5 6 7
Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
9/20/21 6:15 p.m.

In reply to infernosg :

Nice!  What color, I'll see if I can find you. I'm instructing HPDE as well so I'll probably see you out there

infernosg
infernosg Reader
9/21/21 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Bright orange FC. Between the color and the sound my car is impossible to miss.

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
3/31/22 11:38 a.m.

Test and Tune Round 2!  This time at VIR Full course.  Somehow the only photos I got are inside the VIR garage but I did get some videos (teaser clip below running with a BMW M4).  Amazingly all went very well, tons and tons of power (should be just over 600hp).  The Audi V8 stayed plenty cool and I didn't have any over boost situations.  Eventually the Spec clutch gave out but besides that it was rock solid, I'm a little blown away considering all of the backyard engineering that was done.  Next step, new clutch than Hyperfest and maybe UTCC.  

Boxster V8 Twin Turbo vs. M4

https://youtu.be/X_dGEOgq0Q4

BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter)
BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/1/22 3:27 p.m.

Amazing build.  You know there is a chap in the UK who put that engine in a lotus esprit, mostly in his shed as all good limeys do.  I think he used the fwd version of the 01E, whatever Audi calls it.    Hey I was wondering what you were using for PCV and how to prevent boost in the intake from backflowing into PCV and overwhelming it.  My 04 Cayenne Turbo has a couple of check valves on the PCV lines in to the intake to prevent pressurizing the crankcase during boost and the oil leaks which would ensue.  As with all things German car, this happens at about 100K miles give or take.  I'm guessing you just eliminated the system and are running a vented catch can because...racecar.

Have you thought of using HID light levelling sensors to datalog the effectiveness of your aero package?  My dearly departed 2000 Audi A8 had sensors mounted to the front and rear lower control arms, at opposite corners, to tell the motorized HID light the correct angle to aim down the road.  The sensors are basically just a weather proofed rotary potentiometer with a couple of plastic arms and joints.  Since you are running the same tracks, I think over time you would get some benchmarks and then can figure out the effect of adjustments /changes to your setup.  

May you never need to, but If/when your engine grenades, you may want to scrounge an RS6 engine.  There are well documented 01E swaps, and with twin turbos from the factory,  it already has uprated rods and pistons and a boost friendly compression ratio. 

My next project is a lightly bent MR2 turbo.  It seems the rear suspension jiggery pockery becomes exagerated as you lower it.  The simple inexpensive solution is a series of spacers under the hub to restore the arms to a friendlier geometry.   It still has excessive dynamic toe change to clench your sphincter, but at least the roll centers are restored  by shifting all of the outside connections downward.    I was wondering if the Boxster crowd had a similar solution.  Did you solve this with custom hubs?   You've done so much I may have missed it.  

Insane build, carry on.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/16/22 3:03 p.m.

Wow!

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eh0c03oKUSyCsGXk2Ss33YWrbkrIeORTzRAvCatMdb0UHXib0PRJRCvsP6v0dKJQ