¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/4/21 3:24 p.m.

Some awesome photos from David Cosseboom:

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/4/21 3:37 p.m.

Awesome car........since there are so few newer RWD cars to build into rally cars, is the BRZ/FRS/86 going to become THE trendy rally car to have in the near future? Or has that already started and I'm just not paying enough attention ?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/4/21 3:41 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

There are a few out there already- interestingly, the Lexus IS250/350 platform also seems to be pretty well suited to it.  There have also been attempts at Mustangs and Genesis Coupes but not nearly as common as the Frisbee platform in terms of rwd cars from the last couple decades.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/4/21 3:57 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

How about E36s?  Those got to be popular in Scandinavialand for a while since they could be had fairly cheap from Germany after they'd fail vehicle inspection.

I mean, it's not like there aren't seemingly a dozen or two E30s on the stages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/4/21 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

There are a few, although the 318ti seems to be preferred over the standard flavor.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/21 8:15 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

There are a few, although the 318ti seems to be preferred over the standard flavor.

plus, the newest e36s are over 20 years old.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/5/21 6:10 p.m.

In case anyone was wondering about the speed and efficiency of the Hoosier contingency program, I submitted paperwork on Monday:

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/5/21 6:56 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Awesome car........since there are so few newer RWD cars to build into rally cars, is the BRZ/FRS/86 going to become THE trendy rally car to have in the near future? Or has that already started and I'm just not paying enough attention ?

The latest episode of Hooptie World Championship has me wondering about the 350z.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 New Reader
8/5/21 8:25 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

rallyxPOS13 said:

suspension development, as I'll have a car that weighs about the same and has the same lack of suspension options.

Broken Motorsports and Ignite Rallysport both fielded S13s in the past, let me know if you need me to find you some contact info for either of them and feel free to ask me about suspension stuff any time!

Thanks!  I reached out to Bill Petrow shortly after I bought the car, apparently he's been rallying on Eibach Pro-Kits and KYB AGX shocks.  That's impressive, I had AGX's on my past car, and they were on the bumpstops often at RallyCross.

I would be interested in Ignite Motorsport's contact info.  I can be reached at my username at the g'mails dot com if you don't want to publically post it.

Those pictures from David are awesome!  Great pictures like that and stories are the currency of stage rally, and make all the long night wrenching worth it.

8/5/21 9:05 p.m.
rallyxPOS13 said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

rallyxPOS13 said:

suspension development, as I'll have a car that weighs about the same and has the same lack of suspension options.

Broken Motorsports and Ignite Rallysport both fielded S13s in the past, let me know if you need me to find you some contact info for either of them and feel free to ask me about suspension stuff any time!

Thanks!  I reached out to Bill Petrow shortly after I bought the car, apparently he's been rallying on Eibach Pro-Kits and KYB AGX shocks.  That's impressive, I had AGX's on my past car, and they were on the bumpstops often at RallyCross.

I would be interested in Ignite Motorsport's contact info.  I can be reached at my username at the g'mails dot com if you don't want to publically post it.

Those pictures from David are awesome!  Great pictures like that and stories are the currency of stage rally, and make all the long night wrenching worth it.

Billy mostly just rallies on the car's roof ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/6/21 4:39 p.m.

Starting on the reprep tasks.  Skidplate straightened!

Cut the cracked section out of the Yoshi, shortened inner pipe accordingly:

Riveted together and installed:

Filled those rocker holes where the rubber plugs blew out with window weld- I considered just welding plates on but this is going to be easier to remove and easier to replace if needed:

I've ordered another pair of the AFCOs with 4-8 valving, and will put the 200lb/in springs on the old ones to use as spares and for snow events.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/6/21 4:50 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Have you put thought to revalving them yourself?

The catalog has all SORTS of interesting valves and pistons and this and that, and they say "you can tune whatever to your liking"... but I have not seen anywhere they state what device changes what, what benefits there are to progressive or linear or digressive or all the cool weird options...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/6/21 4:52 p.m.

I have considered it, but the tools and shim kits cost about as much as a few more pairs of shocks... and that's just for AFCO.  I needed spares anyway, was a little nervous not having any extras on hand.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/7/21 3:48 p.m.

Changed oil and air filter, hit the gravel blasted stuff with some quick paint, and replaced this smooshed trailing arm:

One week after one of the toughest rallies on the schedule and the car drives great again.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/7/21 3:58 p.m.

Did that tire check out?  I like the idea of keeping those arms as stock and sacrificial. Seems like they're nicely placed for the first contact on a big hit in the rear suspension/wheel area.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
8/7/21 4:05 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

You thought about boxing in those trailing arms?  You did such nice work on the front ones.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/7/21 4:23 p.m.

Scott, from what Chris described of the size of the rock that did that damage, we were both expecting a lot worse when crawling under the car in the last service. They also look to be about the easiest rear suspension arm to replace, except maybe the toe arms. 

Oh, and another reminder: the front of your yoshi needs a little skid/reinforcement. The lower leading lip looked like it took the brunt of that damage mostly because it was a catch point.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/7/21 5:25 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

That one tire is more cooked than the rest, but it's not flat, just worn.  I think it had some extra toe-in from the trailing arm.

In limited class, I can't reinforce the subframe except by welding- so I consider the stock trailing arm a sacrificial component, yeah.  I think if I made beefy ones it would just rip a tab out of the subframe on a similar hit, and the arm is a whopping $20 new from Subaru and $10 at my local junkyard.

Noted on the muffler mini-skid, although at some point I'm sure a rock will score a direct hit and it'll just explode. cheeky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/10/21 6:36 a.m.

Another fun thing from NEFR I forgot to mention- at one point we had 5 wheels/tires on the road.  The dirtbug ran out of spares, and since we run VW wheels anyway, we lent them one of ours- they promptly popped their right rear tire and installed our wheel for the remainder of the rally:

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/12/21 11:58 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

That one tire is more cooked than the rest, but it's not flat, just worn.  I think it had some extra toe-in from the trailing arm.

In limited class, I can't reinforce the subframe except by welding- so I consider the stock trailing arm a sacrificial component, yeah.  I think if I made beefy ones it would just rip a tab out of the subframe on a similar hit, and the arm is a whopping $20 new from Subaru and $10 at my local junkyard.

Noted on the muffler mini-skid, although at some point I'm sure a rock will score a direct hit and it'll just explode. cheeky

yes you can, you just cant remove metal you can only add:

"4.6.6 Cross-members Front and rear cross-members must be OEM. Strengthening is allowed by welding only. Material may only be added, none removed, must retain OEM profile"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/12/21 12:01 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

"by welding only" so no doubling up, gusseting, etc. as I understand it.  Although you could throw weld at it until you've literally built up more metal everywhere if you wanted to get silly.

8/12/21 3:00 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

"by welding only" so no doubling up, gusseting, etc. as I understand it.  Although you could throw weld at it until you've literally built up more metal everywhere if you wanted to get silly.

Not sure about that since it explicitly also says that material may be added. Iread it as meaning that you can add material assuming you attach it via welding (vice bolting it on or something like that) I would think that plating would be considered "material". It may be worth checking with Doug

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/12/21 6:06 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Welding adds material.

It would be very odd that they would allow welding reinforcement on but not allow bolting it in place, so I'm going to have to go with the "no reinforcements allowed" interpretation, absent an official clarification.

Writing simple yet unambiguous rules is not easy, I'll cut them a bit of slack.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/12/21 7:46 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Welding adds material.

It would be very odd that they would allow welding reinforcement on but not allow bolting it in place, so I'm going to have to go with the "no reinforcements allowed" interpretation, absent an official clarification.

Writing simple yet unambiguous rules is not easy, I'll cut them a bit of slack.

yeah considering the rules also say: 

4.6.3 Seam Welding and Strengthening Seam welding and strengthening of suspension points are allowed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/13/21 9:50 a.m.

Doug confirmed that you guys are correct- you can weld plates and such to the subframe, just not bolt on braces or alter geometry.  Interesting, and something to look at for sure!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tCvjaCLdA4lWUEpaP0cdpKoGV8f3sqCDCyRXYqelgYaEcHEGeqPVpJGTWtsIv3BG