1 2 3 4
trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/19/23 10:11 p.m.

Car is packed and ready to go. I'll be out of the house by 6:15 tomorrow to ensure I'm through tech with plenty of time to spare before drivers meeting.

Weather report continues to be schizophrenic but whatever comes, comes at this point

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/20/23 1:30 p.m.

Two morning sessions in group 1 in the rain were a great lesson in gentle, patient inputs. The group was huge and point bys were not coming at any regularity, but occasionally I'd get one or pull into pits to clear traffic.

Managed consistent lines and car control through the second session and got bumped to group 2 before lunch.

Rain has finally stopped so hopefully will get some increased traction through my afternoon sessions assuming consistent drying.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/20/23 7:18 p.m.

I found leaving the traction control on worked really well on my old E46 M3 in the rain.  Then I just had it...

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/20/23 10:30 p.m.

Instructor that rode with me through first 3 sessions had to leave a bit early so I switched to a new one for my last 2 sessions.

I hadn't used the Catalyst at all earlier, but now that I had a more consistent, predictable and point by friendly group of drivers and the track was drying quickly I used it in my last two sessions.

Still haven't figured out how to get all the data and video off of it, but looking forward to doing a big download of Saturday and Sunday data to get a sense of improvements made and opportunities for further improvement.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/20/23 10:32 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I kept DSC on for all laps in day one. I hadn't previously used it in this car but it was effective and generally not intrusive.

Will likely run without DSC tomorrow as we should have dry, warm track all day.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/20/23 10:48 p.m.

Fastest lap of today, 1:21. This was from my last session of the day where I was trying to go out and have my easiest, most relaxed session of the day since the track was finally fully dry.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/21/23 12:09 a.m.

I'd like to be down at 1:15-1:17 but time will tell.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/21/23 9:07 p.m.

I see plenty of room for driver mod improvement here but I had some consistent 1:19s today with the best this 1:19.5

My instructor will be at Thunderbolt when I go back in two weeks and I'll be shooting for a successful group 3 check ride.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/21/23 9:08 p.m.

Feedback incredibly welcome on the lap if any of you are so inclined. Trying to make the most of my learning.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/24/23 11:51 p.m.

My GoPro experiment failed spectacularly. I never switched my audio to external mic and watching session video with no audio at all isn't quite what I was after.

Live and learn

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/28/23 10:51 p.m.

From my first event this year at Thunderbolt with Hooked on Driving

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/28/23 10:53 p.m.

And two from my last session with NASA Northeast at Lightning

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
5/29/23 8:48 a.m.

Those are some great shots!

trumant
trumant HalfDork
5/30/23 9:51 p.m.

Car is getting an oil change and new brake rotors before heading to Thunderbolt this Saturday and Sunday.

Dropping it off this weekend involved me leading the way in the M and my partner following in her Elantra N. We took the long, hilly, curvy way and seeing her enjoying the drive and tight on my tail made me so happy.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/3/23 10:30 p.m.

First full lap, first session

Last lap, last session, best lap

Headed back tomorrow and looking for more improvement and less drama.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/4/23 6:23 p.m.

I had hopes of turning a 1:37 today, but I had a hell of a good time with a great group of drivers. Ran 3 sessions, ditching early and skipping the fourth as the heat had worn me out physically and the second day of track time had worn me out mentally.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/4/23 11:04 p.m.

Two days of sessions at Thunderbolt were a real pleasure. Driving solo without an instructor in the car made me miss the tips and chatter that comes with it.

I used my Catalyst in between sessions to review video, lap times and "opportunities". I'm not yet scratching the surface of all of its features but need to spend some time reading up on both at the track and after the track usage.

I also got to watch some great NASA racing. Spec3 and Spec Miata were having a blast.

Next event will be with NASA at Pocono 6/23 on the South East configuration. My oldest (16 yo) will be making his first trip to a track day with me and it will be my first time driving a car at Pocono. One prior experience there was Keith Code Superbike School on Kawasaki 600 super sports bikes. It was a blast but also 18 or 20 years ago.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/7/23 12:00 a.m.

Starting to shop for a trailer so I can experience Summit and VIR, Lime Rock and the Glen without punishing my body in M3 for 4+ hours.

Have 2 fellow NASA locals both selling open decks that have tire/wheel storage. Figure it makes sense to get the economical option and see how towing goes in practice before considering enclosed or tilt, etc.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/7/23 9:56 a.m.

I really liked my featherlite 3110 when I had it.  I do lust after the Futura trailer tho, being able to get it basically on the ground and drive on/off it is very cool

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/7/23 10:21 a.m.

Last two events going through tech has always been a learning experience. My harnesses were missing collars to keep them sliding around on the rollbar.

Before my last event I remedied that with some Race German harness collars.

The other item that has come up is that my lead acid battery (a lightweight 480CCA) is exposed to the cabin with the rear seats removed for the rollbar.

Will be installing an Optima red top AGM before my next event using the Bimmerworld mount. Given the current battery needed to be charged recently and otherwise needs to live on a battery tender, it was probably overdue for replacement.

Also grabbed spare PFC 331/332 brake pads. I expect the ones on the car to last another 5 days of sessions (at least) but I also don't want to be stuck waiting for replacements when they do wear down.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/8/23 9:34 p.m.

Two other upgrades coming in before Pocono - a polarizing filter for my Catalyst to cut windshield glare and reflections and the Bimmerworld aluminum pedals.

I've been trying to learn how to heel toe effectively and reliably and I'm hoping the slight size increase in the gas pedal and grippier surface on both gas and brake will give me more feedback and build confidence in the technique.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/17/23 12:21 p.m.

New AGM battery installed!

The Bimmerworld mount is really well made and comes with super clear instructions.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/18/23 4:11 p.m.

Pedals are not getting installed before Friday's event. Installation obviously involves lots of drilling in a confined space and removing the drivers seat. Abusing my body like that before an event will just mean I'll be regretting it both during and after the event.

I did get the car out for a bit today. Quick run to a car wash stall about 30 minutes away from home via some excellent twisties!

Just a basic spray down but I needed to get all of the forest fire ash that was deposited by the recent mid Atlantic smokeout.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/18/23 6:45 p.m.

Now that I have my PFC spare brake pads it's time to sell on my Hawk Blues with two days of sessions that were my previous spares.

Posted them on FB marketplace and the first person to contact me is going to be at the NASA event at Pocono as an instructor. Happy to not have to deal with shipping and be able to pass them along to a fellow NASA member.

With luck the money will cover my gas to drive up there and back for the event.

trumant
trumant HalfDork
6/23/23 8:36 p.m.

Rain all day today at Pocono with NASA North Rast but got five 20 minute sessions in on the South East configuration. All infield and feels like an autocross layout since it's so flat and has several short multi corner complexes.

Car performed well and group 2 drivers were predictable and responsible. I dropped lap times consistently through the first four sessions setting my PB in the 4th and then drifted it through the last session in the heaviest rain of the day.

Drive home in the rain was not fun. A lot of standing water and constant rain with Kumho V730s after three track days is not a recipe for safety but we got home safe and sound.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QvR65xycWxkrCQtmxOOuQ0yrTxsRIVdcbxdnJucSYCTmirj6UJNL1IKAeIcO9XZU