 8:38 a.m.

I made it back from VIR with good news and bad news.  The good news I didn't die... the homemade control arms and various other one off suspension changes didn't break.  The bad news is it was slower... by 5 whole seconds.  The first heat the car was incredibly loose, its now square (front track is equal to rear track) the front is 7 inches wider than stock and the rear is 4 inchs wider than stock so I expected this to be a big change.  I stiffened the front sway bar several times through the day and ended up close to a balanced car.  Its still on the narrow 235 series time trial tires so I'm going to wait for wider tires before I make any more adjustments.  As it sits its still loose which resulted in a spin at Oak Tree but overall it has far more grip.  If I took the widebody off (with its huge fender intakes) I'm sure the car would be faster, I'm loosing a lot of speed down the stretches.  I'm now weighing engine swaps, the Audi W12 is an interesting option.  Its the same length as the boxster motor and would bolt up to the Boxster S transmission. 

Here's a couple shots from the weekend, it was a small social distancing event so the organizer let me and the buddies I run track days with try and recreate the Car and Driver Lightening Lap photo.  Super fun weekend, it was great to get out there and bring back a working car. 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
7/4/20 1:22 p.m.

last week, with only two months before the baby shows up, I had a bit of panic attack that I wouldn't be able to work on the car for months (years?). So I bought an Audi 4.2l V8 and some CCWs used which just happen to fit perfectly.  I'm definitely going to need some help with the wiring.  Any Audi experts out there?  

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
7/4/20 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

surprise

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
7/6/20 5:34 a.m.

The engine is out, I've officially tutned a running car to a non-running car which I guess is progress.  Hopefully the engine will arrive this week, if it does I'll take it straight to a buddy of mine to fabricate an engine mount.   The Audi engine has typical side engine mounts while the Boxster has one front engine mount that sits in front of the belts.  I'm going to copy a design I found online that uses the power steering and AC mounting holes to attach a front mounted engine mount, I'll have to give up power steering which hopefully won't be a problem with the wide Hoosiers I have up front.  

I'm still worried about the wiring, I'm going to a local junk yard today and ripping out as much wiring as I can.  Hopefully I can use mostly stock Audi wiring and minimize the splicing

If anyone finds this thread and is doing a similar swap this website is an amazing resource.  Big thanks to Aaron for creating this. 

https://sites.google.com/view/boxsterv8swap/home

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
7/6/20 7:16 a.m.

I really enjoy all the development here. Those CCWs are going to fill out the arches just right. 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
7/12/20 8:33 p.m.

let me start this by saying I picked the wrong motor.  The Audi 4.2L swap into a Boxster has certainly been done before but as it turns out not Audi 4.2L are the same.  The differences are staggering, some are chain driven form the back of the motor.   Some are belt driven from the front.  Some have two engine mounts, some have four, etc etc.   I assumed they were all similar and bought a 2004 A8 engine because it was the highest hp for my price range, but there are problems with my price range as it turns out.  For one this engine never came in a manual so I have to reprogram the ECU manually to create a manual tune which I'm i  the process of...

the other problem(which I knew about) is that it's a drive by wire engine while my Boxster is cable driven. I planned on swapping out the whole gas peddle but the drive by wire unit actually attaches to the throttle cable in the engine bay by chance (In the drive by wire cars it's under the dash which is blocked by my roll cage).   Not the best solution but it'll sit near the top of the engine as seen below

The engine arrives tomorrow and the baby arrives in 4 weeks...pressures on. 

spandak
spandak HalfDork
7/13/20 12:18 a.m.

In reply to dps214 :

super late but I'm circling back around to this  

I got a little mixed up seeing this the first time around. For some reason I thought the spacer was on the outboard end of the arm at the ballpoint. Not sure what I was thinking. That would be fighting a ton of shear force from bump and braking. But it's on the inside and that is a lot less alarming to me. It's still not ideal as there is still some rotation induced on the control arm about the trailing arms mounting bolt but it's probably okay as long as you keep an eye on it, you're doing your own R&D here. 

Same with the sway bar mount. It will probably work okay but know that you're fighting physics. 

Excuse the armchair diagnosing, I mean well. My Boxster has never seen a track, at least you're out there doing it! Good luck with the swap, I'm stoked to see it come together 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
7/13/20 8:52 a.m.
spandak said:

In reply to dps214 :

super late but I'm circling back around to this  

I got a little mixed up seeing this the first time around. For some reason I thought the spacer was on the outboard end of the arm at the ballpoint. Not sure what I was thinking. That would be fighting a ton of shear force from bump and braking. But it's on the inside and that is a lot less alarming to me. It's still not ideal as there is still some rotation induced on the control arm about the trailing arms mounting bolt but it's probably okay as long as you keep an eye on it, you're doing your own R&D here. 

Same with the sway bar mount. It will probably work okay but know that you're fighting physics. 

Excuse the armchair diagnosing, I mean well. My Boxster has never seen a track, at least you're out there doing it! Good luck with the swap, I'm stoked to see it come together 

The armchair diagnosing is more than welcome!   I'm looking for feedback, there's a lot to Figure out here.  The good news is that it made it through a track weekend without problems and after inspection everything looks great.  Besides one control arm that came loose (whoops).  I'm going to threadlock or tack weld it together.  

Durty
Durty Reader
7/16/20 11:18 a.m.

I was sold from the beginning and I've seen your car evolve at VIR from the open top with spare tires on the rear deck to the wrap, but when I saw the fender flares I was in love. 

I really dig what you're doing with the aluminum. What are you using to cut and shape it? tin snips and gloves or something more upscale?

The new flares are awesome, but you'll definitely need more HP to get that moved through the air. You were on top of that too. 

I just couldn't believe weeks would go between your posts without people cheering you on. Well I'm here and this is awesome, well done.

Hope the baby is an amicable one and you can steal some time in the shop.

-durty

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
7/18/20 3:49 p.m.

Painful update, the Audi V8 I ordered from eBay won't work.  I ordered a D3 Audi 4.2L and it turns out the bellhousing is different from the earlier 4.2Ls.  It's staggering how many different 4.2L V8s Audi made in such a short span.  With time running out before the kid arrives I had to punt and drove 4 hours up to Pennsylvania and bought two motors that I know will work, as well as an Audi O1E transmission that will work in the Boxster.    Protip: do not use a car trailer to transport an engine, fortunately they stayed on the trailer but I wasnt comfortable with it.   Also don't use old race tires to set engines on, Ive always used tires to place engines on for transit but never a Hoosier.  Hoosiers are too stiff for an engine to sit in, in my case the were also very tall (wide).   Next week I'll start on the engine mount fab, and return a $1,000 worth of D3 4.2L parts..sigh....

nsogiba
nsogiba New Reader
7/24/20 10:31 a.m.

Whoa, this thread took a turn for the even better with the V8s. From one new dad to another, good luck!

Box4VIR
Box4VIR New Reader
8/6/20 12:20 p.m.

I'm finally making some headway after the motor debockle, the engine cradle is just about done and the exhaust is roughed in.  Next week I'll need to do some basic maintenance on the motor and start on the coolant, fuel, and throttle routing.    Everything has been much tighter than we thought, I can see why this isn't a more popular swap.    

in addition to tackling the coolant line design on the motor I need to rework the front radiator setup to add a much larger 3rd radiator.  The factory S third radiator has very small lines so I was worried about it getting enough flow.  I decided to redesign flow so both factory coolant supply lines run into the larger third rad and then split to the small radiators in the bumper.   It's going to be a nightmare.  So far I have a PowerPoint design and a box of parts. I could have gone the easy way out and added an S rad but the end goal is to  turbo this engine so I'm trying to avoid rework

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/6/20 12:27 p.m.

That trailer shot looks moderately sketchy. Glad you made it back with everything in the proper number of pieces.

I'm looking forward to seeing this thing with a V8 in it!

java230
java230 UberDork
8/6/20 2:22 p.m.

Well that escalated quickly! I have always liked the Audi 4.2

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ltlkNqCKSI0e8LxSlGThHVWvEZfzd2XAnx5IWeXpj3J57BEqtjZrhMIvn45X55Oo