¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/23/21 6:29 a.m.

The Rausch Creek RallySprint has been rescheduled yet again for July 11th.  Entry list looks good so far:

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/21 7:14 p.m.

I talked Alan Edwards into entering as well. So now there are four 2WD Under 2.5L entries. And all of us have similar ARA speed factors, to boot, so could be a good shootout :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/23/21 8:06 p.m.

In case anyone was wondering how I plan to fill the truck's new radiator with the cap located under the core support:

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/23/21 9:33 p.m.

Speed AND access hole. That's just efficient hot rodding.

paranoid_android (Forum Forumer)
paranoid_android (Forum Forumer) UberDork
6/24/21 6:19 a.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

I bet the added lightness will give a boost in hp too ;-)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/27/21 4:23 p.m.

Couldn't resist getting both cars out for a B(runch)RZ trip with friends:

Next weekend we'll have a brief Ohio trip to deliver the white car to Jerry and fly back.

I also got up to some real fast and furious stuff with a laptop- the new tune probably doesn't make a huge amount of extra power, but it does feel like it flattened the torque curve a bit and the new rev limiter is much friendlier than the stock one.  I can also view misfire counts for each cylinder now, which should help with diagnosis if the tune itself hasn't corrected whatever caused the misfire previously:

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/21 4:44 p.m.

You should mount the laptop in the car so you can adjust your boost and NOS on the fly, if you're gonna be legit JDM tuner boi :D

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/27/21 5:17 p.m.

The car show I did the Star Wars thing at had two BRZs.  One I didn't catch the year, the other was a '16 with a turbo.  The owner broke the front end off trying to drive through the field, apparently it wasn't his first rodeo.  We talked (while I wore my stormtrooper costume) and it was fine until he started talking bagged suspension and wanting to drop it till the fenders touched the wheel lip.  I excused myself politely at that point.

SWMBO was a handler for the event and with me.  When BRZ dude said "well you probably aren't going to drive it like me", she audibly chuckled and said "well I wouldn't be too sure about that".  I think she's almost as excited to see the white one next weekend.  Almost.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/27/21 5:46 p.m.

Big stupid truck is back up and running:

It has the same hood vents and relay box as the rally car now (spares!) and two trans coolers, an oil cooler, and a power steering cooler.  I'm not totally happy with how the lines for all these coolers are put together so I'll plan on improving them some time in the future if the truck behaves itself.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/28/21 8:16 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Is water any real concern with those hood vents? Or did you kinda place them over stuff that wouldn't matter if it got wet?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/28/21 8:35 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

Passenger side is over a whole bunch of nothing, driver's side could theoretically drip onto the ECU so I might make a little hat for it.  They're basically located just outboard of the exhaust manifolds so they don't drip on those.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/28/21 8:44 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I see. Makes sense, I probably need to put a set on the Miata. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/28/21 8:46 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

The ones on the rally car are over all sorts of stuff but it doesn't live outside most of the time, so it really depends on what the car does and where it lives.  I bet there's room on a Miata to avoid water going into important stuff.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/28/21 10:53 a.m.

To elaborate on the tune a bit more- I used Xero-Limit for three reasons: very good reviews, recommended by somebody pickier than I am, and local(ish).  The tune was done completely remotely, I loaded the initial calibration I was sent, drove around with it, logged for a few miles with the laptop on the codriver seat, sent that log, and received a polished tune based on that log; but, if in the future things get more exciting either with diagnosis of issues or chasing of power, I can get to their shop in Easton and put the thing on a dyno.

I'm not totally sold on the remote tuning thing, but in this case (stock engine with essentially only changes to the exhaust) the initial results seem very good.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/28/21 8:59 p.m.

Funny thing, Xero Limit is in the same building where my shop was....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/28/21 9:38 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Every OE computer tune I have dealt with was not done with realtime tuning, it was all datalogging, tweaking the calibration, more datalogging to verify.  Could fairly be easily done remotely, albeit a little longer time wise.

The neat thing is, if they have done more than a handful, the kind of things that are difficult (for me, anyway) to get a handle on without being there like idle stability, are often something you can figure out once and then apply known tweaks to future tunes.

Plus, he could also be like, okay you have this and that and the other, I did one just like that for a guy a couple months ago, I'll start you off with his calibration and see if your specific setup needs any minor tweaks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/29/21 9:57 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Wow- now there's a building that has seen a lot of fast vehicles!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/29/21 1:37 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

The amazing part is how many years and people have sifted through there. The landlord, who built the building, raced a number of Triumphs, TR4 & TR6, the original chassis dyno was used for a Under 2 Liter 911 that was Trans Am champion around 1972, and a former employer of mine ran vintage Can-Am and F5000 cars out of it for a while. Great engine machinist named Hoop's is still a resident too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/4/21 6:52 a.m.

Took a quick trip to Ohio to hang out with rally friends and deliver the white BRZ to GRM's favorite stormtrooper:

This also marks the first time I've successfully driven anything turbocharged across Ohio without being pulled over.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/4/21 4:49 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Today she got a good bath to remove the 9hr drive worth of bugs and dirt, and vacuumed/wiped down the interior to a normal level.  Paired the cellphone, figured out the nav system, connected the phone by AUX to hear some tunes, downloaded all 5 manuals from Subaru.  SWMBO stopped by last night to see it, I think she approves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/4/21 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

The interior was clean by my standards. blush

Admittedly, my standards involve a lot of barn dirt, metal shrapnel, and pet fur.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/4/21 6:21 p.m.

One year ago this car was getting ready for its'first rallycross on stock suspension.  Today I changed the oil and raised the ride height a bit in preparation for NEFR and next weekend's rallysprint:

We also took it out to get ice cream- happy 4th!

solfly
solfly Dork
7/4/21 8:11 p.m.

Whens NEFR?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/4/21 8:59 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

The last weekend in July- https://newenglandforestrally.com/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/10/21 5:45 p.m.

We're packed up and hopefully ready for the Rausch Creek Rallysprint tomorrow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JhAeFgh8V0g8bHJdEVdO0ATPaJeEf81jZaQqOAOOvqEZzAAuaQch5CI773rhFn16