irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/2/21 11:30 a.m.

The random Subaru on its roof that you mentioned was the car being driven by Vivian, The guitarist for Def Leppard (and Dio/Whitesnake previously), incidentally. Dan and Sammie watched them crash and apparently Vivian got out of the car and put his sunglasses on and just stood around there and forgot to put out his triangles so Sammie had to lol

java230
java230 UberDork
8/2/21 11:37 a.m.

WOOHOOO!!! Congrats guys!

solfly
solfly Dork
8/2/21 12:00 p.m.

Excellent write up and congrats on the win!!

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/2/21 12:16 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

what has 9 arms and sucks?

also I really hope they don't do those virtual chicanes at LSPR because they seem like a disaster... 

kick ass job on the win guys!!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/2/21 3:45 p.m.

Thanks everyone!  So, a quick "visible damage" report.  Lots of paint worn off and probably a little metal:

Exhaust got pretty smooshed at the back, the Yoshi will need to either be repaired or retired:

Skidplates both took some good hits, I'll probably need to flatten the front one somehow:

And that trailing arm that got smacked:

Other than the mysterious disappearance of a little oil, and the most likely wiped out end bearings on the rear shocks, all seems well.  I'm very happy with this.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
8/2/21 3:56 p.m.

Awesome job, now you have to turn it into a streakcheeky

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
8/2/21 4:56 p.m.

Excellent guys, very well done! smiley

kodachrome
kodachrome New Reader
8/2/21 5:05 p.m.

Very proud of my driving partner this weekend. I see a lot of trophy pictures staged outside somewhere pretty, but thought sitting right in the spot that the car was built just a bit over a year ago was even better. 

I had to adjust to notes this weekend in the best way possible - picking up the pace as the corners went by quicker and quicker. I made mistakes in the process, but that's learning and that's rally! 

Thanks to all the GRM friends who have been so supportive of Chris! He kind of is as awesome as he makes himself sound wink

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/2/21 5:50 p.m.

I love the continual upbeat attitude.  While other people would be all whining over damage, you're all "I only broke the skidplate a little bit, and bent this other stuff, and wore out some rod ends, but none of that slowed me down too much!" yes

paranoid_android (Forum Forumer)
paranoid_android (Forum Forumer) UberDork
8/2/21 6:03 p.m.

So mud whale is now a paying sponsor?  I see the logo on the huge-normous check ;-)

It sounds like it was a great event (aside from the virtual chicanes (what the heck?!), and you two look great on the podium!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/2/21 6:08 p.m.

Dude, congratulations! Im proud of you, even though i barely know you! 

Glad the car is finally the tool you need to show your skill

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 New Reader
8/2/21 6:46 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I have to say, it's been amazing watching you turn this from a project to the podium in slightly over a year!  I've been reading along the whole time, especially following the suspension development, as I'll have a car that weighs about the same and has the same lack of suspension options.

I also wanted to say that in following amateur rally in the US since 2004, this may be one of the best pictures I've ever seen!  It's not even my car and I kinda want a giant print over my couch at home.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
8/2/21 7:30 p.m.

Great work on the win! Who took that wild picture. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/2/21 7:33 p.m.

Congratulations - love all the updates (on the car and the racing), and I'm excited to see your success with the new car!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/2/21 8:19 p.m.

It'd be hilarious if this all was posted to rallyanarchy.  Someone got a car and out on stage in under six years? That's unpossible!

Thread is definitely not quenching my desire for one of the twins.  I wonder if the gearing would play nice with the OBD-2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/2/21 9:15 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I love the continual upbeat attitude.  While other people would be all whining over damage, you're all "I only broke the skidplate a little bit, and bent this other stuff, and wore out some rod ends, but none of that slowed me down too much!" yes

Any part that gets broken but finishes the event did its' job and deserves a nice retirement.

paranoid android said:

So mud whale is now a paying sponsor?  I see the logo on the huge-normous check ;-)

Ironically enough, the check is for the exact cost of the DirtFish stickers MudWhale was created to mock.  Coincidence?

rallyxPOS13 said:

suspension development, as I'll have a car that weighs about the same and has the same lack of suspension options.

Broken Motorsports and Ignite Rallysport both fielded S13s in the past, let me know if you need me to find you some contact info for either of them and feel free to ask me about suspension stuff any time!

DrMikeCSI said:

Who took that wild picture?

The photographer goes by @chris.creatiionmachine on Instagram- it was a super well placed, well timed remote camera shot, he was at least slightly further from getting a gold Impreza to the face than the image suggests.

Pete said:

I wonder if the gearing would play nice with the OBD-2.

The 4.88 gears in mine don't seem to have upset it one bit.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/2/21 9:19 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

You also have disabled the ABS, though, I dunno if Subaru correlates vehicle speed signals from multiple sources to determine faults.  

one way to find out!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/21 2:16 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

The random Subaru on its roof that you mentioned was the car being driven by Vivian, The guitarist for Def Leppard (and Dio/Whitesnake previously), incidentally. Dan and Sammie watched them crash and apparently Vivian got out of the car and put his sunglasses on and just stood around there and forgot to put out his triangles so Sammie had to lol

I had no clue he was a rally guy, but that's pretty cool!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/21 2:25 a.m.

In reply to kodachrome :

Amazing job, I'm super proud of you guys!!!

Gzwg
Gzwg New Reader
8/3/21 3:51 a.m.

Great result, congratulations!

You mentioned a few pages ago that you have a facebook account set up as well, but it seems Any% is a very weird search term there, so not easy to find. You might want to put a direct link up?

kodachrome
kodachrome New Reader
8/3/21 3:56 a.m.
Gzwg said:

Great result, congratulations!

You mentioned a few pages ago that you have a facebook account set up as well, but it seems Any% is a very weird search term there, so not easy to find. You might want to put a direct link up?

https://m.facebook.com/anypercent.nonack

Instagram: @anypercent__ 

Hopefully that helps! Figuring out the silly social media world...

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
8/3/21 7:18 a.m.

Congrats Chris and Sara, that must feel awesome!  And to think you made it this far in one year, well that's just nuts.  I'd really like to drive the car at a rally-x event to see how it feels.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
8/3/21 8:11 a.m.

That is so freakin awesome!  Glad to see you guys having success!  1st in class!!  bad-ass!

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/21 9:10 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

I had no clue he was a rally guy, but that's pretty cool!

As far as I know it was his first rally. There is also a pretty credible rumor out there that Jon bon Jovi recently bought a rally car and may compete in it at some time in the future. STPR? That's the closest one to New Jersey lol.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/3/21 1:50 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android (Forum Forumer) :

that was my thought as well that is AWESOME! hahaha

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
asCGq8Py6x8SfibvktXLJXgVdW3nra7qcgUKi6lSw37FRwoB1HPjDdWZDwJotjXT