4 5 6 7
Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
4/7/21 10:43 a.m.
Box4VIR said:
spandak said:

I'm a little rusty but if I remember my engineering right; I would not. The forces in the original design move along the lines of the control arm and essentially intersect at the ball joint. That's optimal. By moving the ball joint out like that the forces intersect at the spacer you made and now the distance between that point and the ballpoint is the length of the lever that's going to try and bend that spacer.  If I'm wrong someone please correct me but my understanding says that is not ideal. It might be strong enough but in theory it's not the "right" way to do it. 

Thanks for the reply.  I hope this doesn't come to custom parts.  Sounds like it might.  

Good question I'm not sure...I was going to put the same kind of mesh grill that is going to replace the rear window but it looks so good open I might just leave it.  Its obviously a track only car so options are wide open.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
4/19/21 12:14 p.m.

The fender intercoolers are done, definitely more work than I anticipated and I still have some metal clean up work but its all plumbed up and looks like it'll work.  Hopefully they'll get enough airflow.  Unfortunately I couldn't make the door duct larger without removing the door latch, hindsight I probably should have just cut it out and made something work.  

Intercooler airflow exit (fender opening at the taillights).  This is a very old photo before the engine swap project.  

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/23/21 2:53 p.m.

Any updates?

I saw this Suburban yesterday and it somehow reminded me of your build:

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
6/20/21 2:20 p.m.

Well despite the few weeks since my last post I have been making progress, it just hasn't been very exciting.  I had to pull the trans back off and install a spacer, I've been testing the electrical systems, getting the engine re-oiled, etc, etc.  Today I finally put it on the ground for the first time in a year though.  The fenders still need some massaging but its great to see it on its feet again.  I was also able to take the final track measurements, its 17"s wider than stock!  17 inches!  In person it looks like a square, who knows how it'll drive but it looks cool.  The front looks wider in these pictures (not in person) but the front is actually 1.5"s narrower than the rear.  I still have a tremendous amount of work to do and that Lotus next to it isn't helping.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
6/20/21 3:29 p.m.

how could I forget motor shots!

this photo looks stretched...it's not.  It's just 17"s wider than stock

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
7/4/21 5:16 p.m.

Still slowly making progress while I wait for the intercooler pipes.  Killing time with none sense...like this NACA duct.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
7/18/21 8:38 a.m.

99% of the parts are in   I still need to add the BOV and tighten the intake system down but the key should turn this week!   It's looking like an absolute mess    

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
8/4/21 2:25 p.m.

OK guys I'm loosing it.. I'm trying to start the car but cannot figure out a relay problem I'm having.  I have spark but I only have 7V at the injectors which is preventing them from operating.  I've traced the power back to the relay that is powering them and I am seeing 7V out of the relay as well.  Oddly, both the signal and power coming into the relay are 12V and the ground is ohm'ing out at 0 ohms (the ground is good).  I moved it just to be sure.  I thought the relay was bad so I swapped it out and have the same result...12V in and 7V out... Any ideas on what witchcraft is at play here?   

dave215
dave215 New Reader
8/5/21 8:43 a.m.

don't know anything about the Audi but most fi systems function the same way .Assuming that  the power wire to relay is a good size  I would trace back from injectors .With injectors disconnected check voltage at each injector with key on .With key off I would test that all injector grounds are open .My guess is that there is a shorted wire somewhere .

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
8/5/21 2:21 p.m.

Turns out it was a programming problem...  odd, new config file and ITS ALIVE!!!!

dave215
dave215 New Reader
8/5/21 4:38 p.m.

a major milestone ! Can't wait to hear how it drives .............

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
8/11/21 8:08 p.m.

one more step closer!   Factory gauges out and VEMs display in.  I'm not using any of the factory wiring except for the battery terminal to ground and starter.  I need to figure out a gas gauge now though.  Any ideas on using a factory sending unit with an aftermarket gauge?

oh and took the wife on a date night in the Esprit.  She even played along ha!  Man I love this car why are these so cheap?! 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
8/23/21 11:12 a.m.

Back when I made the widebody for this car I really wanted to go for the old 935 70s IMSA look and wanted to add a wing that also used the same period design.  I know I know it's a racecar it doesn't matter but whatever it's all for fun.  I've done dozens of Cardboard aided design mock ups and I think im going which the idea below   The entire wing wil be between the upright (like the 935 below).  It'll have to run right through the tail lights which I'll...cut in half maybe?   I don't know, am I crazy   Should I put a normal wing in with traditional uprights?   

infernosg
infernosg Reader
8/23/21 3:51 p.m.

Catching up now but did you figure out your fuel gauge? If it's the standard resistance type you can provide 5 or 12V and use a pull-up resistor. If you know the factory resistance levels, the supply voltage and the resistors use you can calculate the output voltage for various fuel levels. I did this to convert the resistance-based fuel level sensor in my RX7 to 0-5V output for my Haltech ECU.

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
8/23/21 5:02 p.m.

In reply to infernosg :

Thanks I'll check this out!  I haven't been able to even give it a thought yet.  Soooo much to do before my October track day which is looking super ambitious.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
8/24/21 5:44 p.m.

everyone is probably tired about hearing and seeing the seemingly simple exhaust but it's finally done O2 sensors and MAP sensors included.  I also drew up the uprights and sent them off to be water jetted.  It's all coming together....

java230
java230 UberDork
8/24/21 8:55 p.m.

Very nice. IMO do the wing how you want it, even if it's a little less efficient, that's what you want. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
8/25/21 12:59 a.m.

So cool to see this coming together

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
9/5/21 7:52 a.m.

After a couple of remote running sessions it's finally not only running but running well.  It's absolutely wild watching the car being tuned remotely while it's sitting in my garage.  Now to see if this bone stock Audi engine can handle 14psi or boost.   Judging my the leaking valve seals it's not in the best shape...we'll see on Friday when it hits the dyno

Here's a longer running video-walk around   It's actually surprisingly quite in person.

https://youtu.be/BPTV-dusCes

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
9/16/21 2:21 p.m.

I'm getting close.  I picked up the wing end plates from the water jet and really lucked out with this busted 911 Cup wing blade that just happened to be the exactly length I needed.   The wings upright connection points were pulled out in an accident but I'm not using them so it was a nice find at $50.  I still need to cut the old upright connections points off but you get the idea

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/19/21 10:05 a.m.

I'm late to this thread but I'm here lol. 

This is amazing, subscribed! 

Off-topic: Are you in the RVA area? The pics of your neighborhood looks really familiar. 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
9/20/21 1:10 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Wow, good eye!  I'm in the Northside of Richmond.  I'm guessing you're in RVA as well?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
9/20/21 1:16 p.m.

Nothing to exciting here but its finally all back together, looking back this has been a very demanding project.  I think its firmly at the bottom of slippery slope now though, so I got that goign for me...  Fingers crossed all will go well at UTCC next week.  

and just for fun, how it started...bone stock 1997 Base 2.5L Boxster

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/20/21 2:27 p.m.
Box4VIR said:

In reply to yupididit :

Wow, good eye!  I'm in the Northside of Richmond.  I'm guessing you're in RVA as well?

No, I live in Texas but will be moving to northern Virginia in a few months. I'm from Virginia though, the 757 area. And I'm very familiar with a lot of areas in the 757 and 804. 

infernosg
infernosg Reader
9/20/21 2:31 p.m.

Can't wait to see this at Hyperfest next Friday! I'll be there all weekend doing HPDE with the RX7.

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MjGq5c5SeIUuRMKJvQFgVgMVDoECr04my9i2MYRYagOhIahr53cC2tzZA0JS0VHF