1 2 3
Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
8/29/20 5:48 p.m.

In reply to FatMongo :

I think he had them posted on FB but same guy I bought the sway bars and other wheels from.  I'm basically funding his Coyote Foxbody right now, haha.  He might try to make it out to TNIA next month too.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/1/20 9:27 a.m.

Update on the Budget Track Beater.  

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/13/20 8:22 a.m.

Next update on the Budget Track Beater.  I changed out the front control arms and sway bar.  Ran into a small issue with the sway bar mounts.

dj06482
dj06482 UltraDork
9/13/20 10:01 p.m.

Is there a speed limiter on these (I think it was because of the driveshaft)? I remember reading something in a C&D Lightning Lap article about the V6 Mustang having a limiter. As I'm working my way to advanced age, though, I could be wrong. 

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070825_so-thats-why-the-mustang-v-6-is-limited-to-112-mph-video

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/13/20 11:49 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 :

That article specifically is talking about the newer 3.7 engine and transmission.  Mine is the older 4.0, I have no idea if that applies or not but worth looking into.  Thanks.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/15/20 12:58 p.m.

New video up.  This time I'm replacing the shifter bushings.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
9/15/20 8:05 p.m.

Cool.

I like the build 'series'. Maybe get some $200 eBay longtubes to annoy your neighbors with. Keep up doing youtube, your videos look pretty smooth.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/16/20 4:09 p.m.

Thanks.  I've wanted to do video for a long time but just never put forth the effort to do it.  I haven't even got my DSLR out yet though, I've been using my iphone for all the videos I shot so far.  I still need to step it up a notch.

Absolutely not on the headers.  The thought has crossed my mind about putting a nice exhaust on my 5.4 F150 because they sound amazing but I keep talking myself out of it.  I like the quiet and it flys under the radar.  Plus, if I put some dumb exhaust on it people are going to try to race me.  It's not worth it. lol.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
9/16/20 11:27 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing how this thing looks with the wheels.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/20/20 6:48 p.m.

Two part update on the the Budget Track Beater Mustang.  Lots of stuff in these videos; control arms, brakes, and panhard bar.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
9/20/20 7:36 p.m.

Solid videos.

Does the V6 have 315s all around?

Didnt you also get a set of Brembo track pack wheels as well?

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/20/20 10:01 p.m.
FatMongo said:

Solid videos.

Yes, 315's square on 18x11's.  The track pack wheels don't have tires yet.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
9/20/20 11:40 p.m.
Patientzero said:
FatMongo said:

Solid videos.

Yes, 315's square on 18x11's.  The track pack wheels don't have tires yet.

315's clear the front OK? One of the advantages of the S197s is that you can cram a lot of tire up front.

I know I asked you this before, but I cant remember your answer, do you think 305 would fit under the factory SN95 front wheel wells? Id really like a square set up on my car and I think 305s would give it a solid foot print, but I seem to recall 305s not fitting up front. I would probably run an 18x10.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/21/20 12:12 a.m.

No, I'm running 295's on a 10.5 and I had to push the fenders out about 1 1/4" for clearance.  There really isn't a good 305 available either unless you run 19's.  305/30's are too short and 305/35's are too tall.  305's are too big for a 10" wheel anyway unless you're drag racing.  275's on a 10 are perfect.  If you want bigger than that just go to 315's.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/23/20 12:08 a.m.

Here's some new pictures of the car with the wheels and brakes on.  These are 18x11's with 315/30-18's.  I haven't been taking as many pictures lately since I've started doing the video, sorry to you people that prefer pictures.  Some Ford Racing K springs are on the way to get rid of the 4x4 look and I intend to get some camber plates too.  We're registered for Track Night in America on October 15th for it's maiden voyage.

thedoc
thedoc Reader
9/23/20 4:35 a.m.

Awesome build.  I have not gone back to watch the videos as of yet.  I have a friend who auto crossed a very well sorted 6 for years.  He can drive like a bat and had the suspension set up perfectly.  He sent many, many v8's home with their tail pipes between their tires.  These cars can do very, very well.  I am jealous of the deals you are scoring!

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/23/20 11:56 a.m.

New video up!

I did a brake comparision test between the stock brakes and the Brembos. 

I did 3 stops from 60mph verified with a Garmin GLO GPS unit and distance verified with a Sig KILO850 Rangefinder.  The GPS has a refresh rate of 10hz and claimed accuracy of ±3 meters.  For the distance measurements Sig claims accuracy of ±.5yds(1.5ft) for distance under 500yds.

It was about a 15min drive from my house to the area I did the testing so tires and brakes should be up to operating temperature.  For both tests the car had the new 18x11 wheels with BFG Rival 315/30-18 tires.

Stock

1. 137ft

2. 138ft

3. 141ft

Brembo

1. 100ft

2. 97ft

3. 96.

Something else I found interesting; I came across this link with production car 60-0 stopping distances and it shows 100ft for the GT500 and 99ft for a Camaro 1LE which is right in line with my testing so I was happy to see that.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
9/23/20 12:09 p.m.

That is a phenomenal improvement in braking. ~30% reduction in 60-0 braking. Wow.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/26/20 9:15 a.m.

Here's a couple more pictures showing the difference in tires between the stock 235/55-17's and the 315/30-18's. 11" more inches, who doesn't need 11" more inches?

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/27/20 11:20 p.m.

A couple updates for a rainy day. Here are a few pics of all the new suspension pieces.

Today Mr. FedEx dropped off a couple packages. Ford Racing K springs, Maximum Motorsports camber plates, and some Ford Racing bump stops. I got it all thrown on this afternoon before the Packers game. I just did a quick alignment to drive it home, I'll get out the string tomorrow and do it right.

Yesterday I couldn't stand looking at this crappy headlight anymore so I got out some sandpaper and my buffing supplies. This is what I started with.

This is after 800 grit wet sanding.

This is after 1000 grit, 1500 grit, medium cut, fine cut, and polish. It probably would look better with 2500 grit but I didn't have any.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/27/20 11:22 p.m.

And here are some before and after pictures of the springs. I'm sure it will settle a little more with a week or two of driving. Video coming soon of the install.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
9/30/20 10:12 a.m.

More video for your viewing pleasure.  

We got the lowering springs installed and put some adjustable camber plates on.

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
10/1/20 4:05 a.m.

I rarely have time to watch the videos, but I like the concept of a "cheap" Mustang. Maybe mostly since my daugther (whose current build is outlined elsewhere) really wants a Mustang as her first car. If that is feasible or not here in Sweden remains to be seen, but...

Our Mustang market is pretty diversified, it's only the last years there have been official imports through Ford. A manual car is a must. A V8 is preferred but for an 18 year old I would not absolutely rule out a V6, I think. But I do get the feeling that a S197 is a great step up from the SN95, maybe especially if we talk V6's?

I suspect you have some input here?

The target for her first car (in 2 years from now) is to work as a daily driver but also work as a first taste of dragracing, drifting and track use. It doesn't need to be a "winner" but good enough to try these things out. 

A "cheap" early 4.6 S197 is around 10-17k$ here and a V6 is actually, looking at what is available now, not very much cheaper.  A SN95 V6 though, is another story - they are available from around 3.8k$. But the 3.8 V6....?

I kind of would want to be around the 5k$-8k$ mark, actually.

Any input or rambling is welcome.

Gustaf

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
10/1/20 7:54 a.m.

I would stay away from the SN95 V6 completely.  It's a turd and the chassis needs a lot of work compared to a S197.  It is the cheapest but will require the most money. 

A SN95 V8 car has plenty of power to get yourself in trouble, I've had 3 of these cars and I enjoy them.  The motors are reliable stock and make good daily drivers as long as there isn't snow. This is probably your best bang for the buck(kronor?)

The S197  V8 is a much better chassis, better suspension, much more parts availability, cheap brake upgrades, tons of wheel options.  As you can see in this thread it doesn't take much to turn these into a really good car but it looks like it is toward the top end of your budget - This would be my pick if you can afford it, I don't think I'd turn my daughter loose in one though. 

The S197 V6 gets you most of the same benefits with an easier to drive package for a new driver.  The V6 is only a few HP off the early V8 cars and it's still enough to be fun in my opinion. - Not all of these cars came with ABS, I don't know if that's something you care about.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
10/1/20 7:55 a.m.

Alignment time!  I show how I do my home alignments with some string and a ruler.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vMfebA3MXkVtz9aIt120lcqbg8iBghMKrobbuCLXr6ITyuZ6sSzFv7jcPmbfL6zs